garethEds Posted December 10, 2014 Posted December 10, 2014 I've been looking into App V today. The server is up and running and I've captured an application. I've installed the client onto a machine. Here I stop. I simply cannot find what to do next. Is the client meant to be visible? Is there a shortcut? I found the installation directory with some .exe files in there but that is it. Any help appreciated. This is the non-RDS version of App-V. 5.0 SP3. Thanks Gareth
Arthur Posted December 10, 2014 Posted December 10, 2014 Is the client meant to be visible? Not unless you install the App-V Client UI. End-users wouldn't really interact with the App-V client itself so it doesn't matter that they can't see it.
garethEds Posted December 10, 2014 Author Posted December 10, 2014 Not unless you install the App-V Client UI. End-users wouldn't really interact with the App-V client itself so it doesn't matter that they can't see it. Ohhhh well that makes sense. So what am I missing to get software on the machines? Need to read some more. Where does the user see the installed or available software? I've sussex everything else except the client side. Gareth
garethEds Posted December 11, 2014 Author Posted December 11, 2014 @Arthur : I'm not getting this at all. I must be missing something. This is what I have done: 1. Installed the client - just to give me some sort of indication what is going on 2. Run some PowerScript files to register the client (do these need to be run if the client is not installed?) 3. Sequenced an app and it has appeared in the client. I've managed to run the app. 4. Sequence a second app and add it to the console - but it refuses to add to the client window despite setting the access settings (Domain Users) etc 5. Tried a sync-appvpublishingserver command - It asks which server, I enter a number (2) and expect it to sync - but alas it doesn't. Only the first app is there still. Any advice you can offer? I've been following instructions off http://www.virtualisationadmin.com Gareth
garethEds Posted December 11, 2014 Author Posted December 11, 2014 @Arthur : Oohhhh hang on - it must not happen straight away. All of a sudden the other two apps have appeared. Quicktime is being an idiot though. Do these things happen automatically if the client is not installed? GJE
tmcd35 Posted December 11, 2014 Posted December 11, 2014 The server needs to publish the apps to the clients. We use SCCM here so our App-V packages are published through SCCM. Unfortunately I'm really not sure how you do it without SCCM other than the apps need publishing. You should be able to copy the .appv package to a client manually and double-click it to run the contained app. There's also, if I remember correctly, the option to have MSI's created when you sequence an app so you could publish the app through GPO's with the MSI.
garethEds Posted December 11, 2014 Author Posted December 11, 2014 @tmcd35 : I'm managing to publish the apps and eventually I can 'Update' the client app to see the newest .appv additions but how does it do this if I to not have the client? We do not use SCCM - LEA will not allow it. Gareth
Arthur Posted December 11, 2014 Posted December 11, 2014 Like @tmcd35 I also use App-V with SCCM 2012 since it doesn't require any App-V server software. The virtualized apps get deployed to device collections based on who needs them. Since we redirect our Start Menu's, I create a shortcut to the App-V apps myself which get installed to a folder within the %ALLUSERSPROFILE%. e.g. %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\AppV\Client\Integration\\Root\NameOfApp.exe @jamesfed might be the best person to ask about the App-V server side of things.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now