sidewinder Posted November 27, 2007 Posted November 27, 2007 Looking for a NAS device such as a Terastation, needs to be capable of RAID-5 but still have a 1Tb (or so) capacity. So the 1Tb terastation fails there, as RAID-5 will reduce it to 750GB I've also heard that performance on them with raid5 is very, very poor? I know a few people on here have them, so is that the case? Is there any other similar devices? Or would it be worth using something like FreeNAS and sticking some big disks in an old computer? This would be my preferred solution for home, but for school it just gives me anothe thing to support I feel. Budget is probably about £500
Geoff Posted November 27, 2007 Posted November 27, 2007 Or would it be worth using something like FreeNAS and sticking some big disks in an old computer? This is what I'd do.
dezt Posted November 27, 2007 Posted November 27, 2007 We've got a terastation here, i think it was the biggest mistake I made, buying it. I can't get the AD to integrate correctly with it so i'm just using it for storage of programs and tools rather that resources for the kids, otherwise they would just delete them. Lovely kids we have here.....
sidewinder Posted November 27, 2007 Author Posted November 27, 2007 Geoff do you know off the top of your head a reasonably priced (£200 or less) SATA RAID card that is compatible with FreeNAS or Openfiler? Im assuming using software RAID would give pretty awful performance?
mattx Posted November 27, 2007 Posted November 27, 2007 Not wanting to nip in on Geoff but any hardware card thats supported by FreeBSD will work.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now