Joanne Posted November 27, 2007 Posted November 27, 2007 So I have a teachers laptop here and it has intermittent internet on wireless. It keeps the wireless connection, but goes to local only. Does anyone know any settings that vista has that may induce this sporadic show of stupor? It's an Acer Travelmate 5510, Vista home premium... blah! Thanks.
SYNACK Posted November 27, 2007 Posted November 27, 2007 Its probably the wireless access point locking up or not providing DHCP information in the correct format http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233 . I would first upgrade the firmware on the wireless access point as Vista puts out a lot of network traffic that will confuse and lock up a lot of older wireless gear. I would also disable IP6 on the wireless interface and then if the issue persists try the MS KB above.
Joanne Posted December 5, 2007 Author Posted December 5, 2007 I have upgraded the access point firmware and i tried altering settings but it still didn't work, so I installed XP and put all the acer drivers from their website on it and it seems to do exactly the same! I flashed the bios and all that and everythign else works on the AP... I contacted acer and they said if it is a software issue they will charge me. I'm pretty sure its not but I'm scared!! I've asked the guy who's laptop it is if he wants to take a chance... any last minute ideas before i send it off?? Thank!
webman Posted December 5, 2007 Posted December 5, 2007 Have you tried the laptop on another wireless access point, using a different wireless SSID, and different channel? Also check that the WLAN card or antenna connection isn't loose - normally accessible through one of the plastic covers underneath the laptop.
Joanne Posted December 5, 2007 Author Posted December 5, 2007 yeah it happened at the guys house and at mine... everything works fine at my house i can assure you!! I don't really want to open the laptop because its brand new... otherwise i would have been there within a flash!!
Joanne Posted December 5, 2007 Author Posted December 5, 2007 everything except this laptop that is...
webman Posted December 5, 2007 Posted December 5, 2007 Is it picking up IP address settings correctly, specifically the default gateway? What about proxy settings in the browser and are you able to ping/traceroute to internet hosts, eg. Google?
Joanne Posted December 5, 2007 Author Posted December 5, 2007 yep it has the right IP, subnet and gateway pick up via dhcp. i can ping stuff... I'll play with it until the net stops working and then i shall try pinging again!
Psymon Posted December 5, 2007 Posted December 5, 2007 Its not proxy settings? Internet Explorer -> Options -> Internet Options If there is a proxy server address set in there, by the manufacturer testing, some software or accidentally, it will get a local connection, but never find the non-exsistant proxy and never allow internet access. Also, try a wireless USB Dongle to see if its a network card issue. Psy.
Joanne Posted December 5, 2007 Author Posted December 5, 2007 I don't have any proxy server in the internet options jobbly... The internet has stopped working now and with the pinging google it is timing out every 4 or 5 pings. It sent 90 recieved 68 24% loss. however many times i refresh the browser it refuses to play! I shall try and dig out another wireless card. Not sure if we have one!
Joanne Posted December 5, 2007 Author Posted December 5, 2007 So far so good with the ancient intel 2011b card!! Yay! That means it could be their crappy hardware right? I used the latest drivers for the internal one!!
Guest AustenLowe Posted December 5, 2007 Posted December 5, 2007 I had this exact problem with a batch of Netgear access points. it would work fine for a while and dip out. It crashed i think and would not pass on the dhcp information. Furthermore we had an acer aspire 1800 laptop that just refused connection at all! it detected the ssid but that was it!. Since then we have gone with the kit from over the pond.. Cisco and all is well in the world.
Michael Posted December 5, 2007 Posted December 5, 2007 @Joanne - I think you've pretty much isolated the problem. I can't really think of anything else you can try, but if you send the laptop off, make sure to include a list of everything you have tried. There's nothing more annoying than Acer (or whoever) coming back saying "have you tried this?" meaning you'll be going round in circles furthermore. Tell a lie, the one thing you haven't tried (temporarily) is disable any form of wireless security, then try again. If you still get the same/similar problems then I would say it's poor hardware or drivers, or a combination of both!
Joanne Posted December 6, 2007 Author Posted December 6, 2007 we odn't have any wireless security.... (rebels) got the same problem at home where we do have the security... it's stopped working alltogether now, so just plugged in a cable and its fine. If it turns out to be a driver issue I may have to kill people at acer! Thanks anyway :-)
contink Posted December 6, 2007 Posted December 6, 2007 I've a neighbour with the exact same problem... He's taken the unit back because a "5 minute job" turned into 2 hours of me looking like a right charlie! My advice would be to get your money back too because frankly the Acer support was just diabolical...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now