Joanne Posted October 3, 2014 Posted October 3, 2014 I heard it was 'coming soon'. Do you have a filter override logon anyway?
Arcath Posted October 3, 2014 Posted October 3, 2014 AD works fine You just need to make sure that your AD source has the same name as it reports (SCHOOL instead of school.local)
browolf Posted October 3, 2014 Author Posted October 3, 2014 (edited) Already have ad auth working with the login page. we thought a server agent sounded better than using the workstation agent. Edited October 3, 2014 by browolf
Arcath Posted October 3, 2014 Posted October 3, 2014 Already have ad auth working with the login page. we thought a server agent sounded better than using the workstation agent. I haven't tried the server agent. The client agent works fine for me its got a nice little msi and you can create an mst that will change it to point at filter.education.btlsl.co.uk so getting it out isn't a problem.
Edu-IT Posted October 4, 2014 Posted October 4, 2014 What exactly is this? Is it the page users are prompted to sign in to?
Arcath Posted October 6, 2014 Posted October 6, 2014 What exactly is this? Is it the page users are prompted to sign in to? The agent reports logons to the filtering system, I log on it tells it to consider all traffic from my ip address traffic from me. This then applies the rules for me instead of the default ones for the IP. Lightspeed runs as a layer 2 system not a proxy so it can't prompt the user for credentials like a proxy does (letting windows auto try the current user) so you need an agent on the computers to tell it who you are or you have to use a login page. The issue with the login page is that it doesn't track log offs automatically so depending how long you set the manual over ride a machine can end up having the wrong filtering for other users.
Joanne Posted October 6, 2014 Posted October 6, 2014 So basically, you use the AD thing for reporting?
Arcath Posted October 6, 2014 Posted October 6, 2014 So basically, you use the AD thing for reporting? The Agent reports the current logged in user to the filtering which then applies the filtering you've set for their AD groups etc...
Joanne Posted October 6, 2014 Posted October 6, 2014 Ah OK. Don't really require that in my environment.
Cache Posted October 6, 2014 Posted October 6, 2014 The Agent reports the current logged in user to the filtering which then applies the filtering you've set for their AD groups etc... Just curious - does this work in a Terminal Server environment as well or does it need the other agent?
Arcath Posted October 28, 2014 Posted October 28, 2014 @Cache There is another agent for terminal services/thin clients. I use it in a couple of schools with no issues. The Thin client agent runs a bit heavier than the normal one and actually filters based on session by doing the filtering on the server. It simply asks lightspeed if $user is allowed to view $website if you can it lets you use the internet if not you get a block page. Because the filtering is happening on the server you need to assign Allow All (or your highest permission group) to the server's IP manually. 1
Joanne Posted January 27, 2015 Posted January 27, 2015 I said I didn't require it... but thought it would be a good idea to implement this afternoon!! So the internet is working once the agent is installed. However, not with the filtering I have set... basically on the staff one, I have unblocked youtube (this is my test) so when a member of staff is logged in, they still cannot access youtube. I followed the BTLS instructions and whatnot... So when I access a filtered page it gives me my username in the top left... so it's pulling that... just not applying the assignment I guess. Any tips?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now