ICT_GUY Posted September 18, 2014 Posted September 18, 2014 I have a single domain controller that I need to back up. I want full bare metal recovery than can be restored with the minimal amount of fuss. Any recommendations? All replies welcome. :-)
pantscat Posted September 18, 2014 Posted September 18, 2014 Are you running 2008 R2 or later? If so - Windows Backup... Bare Metal Restore - Ask the Core Team - Site Home - TechNet Blogs
sted Posted September 18, 2014 Posted September 18, 2014 if you have an iscsi device to backup to then tbh windows server backup does a pretty good job
ICT_GUY Posted September 18, 2014 Author Posted September 18, 2014 I have server 2012 and I have been using server back up. If this is good enough then I am happy :-)
sted Posted September 18, 2014 Posted September 18, 2014 I have server 2012 and I have been using server back up. If this is good enough then I am happy :-) it just seems to work and takes up less backup space than the other program we use macrium IF you use iscsi or a dedicated drive to a unc location its pants 1
win Posted September 18, 2014 Posted September 18, 2014 I agree with the built-in windows server backup software. Just do a bare-metal backup to external USB drive and leave it in a safe place 1
BritV8 Posted September 20, 2014 Posted September 20, 2014 (edited) I agree with the built-in windows server backup software. Just do a bare-metal backup to external USB drive and leave it in a safe place FWIW ,if you need to ever do a full forest restore or roll back your schema update(rare to never in chance) , you need full system drive backup and a recent system state backup to actually carryout that full forest restore as everything has to be offline, so the backup needs to be local (e.g. USB). Just going through this with a windows 2012 R2 migration and if you end up ringing MS support, they really want you to use their backup software, so they can help. Use some other product and have a problem, call that vendor Edited September 20, 2014 by BritV8
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now