Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi all, me again!

 

Our head guy is still away and my very limited server knowledge is getting the better of me.

Our Exchange 2007 server is not sending anything and staff are wanting to use it like NOW!

 

All of the emails that anyone on site tries to send are sitting in their outbox. I have done a full restart of the server and tried to restart all Exchange Services on the server; to no avail.

Posted

Hi,

 

I'm assuming that internal emails don't send either, we're not just talking about emails to external addresses?

 

have you checked that all services that look exchange related have started okay? Anything in event viewer>

 

I'm used to 2010 rather than 2007, so might be a bit different but I'd load the exchange management console and look in toolbox for something like queue viewer. It mnay give you a clue as to what's happening.

 

meldrew

Posted

Thanks for the fast post Meldrew,

No internal emails are not sending either. No bouncebacks from internal or external when trying to send.

I have restarted all services related to Exchange. Each seemed to come back alive without any trouble.

I have also checked the Queue viewer and it seems to be empty...

 

This is driving me insane, plus the firebreathing down my neck is hot!

 

I just spoke to a couple guys who I used to work with, they suggested my server might be out of space but with over 2.5GB left on the Data drive I didn't think that would be right?

 

Going to try extending the VHD as the server is Virtual.

Posted

Yeah, space would do it - again, assuming its very similar to 2010, the databases (mail stores to you and me) and log files can all be put on different drives if required. Does your server have just a C drive or more drives that might have run out of space?

 

meldrew

Posted
Anything in the event log? this sounds like the hub transport role playing up. This can happen if it has picked up the wrong certificate or it has expired. The space thing is also a good thing to look at.
  • Thanks 1
Posted
Yeah, space would do it - again, assuming its very similar to 2010, the databases (mail stores to you and me) and log files can all be put on different drives if required. Does your server have just a C drive or more drives that might have run out of space?

 

meldrew

Thanks for the suggestions guys, turned out to be a space thing. Our log files from 30th July 2014 (all 120,563 of them) were taking up 1mb each. Our 300gb drive didn't like it.

 

The C:\ is a VHD, the D:\ points elsewhere via a share.

 

I've copied half of our logs to C:\ which has free'd up around 70-80 Gig. Hopefully our network manager is back before it fills up again.

Posted

Glad you've got it sorted for the time being - no more breathing down the neck. The logs should be automatically cleared after a successful backup, so I think your exchange backups must be failing.

 

Meldrew

  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...