Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I've setup a guest WLAN for occasional use that I want to push out a wpad.dat file for the proxy. I've got the guest pass working nicely and seem to be stuck at the point where the clients don't get the wpad.dat file (which at the minute is a simple one line entry). The wpad file is on the ruckus controller itself.

 

I'm only using the DHCP option 252 (active on the scope) to push it out and not DNS, but the clients seem to ignore it, even with 'Automatically detect settings' ticked. if I manually specify the same wpad.dat pathname in the 'use automatic configuration script' then it works fine! (This is on Win8 IE11 test clients by the way)

 

So all seems to be working, just the clients are not automatically getting the wpad.dat pathname - our dhcp is still running on an old 2003 server but that shouldn't matter really?

Edited by Sheridan
  • Thanks 1
Posted

I recently got wpad.dat auto configuration working with a bit of frustration.

 

I used DNS, not DHCP. Create a DNS entry WPAD, pointing to the WPAD.DAT server. (CNAME or A record will do).

 

In server 2008 and 2012, WDAD DNS lookups are refused as a security measure, so you'll need to enable them. See Removing WPAD from DNS block list(this bit was a lot of frustration).

 

(I spent ages trying to get proxy.pac to work, but got nowhere).

 

Let me know if you need more help.

Posted
I thought using dhcp would simplify this but maybe not! I'll have a crack at setting it up in DNS instead. DNS servers here are all 2008/12 so I'll have to unblock the wpad lookup as well.
Posted
You should set up *both* DHCP and DNS wpad methods - some OS's only support one or the other... So, you are always going to have some issues if you've only got one of them and not both setup.
  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...