Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Linux Server not using all available memory


Recommended Posts

Posted

One of my linux server only seems to be seeing 250 meg when in reality in has 2 gig. How do I fix this? Kernel configuration?

 

tia

 

Chris

 

ps Debian etch on a Dell 830 with a dual core proc

Posted
I have fixed this issue with a little help from dell. Updating the BIOS and using the bigmem kernel did not help. In the end it was the setting in the bios "OS install mode" that was the culprit. Because it was turned on it was limiting it to 256!!! I mean wtf is that all about. Anyway its fixed now. The reason I didnt have any trouble with the other 2 servers is one is an IBM and one is home made rackmount based on a gigabyte board .....
Posted
In the end it was the setting in the bios "OS install mode" that was the culprit. Because it was turned on it was limiting it to 256!!! I mean wtf is that all about.

 

Ah yeah, forgot about that feature on Dells. :)

 

Some operating systems can't install if the total amount of ram is over 2 or 4Gb. That's why Dell servers have a mode where the bios can limit the amount of ram on the install to 256mb. It's basically for lazy people so they don't have to remove the extra ram manually.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...