Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Evening Everyone,

 

Seriously hoping someone can provide me with some assistance because I'm about to lose the plot :) Quick background info for you all.

 

The admin office have just purchased a new PC to replace an old admin PC that's been used by the administrator for the past 4 years. After abit of hunting around, and given a very tight budget to work with I located this unit "ASUS K5130-UK016S".The PC has been purchased and came installed with Windows 8.1 Home Edition 64bit.

 

The PC unfortunately was unboxed and installed while I was away from the office so I was not present when the initial set up took place, however when I returned that's when my problem started.

 

The Sharp MX-M202D copier which connects to the PC via a USB cable (they wouldn't pay for the networked version) had been connected to the PC, and some drivers installed, but its not working.. I don't know what drivers were installed but I'm assured they were the ones from the Sharp website. I've listed below the steps I've already tried,

 

  • Removed the printer from the system, and went to the Sharp website myself. Located and downloaded the latest PCL6 Windows 8 64bit drivers, installed them, rebooted the computer as instructed by the install, plugged the copier into the computer once the reboot had finished. Windows detects the printer is plugged in, and then promptly lists it cant find a suitable driver.
  • I've tried the automatic update to search online for a driver, but Windows states no driver can be found online.
  • I've tried downloading the other drivers listed on the Sharp website.
  • I've tried manually installing the copier and manually setting the USB port the copier is plugged into.
  • I've tried installing the copier using the original install CD it shipped with. When i tried the CD, the scanner part of the copier was installed ok and was fully working, however the printer still doesn't show up.
  • I've tried disabling driver signing incase the driver is causing Windows8.1 issues.
  • I've tried connecting the copier back upto the original computer, sharing the printer, and then trying to install the copier from the other computer. This method fails as it still states it is unable to locate a suitable driver for the install.
  • I have also tried using a printer migration tool to zip all the printers installed on the original computer and move them over to the new system. The copy worked ok, however when I plugged the copier into the new computer, I still didn't have a working copier on the new computer.

 

I've spend the last 2 days on and off working on this, plus time on Saturday and I really really dont know what to do next for the best. Really stuck and desperate to get the copier installed onto the new computer, so I can free the old one up for redeployment to another role. Can anyone please give me some suggestions on what I can try next, or if anyone else has had similar issues with their Sharp MX-M202D printer on Windows 8.1.

 

Thanks everyone.

 

Neil

Posted

These things are a PITA with Windows 8, I did get one working in the end but not 100% sure it was due to the drivers.

 

Try these 2 drivers:

http://www.sharp.co.uk/cps/rde/xbcr/documents/documents/Service_Information/Drivers/SH_B03_SPLC_TWAIN_1306a_English_64bit.exe

http://www.sharp.co.uk/cps/rde/xbcr/documents/documents/Service_Information/Drivers/SH_B03_SPLC_TWAIN_1303a_English_64bit.exe

 

I am in the office tomorrow morning and I think we have one of these knocking around so will take a look.

 

Let me know if either of these work. If you had gone for the network version which is basically adding a jet direct to the device (known as MX-NB12) it would work but the USB on these if fiddly.

Posted
Thanks Matthew. I think I've already tried those 2 drivers however at the moment I'm willing to give anything another try. I'll give them a try and see how it goes. Thanks again.
Posted
The other option I'm thinking is to try and get a USB - RJ45 Print Server unit and plug the Sharp into that. The only issue being of course it will still be connected to the print server unit using the USB cable.
Posted (edited)
Just a quick question. What's the difference between the two drivers you've listed? The other thing I wanted to check is when you install them, do you just run the setup file and let it do it all itself, or have you found a way to extract the drivers from the original package. I've found that when you run the install and it un-compresses the files to a new folder, it still appears the files are compressed within the folder so you cant access the core .ini file to point the copier to in order to manually install the copier. Thanks Matthew. Edited by DOS101
Posted

One is just a newer version.

 

You can use 7Zip to extract them but I just run the setup and it searches for the machine and installs it. There should be no problem.

Posted (edited)
Thanks again. I'm not in the office at the moment, but I'll try and remote the system in abit. Its all abit complicated. I work full time as an IT technician for a local college. I'm also doing the IT admin work for the local church office which is where the printer is located. So I'm having to do a lot of the work remotely and in the evenings. The admin in the office knows a bit about computers and so keeps "helping". I'm seriously thinking I'm going to have to start locking the computer down and use the support account I've created to do the admin work. The office needs bringing into a proper corporate standing, including some IT Policies written to keep things in line. I.e the new internet router was installed last week, and installed by someone else. I made a few foolish assumptions, went in yesterday started checking and found that none of the default settings on the router had been updated. So now its running a secure password, new SSID name, new password to connect to it, etc etc. Thanks again. Edited by DOS101
Posted
Just been notified that our copier supplier will remote into the computer and install the copier drivers for us. Lets see if they find it any easier than I did, installing it with the Sharp drivers off the website :) Will wait and update when I hear more.
Posted
According to the copier engineer, Sharp don't make a driver for this model of printer for Windows 8. Strange because on the Sharp website they say they do. His suggestion is to purchase a router print server to attach between the printer and the router to enable WiFi printing that way. So basically there suggestion is to make some more money by selling us a network unit,, but then we'll still need a driver to print to the copier anyway. Does anyone else think this just sounds like a massive fob off on the part of the copier company, and a way for them to make some more money.
Posted

Thanks Mathew. I think I'm getting abit further down the line now and can sort of see what they mean. I've downloaded the drivers you listed, but when I attempt to install them I get the following error message.

 

"The Printer Driver is not compatible with a policy enabled on you computer that blocks NT4.0 Drivers"

 

I've done some research and all of the solutions I've found so far require you to turn this policy off using gpedit.msc which is not included in Windows 8 Home Edition. I've emailed Sharp to see if they can provide any assistance with the driver but I'm not holding my breath. Any suggestion?

Posted
If you get no where with Sharp let me know and I will use my contacts there.

 

Thanks. Annoying thing is, if I had 8.0 Pro, I'd be ok because I could just edit the GPO to allow it to install the NT4.0 Kernel driver. The upgrade from Home to Pro is about £100 so will wait to see what Sharp say/how much the Copier Vendor quotes for their Router Module. They have said the price also includes install, so would love to know how they plan on installing it. Thanks for your continued support.

Posted
Sorry Matthew didn't see this reply sorry. Yes ran a custom install and selected that the Copier was connected to the computer via USB. Had the cable unplugged and the unit turned off while I installed the drivers. Rebooted the computer, plugged the USB cable into the computer and turned the copier back on again. The computer detected the copier but will not install the drivers for it. I've manually tried to update the driver and that's when I get the error message regarding the Policy on the computer blocking NT4.0 drivers. If you could speak to your contact at Sharp and see how difficult it would be for them to edit the current driver to make it a user driver rather than a Kernel driver to make it compatible with Windows 8 Home. Thanks Matthew.
Posted
These things are a PITA with Windows 8, I did get one working in the end but not 100% sure it was due to the drivers.

 

Try these 2 drivers:

http://www.sharp.co.uk/cps/rde/xbcr/documents/documents/Service_Information/Drivers/SH_B03_SPLC_TWAIN_1306a_English_64bit.exe

http://www.sharp.co.uk/cps/rde/xbcr/documents/documents/Service_Information/Drivers/SH_B03_SPLC_TWAIN_1303a_English_64bit.exe

 

I am in the office tomorrow morning and I think we have one of these knocking around so will take a look.

 

Let me know if either of these work. If you had gone for the network version which is basically adding a jet direct to the device (known as MX-NB12) it would work but the USB on these if fiddly.

 

Sharp have come back to me and stated that the link to the 1st driver as specified in the above post should work. If needs be I can remote in for you if you want, drop me a PM.

Posted
These things are a PITA with Windows 8, I did get one working in the end but not 100% sure it was due to the drivers.

 

Try these 2 drivers:

http://www.sharp.co.uk/cps/rde/xbcr/documents/documents/Service_Information/Drivers/SH_B03_SPLC_TWAIN_1306a_English_64bit.exe

http://www.sharp.co.uk/cps/rde/xbcr/documents/documents/Service_Information/Drivers/SH_B03_SPLC_TWAIN_1303a_English_64bit.exe

 

I am in the office tomorrow morning and I think we have one of these knocking around so will take a look.

 

Let me know if either of these work. If you had gone for the network version which is basically adding a jet direct to the device (known as MX-NB12) it would work but the USB on these if fiddly.

 

Sharp have come back to me and stated that the link to the 1st driver as specified in the above post should work. If needs be I can remote in for you if you want, drop me a PM.

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted
Hi Matthew. Thanks for the reply. Since we last spoke things between myself and the church have changed. I've become somewhat annoyed with their attitude towards me and a distinct lack of communication from them regarding questions I've asked them, I've left this issue with our external copier supplier ,as even though I expressed my concerns over the quote for the add on print router, I have had no more contact from the church since that even after a number of attempts to contact them. I have spent many hours attempting to fix this issue for free and the general attitude now I have decided to withdraw my services from them now.. Thank you for all your assistance and I'm sorry I couldn't finish on a more positive note.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...