bossman Posted October 11, 2007 Posted October 11, 2007 I have a question which I hope someone can answer and it is this: Has anybody done both a OS upgrade from w2kSP4 to win2k3R2SP2 and SQL 2000 standard to SQL 2005 enterprise upgrade on the same server? If they have could they let me know how they went about it as we have a dilemma in the fact we only have a week to sort it.
Ric_ Posted October 11, 2007 Posted October 11, 2007 SIMS huh? I started thinking about this today... IMHO the best way to upgrade an OS is to blitz a machine and re-install. This will require an extended period of downtime (£££££ in overtime I suspect). It is easy enough to use Enterprise Manager to backup the database to a removable disk and even copy any user data off. The SIMS bit is what I need to think about a bit more.
Michael Posted October 11, 2007 Posted October 11, 2007 Hi bossman, I did exactly that a few weeks ago. Was running Windows 2000 SP4 (member server) and SQL 2000. First thing before performing any upgrade is back up the server! Create a Windows 2003 SP2 slipstream disc (keeps things simple) and perform an OS upgrade. Once this is done, I recommend you run Windows Update and download post SP2 updates, including IE7 and .NET 1.1, 2.0 and 3.0. There aren't that many. You're then in a position to install SQL Server 2005. In my case I installed the Standard edition, then applied SP2 and Visual Studio SP1. SQL 2000 and SQL 2005 will happily work together on the same server, then allowing you to migrate the database from 2000 to 2005. In my case though Birmingham City Council plan to do this sometime in November when Sims is officially compatible with SQL 2005. Hope this helps.
bossman Posted October 12, 2007 Author Posted October 12, 2007 @Michael: Have you had any problems with Sims post upgrade? How is sims running with the upgraded OS?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now