Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

OS X Mavericks Server/Workgroup Manager + SMB windows shares.


Recommended Posts

Posted

I know I have posed in the past about this but just need a little more information.

Background info.

I have a suite of Imacs all running OSX 10.7.5 at the moment. I have a server also running 10.7.5. I manage them with a mixture of workgroup manager and remote desktop. The staff and students log in with their AD credentials and have some windows network shares mounted to the desktop something like this :-

smb://example.domain/shared_area

As a test I have upgraded my test Imac from 10.7.5 to 10.9

When I log in as a student now I no longer see :-

 

 

• My windows mounted shares (smb://example.domain/shared_area) on the desktop

 

• My dock has changed (my preferred items not there was set by workgroup manager)

 

• My homepage (set by workgroup manager)

 

• My wallpaper (set by workgroup manager)

 

 

Now all the apps EG Garageband are moaning at my users when they log in they need updating but I need to move to 10.9 to upgrade.

I was just after some advice for the best plan of attack. I have two days at the start of Jan to get this right before the school is back and need the room up and running on 10.9.

My plan was update the 10.7.5 server to 10.9 server and then all the clients.

My question is how to I remount my share, I’ve read that all I need to do I change it from smb:// to cifs:// and it’ll mount. Is that correct? I’m just after some guidance and if anyone has had to the same as me and any mistakes they made or any recommendations - Thanks!

Posted

Workgroup manager hasn't been supported since 10.8 but still sort of works as you have seen. From what i have read, only settings applied to computers or computer groups in workgroup manager get applied.

You need to start looking into profiles for managing your mac's but its very limited as of 10.8 and i haven't tired 10.9 yet.

 

As for your problems

 

Are you sure its not mounting the share?? just because it isn't shown on the desktop doesn't mean it hasn't mounted.

I believe apple have changed the way that dock and wallpaper get set so i doubt they can be managed with workgroup manager anymore.

I don't use safari so i don't know if this works or not.

  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...