Chuckster Posted November 20, 2013 Posted November 20, 2013 (edited) I am using the latest version of Wordpress 3.7.1 and I've managed to create a quite a lot of pages and posts, with a theme that I like. Everything was going great until I noticed that the URL was always something like this http:/website.name/?page_id=2 Thereafter every page I visited ended up with ../?page_id=#number I've had a look at permalinks and I set it to 'Post name' from the default selection so that every page gets listed with it's page name - and not an ID number. Ever since that change every page I visit in my website (bar homepage) always gives me a 404 error. I can see it is a very common problem when searching for a solution on the int'net, which there aren't any. The things I've tried so far are: Different version of Wordpress. I had an old copy of 3.3.1 and this still produced 404's on every page Used the default theme in versions 3.3.1 and 3.7.1 that comes bundled with Wordpress and I still get the 404 error Tried editing the .htaccess file but I haven't any ideas what I'm doing in it I know many of you are using Wordpress on your websites and I could do with your help immensely. I've invested so much of my time into Wordpress that the website could near enough go live. Edited November 20, 2013 by Chuckster
rush_tech Posted November 20, 2013 Posted November 20, 2013 it appears to be putting the page title in the url here
synaesthesia Posted November 20, 2013 Posted November 20, 2013 Have you checked the wordpress forums? Loads of support there (they're really excellent) and this is something that comes up a lot. Using pretty URL's as they're called means you need to enable the MOD_REWRITE module in Apache or whatever you're using. Do a quick search for permalink/pretty url on the WP forums. 1
Chuckster Posted November 20, 2013 Author Posted November 20, 2013 Have you checked the wordpress forums? Loads of support there (they're really excellent) and this is something that comes up a lot. Using pretty URL's as they're called means you need to enable the MOD_REWRITE module in Apache or whatever you're using. Do a quick search for permalink/pretty url on the WP forums. Holy SMOKES! You the man! Appreciated!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now