Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Wireless network SSID stopped working after certificate expired


Recommended Posts

Posted

I have a wireless network setup with multiple SSIDs for the past couple of years using a RADIUS server on two of the SSIDs that is on one of the DCs. My DCs are running Windows 2008 R2. Now I have checked the server for any event log saying that the RADIUS server has stopped working, but I have found nothing. The only thing I do know is that a certificate expired and it won't let me renew it. This happened the day before the two wireless SSIDs that authenticate via RADIUS stopped working. (it expired on a Sunday, and it wasn't working on Monday)

 

I'm not sure how to recreate the certificate as I have never created a certificate before. Our last technician created the last certificate a couple of years ago. I'm not even sure what kind of certificate I would need to create or what to put in it. Even if I did recreate the certificate, I think it needs to talk to the NPS server somehow (or the NPS server needs to know where it is somehow). I can't find anywhere in the NPS server where you tell it to look at X certificate to authenticate RADIUS clients. I'm not really sure why it didn't auto renew. I think it might not have been auto renewable.

 

In the mean time I have created a new SSID and have it setup using normal WPA2 encryption with a shared key. I then have the server push this SSID out via Group Policy (using a logon script) to our computers for a temporary fix so that the PCs at least have a connection.

 

Anyone have a clue what I'm talking about and might be able to help me renew my certificates and get my two SSIDs authenticating again?

Posted

Which certificate expired? There are two, one NPS gives to clients during authentication, and if using EAP-TLS, one that the client gives to NPS during authentication.

 

The NPS server will need a valid cert first, it doesn't give an expired one to clients.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...