Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Outlook Web Access keeps prompting for a username/password


Recommended Posts

Posted

We have a Exchange 2003 Standard Server and most of the staff use OWA to check their e-mail. Just recently whenever we have to change a users password, it them refuses to accept the new password for logging onto OWA.

 

I've narrowed it done to some sort of DNS issue because it only fails when the user goes through the url http://mail.xxxx.org/exchange but it works fine for http://ipaddress/exchange

 

It works fine externally from school using the url http://mail.xxx.org/exchange

 

Just wondering if anyone else has come across this issue or knows how to fix it!

 

Adam.

Posted
I've noticed that there can be a delay between changing a user's password and Exchange picking up that change... does the problem disappear after 15mins or so.
Posted

Yer!! Doesn't work if I change the password in AD or the user is prompted to change the password.

 

I've also tried changing the password on the Exchange Server (as it a DC) and the PDC neither make a difference.

Posted

Are you sure that Exchange and AD are talking then? Perhaps run netdiag on the Exchange box... should point out any DNS problems if that is the case.

 

If you enter the old password for a user, does it allow authentication?

Posted

I'm prettu sure they are taking because it works:

 

a) when using the IP address of the server (http://ipaddress/exchange)

 

b) externally from school using either IP address or mail.xxx.org

 

I give netdiag a try.

 

It doesn't accept the old password either

Posted
Have you made sure "Integrated Windows Authentication" is enabled for your OWA? Its in IIS Manager.

 

Yer Integrated Windows Authentication is enabled.

 

Try installing IE7, this is a known bug with IE 6

 

I'll give that a go.

Posted

Don't know if it will help you, but we got stumped by a similar situtation - before I totally destroyed the proxy server at our site..

 

Anyway,

 

The solution we had was to use the internal domain name\username...

 

so something like mycollege\myuser.

  • 1 month later...
Posted

If the internal domain name\username thing works, then another way of doing it would be the users full email address...

 

something like [email protected]

 

I found that it was easier to tell users to enter their full email address rather then explain which slash to use....

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...