pughburt Posted August 5, 2013 Posted August 5, 2013 Hi All, Having an issue with Xenserver and a vm running 6.1 of xentools. Basically we needed to migrate one of the virtual disks from our old storage repository to our new one and reattach it to its Windows Server 2k8 VM. I detached the old VHD and did a copy via the console. I have done that successfully and can now see a copy of the VHD on the desired SR. The problem now is after reattaching it Windows sees it as a brand new disk and shows the drive as missing even though I did a carbon copy using the following syntax: xe vdi-copy uuid= sr-uuid= Can someone possibly help me discover why windows does not recognise it as it was on the old SR? Maybe some issue with meta data? Regards Josh
dhicks Posted August 5, 2013 Posted August 5, 2013 Having an issue with Xenserver and a vm running 6.1 of xentools. Possibly upgrade to 6.2? The problem now is after reattaching it Windows sees it as a brand new disk and shows the drive as missing even though I did a carbon copy using the following syntax: xe vdi-copy uuid= sr-uuid= You could try dd from the command line - XenServer SRs are simply Linux LVM volumes, you should be able to treat them as any other block device. XenServer keeps its metadata in the first LVM volume on the SR - not as a file in a filesystem or anything, it simply writes directly to the SR, so you can simply do "cat " to see the SR's metadata (in XML format). Don't include any ampersands in the VDI names, it confuses XenServer.
twin--turbo Posted August 6, 2013 Posted August 6, 2013 I did it fine in 5.x a couple of months ago but can't remember what process I did without refering to the notes. Rob
pughburt Posted August 7, 2013 Author Posted August 7, 2013 Ah would be great if you could get the notes Rob. Dhicks upgrading the tools just isn't feasible for us at the moment due to implications it could have on our live VMs at our data center. I will give that command a go later and would I be able to transfer that metadata into the gui? Thanks for your help guys.
pughburt Posted August 8, 2013 Author Posted August 8, 2013 Still not resolved this one. May it be possible to use the xenconverter and do it that way?
twin--turbo Posted August 8, 2013 Posted August 8, 2013 I detached the disk in XenCenter, then moved it usign xenserver to the nwe SR. Rob
pughburt Posted August 14, 2013 Author Posted August 14, 2013 Hi Rob yes this has worked previously for me but on this occasion Xenserver didn't allow me to. Anyway all sorted now did the conversion via xenconverter and moved the vm cleanly to the new SR
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now