Koldov Posted July 4, 2013 Posted July 4, 2013 (edited) So, the Head needs a new PC and she wants it NOW! She's VERY, VERY BUSY! Her focus isn't, shall we say on I.T. but she wants it all at her fingertips immediately she clicks on something. So, with a certain budget consciousness I am looking at this spec: Intel® Core™i3 Dual Core Processor i3-3240 (3.40GHz) 3MB Cache ASUS® P8H61-MX USB3/SI: uATX, USB 3.0, SATA 3.0Gb/s 4GB KINGSTON DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (1 x 4GB) 120GB KINGSTON V300 SSD, SATA 6 Gb (450MB/R, 450MB/W) In a case with all the usual, 350w PSU, DVD RW, card reader etc. Needs a base license as we are EES: Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 32 Bit w/SP1 - inc DVD & Licence (£79) Total = £422 This is just an online quote thing from PCSPECIALIST. Or something like this (with monitor!) for £399 (yes I know it's PCWORLD, but it's close and I need it quickly)... ACER iMedia S 2870 Desktop PC with S220HQLBBD Full HD 21.5" LED Monitor Deals | Pcworld Edit: Just to say I'd have to wipe this and install 7 (not ready for 8 yet ). Any better ideas? Kol. Edited July 4, 2013 by Koldov
plexer Posted July 4, 2013 Posted July 4, 2013 Just because she's impatient doesn't mean you should forego normal policies. Ben
Koldov Posted July 4, 2013 Author Posted July 4, 2013 Just because she's impatient doesn't mean you should forego normal policies. Ben We don't have any... We are a little... How can I put it... Behind the times? I have never actually had to source a new desktop in the year or two I've been here! Kol.
plexer Posted July 4, 2013 Posted July 4, 2013 You are still bound by school financial policies best value for the tax payer etc... no matter what she may think. Ben
sted Posted July 4, 2013 Posted July 4, 2013 Home premuim cant connect to a domain can it? they have ees so they just need the cheapest windows license they can get to pro/enterprise upgrade from
sonofsanta Posted July 4, 2013 Posted July 4, 2013 Your SSD is SATA 6GB/s but your motherboard is only SATA 3GB/s which will slow it down. You're better off getting a Samsung 840 120GB anyway, much better drive then get a H67 board, or any 7-series board (e.g. B75, H77).
RichB Posted July 4, 2013 Posted July 4, 2013 they have ees so they just need the cheapest windows license they can get to pro/enterprise upgrade from Read incorrectly sorry!
Hefferzzzz Posted July 4, 2013 Posted July 4, 2013 Home premuim cant connect to a domain can it? Needs a base license as we are EES: nope
chazzy2501 Posted July 4, 2013 Posted July 4, 2013 you should get an all in one they look cool and that's all a non-tech savvy user cares about: DP700A3D-A08UK, Samsung 700A3D
Koldov Posted July 4, 2013 Author Posted July 4, 2013 Your SSD is SATA 6GB/s but your motherboard is only SATA 3GB/s which will slow it down. You're better off getting a Samsung 840 120GB anyway, much better drive then get a H67 board, or any 7-series board (e.g. B75, H77). Hmmmm... Yup I can see where you're coming from, if I were building a rig for myself I would look at those sort of nuances, however those aren't the options given to me as I'm not building a bespoke system from scratch. I'm not sure it's going to be noticeable as it's just an office PC. Sure it has to be fast and able to open loads of applications at once, but I don't think it needs to access the extra 3GB/s as it won't be sustained throughput and the option for a slower SSD isn't there. Kol.
elsiegee40 Posted July 4, 2013 Posted July 4, 2013 You should have a policy somewhere that says when you must apply Best Value procedures (i.e. Get 3 quotes) For us it is purchases above £500. For my academy where I am a governor it is £1000
Koldov Posted July 4, 2013 Author Posted July 4, 2013 (edited) You are still bound by school financial policies best value for the tax payer etc... no matter what she may think. Ben Well for sure, I won't go into detail and bore you with what a fantastic Head she is, or what wonders she has done for the School, how much resource she draws in with consultancy, or what a leap in the Ofstead rating she has achieved for us. A good PC to help her continue and improve all of the above is a fantastic use of tax payers money. Sorry if the slightly jocular nature of my opening statement, raised your apparently jaded hackles... Kol. Edited July 4, 2013 by Koldov 1
Koldov Posted July 4, 2013 Author Posted July 4, 2013 (edited) You should have a policy somewhere that says when you must apply Best Value procedures (i.e. Get 3 quotes) For us it is purchases above £500. For my academy where I am a governor it is £1000 Hmmmm... I will go and seek out my Bursar! Normally, if I think we need it and I scour the net for the best deal (and speak to some regular suppliers) it's all good. Hopefully it's as yours as I'm looking at the sub £500 mark, also I have two quotes flying around from this thread alone . Kol. Edit: And since when is looking at the PCWORLD website not a quote! Edited July 4, 2013 by Koldov
VeryPC_Tom_M Posted July 4, 2013 Posted July 4, 2013 Dropped you a quick PM, to see if we can help in any way. 1
sidewinder Posted July 4, 2013 Posted July 4, 2013 Whatever you end up getting, get it from someone decent, be it VeryPC, Stone, Novatech, Zoostorm, anything that can at least give you a decent warranty and let you spec it out, and probably get it to you really quickly. Would really advise not going to PC World for this 3
Koldov Posted July 4, 2013 Author Posted July 4, 2013 (edited) Whatever you end up getting, get it from someone decent, be it VeryPC, Stone, Novatech, Zoostorm, anything that can at least give you a decent warranty and let you spec it out, and probably get it to you really quickly. Would really advise not going to PC World for this Haha! Trust me, I really strongly agree with you. I have little love for that place and have warned many people against going there and to only go if you a) Know what you're talking about, or b) See a fantastic deal. The once or twice I have been there for a quick and easy component purchase it's just full of young salesmen, bamboozling little old ladies into parting with their money, buying out of date tech or monster gaming spec rigs just to get an email from their grandson... Kol. Edited July 4, 2013 by Koldov
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now