PrimaryTech Posted June 14, 2013 Posted June 14, 2013 Hi all, We're currently retiring a set of 15 laptops and replacing them with 32 iPad mini's. The laptops are house in a lapsafe trolley and I'm looking at adapting it for the iPads. Currently the back of the trolley is as in the 3 pictures: What I'm intending to do is remove the PSU's from the back of the trolley and use the 4 IEC sockets with 4 of these 8 Way socket to give me 32 sockets for the iPads. The ratings of the laptop brick PSU's are 19v and 4.22A x 15 laptops. The ratings of the iPad chargers are 5V 1A x 32 iPads. Am I right in assuming that the trolley will be able to handle the iPads as their current draw is less than that of the laptops?
ICTDirect_Dave Posted June 14, 2013 Posted June 14, 2013 Should be fine. You should built a Sync / charge unit in there too
round2it Posted June 14, 2013 Posted June 14, 2013 (edited) Be careful as it will not meet regulations. I did the same as you and I got an sparky to check it out as it is all metal lap safe trolley. I never buy the trolley fitted with psus now You could get lap safe to change it for ipad chargers. Not sure of cost but it would cover you The power strips I fitted have surge protectors fitted just in case Edited June 14, 2013 by round2it
round2it Posted June 14, 2013 Posted June 14, 2013 (edited) Ce I think only mentioned because we had a warning a while back that all our trolleys had to be ce approved If you mess with them then the ce certificate would be invalid (presumtion) When we got our lap safe trolleys they come with a certificate Not sure of the law regarding modding but if it is not as sold then they can not be held liable for fire/damage or injury to users/ property. http://www.lapsafe.com/support/safety Edited June 14, 2013 by round2it
round2it Posted June 14, 2013 Posted June 14, 2013 I may be talking rubbish about the ce Certs but in this day and age of Blame/claim. Insurance might not be covered etc. You just need to be careful that's all I was implying
plexer Posted June 14, 2013 Posted June 14, 2013 He's not modifying them as such just unplugging the internal supplies and plugging in a manufactured pdu instead so the CE marked equipment hasn't been compromised nor the electrical integrity or chassis earthing. Ben
round2it Posted June 14, 2013 Posted June 14, 2013 (edited) Not as supplied = modified The lapsafe trolley we had has kettle lead sockets inside to connect the bespoke charging units possibly designed not to allow easy connection of different power strips. And the unit had one three pin uk socket to connect the fans psu. Not trying to p on his bonfire but its best to check things are legal that's all. The ce cert supplied covers him for the original unit not any additions. It's all because a teacher got a shock from a laptop trolley due to residual charge in the unit. Guidance - Laptop computer charging trolleys safety alert This is the bit I thought might apply in this case Any laptop computer charging trolleys in use should be safe and fit for sale within the EEA. This can be established by checking for a CE mark and the Declaration of Conformity. The manufacturer or supplier will be able to confirm this. Where a trolley does not have a Declaration of Conformity and a CE mark it may not be dangerous but assurances should be obtained in writing from the manufacturer that the product is safe for the intended use. The following recommendations are for situations where laptop computer charging trolleys remain in use where there is no Declaration of Conformity and CE marking. Any modifications to electrical equipment and systems that are required should be carried out by a competent person and discussed with the manufacturer / supplier so as to avoid invalidating any warranty. Reply was just to point out the safety implications if any. I have no doubt that it would be safe.and is easy to do Hope this post helps the op with a decision and maybe points out something that they might not have thought of it may not be relevant in this case but safety is paramount. Edited June 14, 2013 by round2it
PrimaryTech Posted June 21, 2013 Author Posted June 21, 2013 Thanks for the replies, I had not thought of the regulation side of things. Your lapsafe trolley sounds identical to ours round2it, and I'm doing just as Plexer says, using those for IEC sockets for manufactured PDU's, the bespoke psus for the laptops will be removed. I will check with our insurance company as to changing use, I know it will be safe as the iPads are pulling much less power but I'm also aware that the trolley is 5 years old.
round2it Posted June 22, 2013 Posted June 22, 2013 Only mentioned it because when ce Certs are issued they are for the trolley supplied. Any other additions can not be covered by the company who supplied it. I'm sure the changes are fine and wish you well with it. Better to be safe than sorry. You could always get it pat tested after. Next time don't buy lap safes with bespoke psus. Lesson learnt buy myself. 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now