Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Any way Template homedir = domain/activedirectorygroup/user?


Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi

 

I have my samba server configured for winbind auth against my active directory server but would like the home directories to point to the OU group they are organised in.

 

We are a school and have our users in year groups on the ad server based on the year they leave- it's a lot easier this way. I'm using the samba server as our main file server so I'd like the home directories to follow the path

 

/domain/year group/user

 

At the moment I am using "template homedir = %D/%U" but this will end up with a giant unorganised list of users- is there a variable don't know about?!

 

As I mention they are arranged in year groups in active directory groups but I don't see a way of mapping this?

 

Any ideas? Thanks in advance

Posted

You should be able to use %G/%g for that setting, but there's a samba bug (dating back to 2004) which means it will only return the numeric group ID - and not the name that you are after.

 

There is however a possible fix attached to the bug report if you are confident enough patching the source and re-compiling.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...