Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

I seem to have a slight problem on my laptop. I today tried to log in as root to do some bits and bobs only to be told that my password was wrong... I thought I must have typed it incorrectly but it seems that I did not :?

 

I know what the password should be... it has worked flawlessly until today!

 

I have tried to receover the password in single user mode but seems not to have had any effect!!!!

 

I really need some help with this... all ideas welcomed!

Posted

I guess this is Linux, if you're referring to user "root".

 

If not, any damn admin user can reset a password in windows.

 

 

Usually when I screw up the password, which occurs more often than it should, I boot the machine onto a install / rescue CD. hunt around until I find the passwd file.

 

It's always in a different place when I come to find it, but if you check the distro help, they'll tell you where it should be.

 

copy it. ;)

 

Then edit it, and change the password field to blank.

 

Guess what this does ? :)

 

Reboot, and then change the password.

 

 

..and people say that Windows is more secure than Linux.. pft

Posted

Num lock is NOT on... otherwise half the letters in this post would be numbers.

 

I forgot to mention that my laptop has decided not to boot into Knoppix too.

Posted
Num lock is NOT on... otherwise half the letters in this post would be numbers.

 

I forgot to mention that my laptop has decided not to boot into Knoppix too.

Aye but was it on when you set the password?

 

"It's not daft if it works"

Posted
Num lock is NOT on... otherwise half the letters in this post would be numbers.

 

I forgot to mention that my laptop has decided not to boot into Knoppix too.

Aye but was it on when you set the password?

 

"It's not daft if it works"

 

Nope... however, I have done it again and this time the password took :D

 

Still some niggles but I'll get there I'm sure ;)

Posted
Nope... however, I have done it again and this time the password took :D

 

Still some niggles but I'll get there I'm sure ;)

Hmm... user error? :twisted:

 

Glad you got it sorted... :D

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...