fiza Posted May 5, 2011 Posted May 5, 2011 (edited) Does anyone know how I can select jsut 1 PC to send a deployment to? I cant seem to be able to do it. I select an update, say "Spring update 2011" and say deploy. It automatically picks up all PCs with agents installed and deploys. This includes my SIMS Server. Gives me a warning that my deployment includes a SQL Server. Am I missing something, a setting somewhere or a click I didnt click? Edited May 5, 2011 by fiza
fiza Posted May 9, 2011 Author Posted May 9, 2011 Over 130 views but does no one know the answer? Or is no one out there using SOLUS3 ?????
vikpaw Posted May 10, 2011 Posted May 10, 2011 I haven't tested the new one. I tested a beta ages ago, i think it was a very early one and you had the choice to deploy (i think). I thought one of the testers / knowledgeable people might have chipped in by now. I'm pretty sure @matt40k knows what the score is? Have you logged on SupportNet or checked there?
Theblacksheep Posted May 10, 2011 Posted May 10, 2011 No Solus3 here, in test with LEA, stuck with Solus2
vikpaw Posted May 10, 2011 Posted May 10, 2011 Ok, i thought you could, but looking at the manual and it occurred to me that what would be the point of deploying to only 1 machine? You can't update a machine without updating the server to which it connects else it will stop working. If you update the server, and then only 1 machine all the others will stop working. So in practise you'd only ever want all machines to take updates, after you're updated the server. If it's for testing purposes, i guess you only include a test server and 1 or more test workstations in your deployment environment.
budgester Posted May 10, 2011 Posted May 10, 2011 Installed SOLUS 3 here, and so far other than a pretty interface I've not managed to get it to do much, only managed to get the client installed on about 4 machines out of 100, and that was more work than installing SIMS manaually.
vikpaw Posted May 10, 2011 Posted May 10, 2011 I heard SOLUS 4 automates the install of SOLUS 3 so might be worth waiting for that 1
fiza Posted May 10, 2011 Author Posted May 10, 2011 Ok, i thought you could, but looking at the manual and it occurred to me that what would be the point of deploying to only 1 machine? You can't update a machine without updating the server to which it connects else it will stop working. If you update the server, and then only 1 machine all the others will stop working. So in practise you'd only ever want all machines to take updates, after you're updated the server. If it's for testing purposes, i guess you only include a test server and 1 or more test workstations in your deployment environment. What I meant was for the circumstances when you have built a clean machine with no SIMS on it and just want the current version of SIMS installed on it. All other machines would already have the current version so you only want SOLUS 3 to install the agent and install SIMS on that 1 machine. Hope that makes sense? At the moment it seems that you deploy an update and it goes to all machines. How do you install SIMS on a clean machine?
vikpaw Posted May 10, 2011 Posted May 10, 2011 (edited) The manual states, that first you need to have sent the update to all machines, then it will pick on new ones, or something weird like that. EDIT: from page 88 of solus cubed manual. IMPORTANT NOTE: Automatic installation of SIMS workstation software can only occur after the Deployment Service has already delivered an update to existing devices that have been assigned the SIMS Workstation target type. Edited May 10, 2011 by vikpaw citation
matt40k Posted May 10, 2011 Posted May 10, 2011 Basically if you've install SOLUS3 and you've added a SIMS workstation to SOLUS3 it will install the highest version of SIMS you've deployed via SOLUS3. So if you've applied Spring 11 via SOLUS2, you'll need to apply Spring 11 again via SOLUS3. With Discover you need to redeploy Discover for each new additional workstations, it'll skip the ones that's already deployed too. It's on the TODO list - I think it's in the next release out soon 3.4. It also includes support for FMS (YaY).
fiza Posted May 13, 2011 Author Posted May 13, 2011 So if I have already deployed Spring 11 via SOLUS2 will adding the workstation into SOLUS3 and deploying again actually overwrite the Spring 11 SOLUS2 deployment? Is this how SOLUS3 will update the workstation to .net4?
matt40k Posted May 13, 2011 Posted May 13, 2011 OK, so you install SOLUS3, you deploy Spring 11 - this re-applys\installs SIMS Apps, SQL apps, centralserver etc (the database is a separate release) - no biggy. Once you've done this, you update the environment and add all the SIMS workstations (I would do a group at a time of say 5 or so), this will then connect to the workstation, check if .NET 4 is installed, if it isn't it will copy it, then install it, once it's installed it'll install the S3 agent. Once the S3 agent is installed and running and it will then install SIMS.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now