+ Post New Thread
Wired Networks Thread, **HELP** hp a5500-ei-24g sfp + 3rd party modules in Technical; Hi guys. we have some edge switches hp v1910 and the 3rd party modules work fine on them..... however, we ...

Thank Post

**HELP** hp a5500-ei-24g sfp + 3rd party modules

Hi guys.

we have some edge switches hp v1910 and the 3rd party modules work fine on them.....

however, we also have a stack of four hp a5500-ei-24g-sfp and the 3rd party modules dont work.....

the log says something along the line of:

sfp check sum error this transceiver is not comparable with the board etc etc

i have 30 of these at the moment!

the firmware on the a5500 is 5.20 r2208

so does anybody know if any other 3rd party modules can be bought.... or cheap HP 1 gbic modules can be bought..... i need approx 30-40 of these (over 4 stacked sfp core switches)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You can buy compatibles. Only difference is an ID chip in the HP ones. Sickening really. If you need lots then you'll probably be better off with those and keep a few spares, but also keep an eye on warranties that come with them. Proper HP ones would be advisable if it's a very important link or it's just one or two. Again its an insurance thing more than anything else - of course people will also be quick to say things like "it may void your warranty". Yes, it "may" void your warranty just like letting off wind near your Sandisk USB drive "may" void it's warranty.
    Speak to some of the more reputable suppliers around here (CP Ltd, Millgate etc) and they'll all be more than happy to quote for decent compatibles at a fraction the cost of originals.

Thank Post
    Since the 2610 series (or thereabouts) HP has been blocking third-party transceivers in their switches (even if it's the identical Finispar module) that don't have the correct vendor code. Older (and possibly cheaper) switches might still work with 3rd-party SFPs, but you should assume most new kit won't.

You can get a device to give the SFP eeprom the correct vendor code, but last time I checked they were expensive. I'm not aware of a HP equivalent to Cisco's service unsupported-transceiver.

Is it bringing the link up (i.e just whining in the logs) or is it simply refusing to work?
    Last edited by pete; 30th May 2012 at 01:51 PM.

Thank Post
    cheers ... looking in getting these "reflashed" to work with the current FW"

Thank Post
    compatible SFP modules work very well also in HP´s Comware based A5500 series. Simple update the firmware to the latest one. In R2208 there was a bug concerning compatible modules...

https://h10145.www1.hp.com/downloads...eleaseUId=9655

But never tell you HP guy, you used them. HP can be very very angry, if there´s a fault, a non HP component is responsible for.
    Last edited by snoerre; 30th May 2012 at 07:30 PM.

6. Thanks to snoerre from:

jahilton2002 (31st May 2012)

Thank Post
    OMG its just a bug then..... i thought they worked before i updated the FM to r2208 but wasn't sure! thx for that... i'll try first thing. your a star!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by snoerre View Post
    compatible SFP modules work very well also in HP´s Comware based A5500 series. Simple update the firmware to the latest one. In R2208 there was a bug concerning compatible modules...

https://h10145.www1.hp.com/downloads...eleaseUId=9655

But never tell you HP guy, you used them. HP can be very very angry, if there´s a fault, a non HP component is responsible for.
    This worked a treat!!

im now using 3rd party sfp modules in hp a5500-ei-24g-sfp with firmware from the latest may 2012 update! thx loads.... saved me ££££

Thank Post
    Its nice to here. Please let me know all the HP switchers support for third part fiber modules? i am planning to buy 5500 switchers and 1910 switchers. before buying these products i want to verify all these models are supported for any third part fiber modules?

Thank Post
    Well, be happy if you find one switching series that support it for know. Don´t complain about HP if in future releases those SFP modules are denied. Do not cry if a damage occurs and HP will let you pay for that. Nobody can tell you what you want.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread