+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Roaming Profile Headaches/Errors in Technical; I have exhausted everything I can think of and so I turn to you I have three(to my knowledge) recieving ...

Thank Post

Roaming Profile Headaches/Errors

I have exhausted everything I can think of and so I turn to you

I have three(to my knowledge) recieving this error this error: (One was corrected by playing with permissions but now has bigger issues )

"
    Windows cannot copy file C:\Documents and Settings\user.name\Cookies\user.name@zedo[1].txt to location \\server\Users\user.name\profile\Cookies\user.name @zedo[1].txt. Possible causes of this error include network problems or insufficient security rights. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator.

DETAIL - Access is denied. "

Following this here there is the typical your profile was not saved and there were errors when logging off message.

I corrected this on one user but changing the permissions is not working.
    The setup is AD, a 2000 server, all Users are stored/have drive access on "\\server\"

Thoughts?

Also have a user that can not locate roaming profile but was doing just fine yesterday and I can even see that the user.name is taking ownership of profile folder.

Thanks in advance for any help

Thank Post
    We get a similar error on cookies.dat a lot of times when people log off. I'm not 100% what the cause is and it doesn't appear to break anything to haven't really looked into it properly yet. Any clues on where to look would be appreciated..

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    You might find its just the Ntuser.man file has got some dodgy references if it has not been copied back properly - easiest thing to do is just rename profile folder to .old and then either create a new folder and give user permissions to it or let windows do it for you depending on how your permissions are set

Thank Post
    I've tried clearing out old profiles in the past - and letting Windows re-create them with fresh settings- the problem just comes back after a while..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sionide View Post
    I've tried clearing out old profiles in the past - and letting Windows re-create them with fresh settings- the problem just comes back after a while..
    That's normally rubbish software still writing to the registry on logoff. There is a program Ms released called uhpclean which is supposed to stop this.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    That's normally rubbish software still writing to the registry on logoff. There is a program Ms released called uhpclean which is supposed to stop this.
    We've rolled out UHPClean on all machines side wide to fix issues with roaming profiles breaking for students.. It worked too. I used to have to reset a few profiles per day, now we get don't get so many but we do still get the Cookies.dat error as above. Thanks for the top though.

Thank Post
    We exclude temporary internet files from roaming, along with other selected directories to stop errors like this, and also speeds up profile loading a lot.

Thank Post
    We had this problem when the AV software on the server was configured to "Block Tracking Cookies". Disabling this feature resolved this issue. But I would also check the AV on the desktops.

Thanks,

Bruce.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    We exclude temporary internet files from roaming, along with other selected directories to stop errors like this, and also speeds up profile loading a lot.
    Is this a setting we can change on the server side? The only way I see of doing this is on each user and while now it is only a few users it appears to be more then those that have reported the error.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It's a group policy setting. Details here - Appendix: Group Policy Settings for Roaming User Profiles - the key one is "Exclude directories in roaming profile" - you can put cookies, temporary internet files and temp in here.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    Temp internet files are already not part of the windows user profile from xp (and 2k) along with local settings and a few other things according to the description in the GPO - although I am going to block cookies and also Java - to stop it randomly putting a few hundred mb in the profile on the few machines which have java update enabled!
    Last edited by glennda; 22nd December 2010 at 06:54 PM.

Thank Post
    I'd love to exclude the Cookies folder from the roaming profile of all users; purely because the sheer number of tiny files that accumulate can have a huge (negative) impact on logon times. We've experimented with Folder Redirection for Cookies, but it doesn't work perfectly, something to do with the .dat file being locked. We just need to determine whether Moodle works properly without Cookies.

We're already a excluding several folders; My Documents, Desktop, and various in app data\ e.g. Google.

Bruce.

Thank Post
    Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has any fresh information on this. Specifically, if you exclude Cookies from the roaming profile, what is the [adverse] impact, if any, on the end user?

Are the "contents" of the many tiny individual cookie files aggregated into the cookies.dat file? If so, could you add a logoff script that deleted the individual cookies files, but left the .dat file in, does this solve all problems;
    - users retain their cookies
    - roaming profiles don't contain hundreds/thousands of individual cookie files
    - logons and logoffs are faster

Kind regards,

Anwar

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread