+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Offline files GPO not applying properly/at all? in Technical; Hi, I am setting up a few new staff laptops (well, netbooks actually) and the idea is to use offline ...
    OXP

Thank Post

Offline files GPO not applying properly/at all?

Hi,

I am setting up a few new staff laptops (well, netbooks actually) and the idea is to use offline files and cached credentials for offline/away from network use where the domain is unavailable.

This works fine with regards to cached credentials, the machines are set to remember/cache the last 5 log ons, and offline files are enabled by GPO for the users redirected My Documents/My Music/My Pictures/App Data/Desktop folders. When logging in, the offline files are available and the users My Documents and mapped U: drive are all available offline, however it seems some of the offline files settings are not being set like they should be according to the GPO.

In group policy I have the setting enabled so offline files sync at log off - this works fine. However I do not want them to sync at log on, so I've disabled that in GPO. I've also disabled end user configuration of offline files, and the offline files balloon tips in the system tray. However, offline files still sync when logging on, users can still configure offline files and balloon tips still appear in the system tray regarding offline files... so it seems the GPO isn't actually applying properly?

Can anybody offer any advice with this as it's pretty irritating waiting for files to sync at log on. I want the experience to be as transparent to the user as possible. The offline files have been configured in a "basic settings" GPO for the netbooks and everything else in there applies fine and works well... except the offline files settings for some reason. I've tried setting them in computer settings, user settings, either or and both and yet the result is always the same... I just can't get my head around it

p.s. using Windows Server 2003 and XP Pro SP3 clients.

OXP

Thank Post
    Bump... anyone? This is irritating me to no end

I just want the files to sync at log off, NOT at log on... no matter how many times I try to set it in the GPO it just doesn't seem to make any difference... I tried changing it in user settings, computer settings, both... seems to make no effect. Every other setting in the same GPO seems to work fine, grr.

Also is it possible to get rid of the offline files icon in the system tray when a laptop is working offline? I want to make the experience as transparent as possible and have as little options and things to mess with as possible .. I attached a pic so you know which one I mean, cheers.

OfflineSysTray.PNG

Thank Post
    Ok may seem over the top, you could install windows 7 on these netbook, that has a much much better sync features in it. Im gonna try and do the same, all the staff laptops are off the domain at the moment, so no work is backed up, so we need to get all off them using offline files on the domain

Thank Post
    The description of this logon setting in GPO reads as below.

..."If this setting is disabled and Synchronization Manager is configured for logon synchronization, the system performs only a quick synchronization. Quick synchronization ensures that files are complete but does not ensure that they are current."......

So I guess it might be doing a quick sync in your case. check sync manager settings..you can open it using mobsync from Run. and then click on Setup... If this helps then you need to figure out how to configure this for all users in the domain..

Offline Files

Thank Post
    For the love of god dont install offline files!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Files just go missing, it isnt worth the hassle

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by irsprint84 View Post
    For the love of god dont install offline files!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Files just go missing, it isnt worth the hassle
    Vista and 7 are much better and don't require jumping through as many hoops to make it work well.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread