+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, An Explorer alternative that can.. ? in Technical; My theory is that MS just needed any sufficiently different UI for Win7 to bolt on top of not-that-different-to-Vista-behind the ...

Thank Post

An Explorer alternative that can.. ?

My theory is that MS just needed any sufficiently different UI for Win7 to bolt on top of not-that-different-to-Vista-behind the scenes as opposed to a good UI, and between their marketing and quadrillion pet-bloggers everything would be fine (and they were right). It's ten times more annoying on Server 2K8R2 when you're trying your very best to to do things efficiently, but have to wade past inappropriate-for-servers features designed to keep dim-witted home users happy. I won't enumerate these coz I'll be here til Tuesday, but this is my current bete noir:

In pre R2/Win7 Explorer I get some significant mileage out of this:

explorer /e,/root,\\somecomputer\c$

If you've got an ancient Windows to hand (and can access c$) you can see the effect by running this:

explorer /e,/root,\\127.0.0.1\c$

You might guess that I'm clicking a computer context menu to kick that off. But try it on 2K8R2 and you get the right-hand pane OK, but the tree in the left stays stubbornly stuck in it's Favourites, Libraries(!), Computer, Network groove and that is just really annoying not least because the not-brilliant workaround probably involves mapping a drive letter. Oh and 2008 [R2] Explorer Search still bugs me quite a lot too.

So.. does anyone know if there are any alternative Explorers that a) You have used lots so you know it isn't full of bugs, b) Haven't caught Featuritis, c) Will do the equivalent of what /e,/,root used to do?

PS: d) Doesn't have a tree-view with an unhelpful derranged mind of it's own when you scroll it up and down.
    Last edited by PiqueABoo; 27th August 2010 at 10:11 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You need to set the option "automatically expand to the current folder" under tools | folder options and then I think it will do what you want - at least for the first bit.

Not sure what you mean about the derangedness (!) of the scrolling??

Thank Post
    Thanks, that *is* better, as in at least I can see a treeview for the UNC now (no amount of clicking and expanding would get it for me before). Alas it uses an existing Window rather than making a new one and slowly/erratically shuffles my UNC tree out of view as it starts filling up the Network bit immediately above with the local browse list.

Not sure what you mean about the derangedness (!) of the scrolling??
    I can't make that happen on the system I have to hand so I'm perplexed too, but it has definitely been plaguing me elsewhere. The symptom is when you vertically scroll a treeview which has lots of sub-folders showing in a typically not very-wide pane , it keeps moving the tree left and right, presumably to keep what it thinks I'm interested in visible. Could well be some setting certain other folk have set for no obviously good reason, I suppose.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread