+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows 7 Thread, DNS resolver issues - NSLOOKUP works, Ping doesn't in Technical; I've tried a Live CD and everything works as expected. @ jinnantonnixx - pass - I suspect it's reasonably up ...
    Thank Post
    I've tried a Live CD and everything works as expected.

@jinnantonnixx - pass - I suspect it's reasonably up to date but as I can't get it online I can't easily find out what updates Windows Update has waiting for it!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,664 Times in 2,261 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just reinstall it, you've probably spent enough time on it now that just reinstalling it is the most efficient course of action.

Thank Post
    A very strange one, have you gone down to arp. Just check if you can see your router/dns (arp -a) it should display IP - MAC Address.

Thank Post
    Copying registry setting under [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\servic es\Tcpip\Parameters]
    worked for me too, however there is no need to copy adapter and interface settings as they differ from machine to machine.
    Not sure which parameter affects this directly, however I've noticed that some of them where absent in PC with problmes...
    Last edited by japaridze; 18th November 2012 at 07:14 PM.

Thank Post

Thank you

I ran into this after a bad Kaspersky update caused my AV to delete my tcpip.sys file. I had to re-install TCP/IP, but after I did, I could not ping friendly names, although nslookup would return the correct records. The strangest thing about this issue is that if you go to Control Panel -> System and look at Computer Name it just says "Not Available." It seems that the system can't even resolve its own name! After fighting for hours, this thread lead me in the right direction. Thanks a ton! Here's what I did:

run regedit

Navigate to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Param eters

Look for three string values: Domain, Hostname, NV Hostname. (All three were missing on my affected system, so just create them if they are not there)

Set the Hostname and NV Hostname strings to your PC's name. (You can find you PC's name by opening a command prompt and typing hostname then pressing return. Your correct PC name will be displayed.)

Set the Domain string value to the name of your domain. (Usually something like yourdomain.local)
    If the PC is not joined to a domain create the string and leave it blank.

Close regedit and reboot. Now you should be able to ping friendly names and surf the web/network normally.

I have no great insight into exactly what is going on here, but his fix worked like a charm.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 1,414 Posts
    2 year old thread.

Ben

Thank Post
    fencecat42, thank you very much! I have some malware on my Window 7 Home Prem PC and after Kaspersky deleted tcpip.sys I've the same problem. You find right solution! Thank you again.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fencecat42 View Post
    I ran into this after a bad Kaspersky update caused my AV to delete my tcpip.sys file. I had to re-install TCP/IP, but after I did, I could not ping friendly names, although nslookup would return the correct records. The strangest thing about this issue is that if you go to Control Panel -> System and look at Computer Name it just says "Not Available." It seems that the system can't even resolve its own name! After fighting for hours, this thread lead me in the right direction. Thanks a ton! Here's what I did:

run regedit

Navigate to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Param eters

Look for three string values: Domain, Hostname, NV Hostname. (All three were missing on my affected system, so just create them if they are not there)

Set the Hostname and NV Hostname strings to your PC's name. (You can find you PC's name by opening a command prompt and typing hostname then pressing return. Your correct PC name will be displayed.)

Set the Domain string value to the name of your domain. (Usually something like yourdomain.local)
    If the PC is not joined to a domain create the string and leave it blank.

Close regedit and reboot. Now you should be able to ping friendly names and surf the web/network normally.

I have no great insight into exactly what is going on here, but his fix worked like a charm.
    More than 16 hours on this exactly same problem with all the ipconfig commands and winsock reset and other tricks most people mentioned at all the forums.
    Only this worked and really saved me at the end of the day.
    Many many thanks, fencecat42. Best.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12