+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Win7, WAIK and Computer Naming in Technical; Just this easter we have started to test windows 7 and sysprep to see how much different it is to ...
    Thank Post

Win7, WAIK and Computer Naming

Just this easter we have started to test windows 7 and sysprep to see how much different it is to XP and all i can say is, its chalk and cheese.

We are having a major problem with the naming of the PCs. At the mo on XP, we sysprep a machine so that when it is out in a room all we ahve to do is enter the computer name and it adds it self to the domain, but with Win7 we cannot get it to only ask for the computer name.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Tim

Thank Post
    Have you had a look at MDT? In combination with WAIK, you can configure things like that.

Thank Post
    if you create a user account say suite then use that when deploying it will call pcs suite01-02-03 and so on BUT in the order they respond not necessarily the order you want

Thank Post
    in WDS right click the servername.domain.name node , select properties and change the PXE Response to "respond to all client computers (known and unknown)" then palce a tick the the "require administrator approval...." box and click OK
    wds_pxe..PNG

If your WDS server is not the DC, then you need to grant the WDS Server Full Control to the required OU (which you can specify in the AD DS tab in the properties windows [see below]) by openning ADUC , turning on Advanced Features the right click the OU and open the security tab.
    wds_adds..PNG

Now when you boot a client and press F12, it will pause and give you an ID number

Back in WDS, expand the pending devices node, refresh if necessary, and find the ID number, right click and choose "name and approve" - this will then add the PC to Active Directory with the name you specify...

The Client doesn't need to be switched on once it has generated the ID number - in fact I usually switch if off so that it doesnt try and boot up any further once it has been authorised in WDS..
    Last edited by Gatt; 9th April 2010 at 02:45 PM.

5. Thanks to Gatt from:

martinmorg31 (12th April 2010)

Thank Post
    Problem with that method gatt, say your reloading a staff laptop for workgroup, how would you not make it join the domain?

Thank Post
    unfortunately it does this "by design" however the link below seems to suggest specifying a domain account that is not allowed to add computer accounts to AD in the unattend xml file for the image..

Windows Deployment Services - WGSWiki (near the end under the "EXTRAS" section)

it's primarily aimed at Windows Home Server when you read it but it will apply to all WDS Images...

Thank Post
    You can also use a modified version of sysprep called MySysprep http://tsaysoft.com/mysysprep2/ which will prompt for computer name

Thank Post
    I have found a way to input a computer name once you have sysprep'd the machine. While the machine is restarting just before installing system devices, it askes for a computer name then adds it to the domain. The only trouble is there are about 5 different files that need to be copied to the sysprep folder, but hey it works.

Tim

Thank Post
    Just found out mysysprep is exactly the same thing as mine, but mysyprep is complied for users already and displays a mysysprep logo in the top right of the installing devices screen and doesnt require local admin to run. You can use it with domain admin. Well after all that faffing around at the weekend too. tut. lol

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    in WDS right click the servername.domain.name node , select properties and change the PXE Response to "respond to all client computers (known and unknown)" then palce a tick the the "require administrator approval...." box and click OK
    wds_pxe..PNG

If your WDS server is not the DC, then you need to grant the WDS Server Full Control to the required OU (which you can specify in the AD DS tab in the properties windows [see below]) by openning ADUC , turning on Advanced Features the right click the OU and open the security tab.
    wds_adds..PNG

Now when you boot a client and press F12, it will pause and give you an ID number

Back in WDS, expand the pending devices node, refresh if necessary, and find the ID number, right click and choose "name and approve" - this will then add the PC to Active Directory with the name you specify...

The Client doesn't need to be switched on once it has generated the ID number - in fact I usually switch if off so that it doesnt try and boot up any further once it has been authorised in WDS..
    This felt awkward at first but adds another level of security and control.

Thank Post
    Sorry to dig up an old topic, but does anyone have an idiots/beginners guide to WAIK and WDS so I can teach myself very quickly?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    Sorry to dig up an old topic, but does anyone have an idiots/beginners guide to WAIK and WDS so I can teach myself very quickly?

Thanks
    Still learning it myself, but this is a pretty good place to start:-

Windows Deployment Services, WAIK and Windows 7 - Part 1 | SharePoint George

14. Thanks to Bezwick from:

CHR1S (4th February 2011)

Thank Post
    So am I right in saying the latest version can still work with XP images?

Thank Post
    Yeah we have Server 2008 R2 and XP installations havent changed much.

17. Thanks to Bezwick from:

CHR1S (4th February 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread