+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Java Updates MSI installation problem in Technical; Hi Guys, There have been a few java updates recently but im having problems with getting them installed. We get ...
    Thank Post

Java Updates MSI installation problem

Hi Guys,

There have been a few java updates recently but im having problems with getting them installed. We get an error code 1603 in eventviewer and it tries to install on every boot. Running the .MSI manually it fails with an error 'The installation was interrupted'

java.jpg

Untitled.jpg

This has been the case with the last few updates. I am creating a new GPO for each update and deleting the last. Security permissions are all set for workstations the same as any other software install.

I'm guessing the issue is because the msi is failing to install even manually but the last few have been doing this.

If i run 'Windows Install clean up' and remove all previous versions in the list, java installs fine.

Any ideas? Is there a script to remove all previous versions of java??
    Last edited by Darylrese; 15th January 2013 at 10:25 AM.

Thank Post
    are you extracting the MSI from a full standalone edition?

theres a few articles ive seen about this but never had the need to wipe all java. Give this a read, they document a couple of scripts to do this.

Who hates Java? (how to remove all Java installations on your Network) | ivan's blog

windows - Batch file to uninstall all Sun Java versions? - Server Fault

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,460 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have found it to be a pain in the past. I first strip out all old versions first then install a clean. It seems to stop all these little problems - http://www.edugeek.net/forums/securi...tml#post916245

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    On newer builds I only install Java where needed and no longer via MSI. It's incredibly insecure software full of bugs.

Thank Post
    JavaRa can uninstall old JREs and fix other java problems.
    Also i've used this vbscript in the past to remove all Java versions in one pass.

strComputer = "."
    Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" _
    & "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" _
    & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")
    Set colSoftware = objWMIService.ExecQuery _
    ("Select * from Win32_Product Where Name LIKE 'Java%'")
    For Each objSoftware in colSoftware
    Wscript.Echo "Name: " & objSoftware.Name
    Wscript.Echo "Version: " & objSoftware.Version
    objSoftware.Uninstall()
    Next

remove the wscript.echo lines and it'll remove all java silent...

Thank Post
    great thanks for the script! Its throwing up an error, not sure if its removed old versions but still cant get the new version on. Its asking for the path to java 7.0.9c even though we have never used that version.
    Last edited by Darylrese; 17th January 2013 at 09:18 AM.

Thank Post
    Im very tempted to not deploy java via msi in future, i just cant get it working atall! I need to remove all previous versions first though because at the moment it wont install any of the updates as its asking for all kinds of old msi packages on the network share and refuses to install even if the user manually downloads it from the internet.

That script didnt work, and nor did the one on the link posted further up this thread

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Whoever wrote the installer for Java didn't potty train it properly. When doing an MSI install all previous versions have to be removed beforehand otherwise you run the risk of it botching the install. Then you have to manually wipe up after it with the Windows Installer Cleaner. (all of this you're more than familiar with)

To push out Java I use the script FN-GM posted being called from a command script. Looks like this:

Code:
    if exist "C:\Windows\Java-7-Update11-x86.log" goto :EOF
    cscript /B /nologo "\\Server\deploy$\Java\Remove-Java.vbs" /keeponly
    "\\Server\deploy$\Java\7.x\jre1.7.0_11.msi" /quiet /log C:\Windows\Java-7-Update11-x86.log
    :EOF
    I run that as a startup script set through GPO. It works almost every time with some exceptions. All my teachers have laptops and I've noticed them turning the machine on closing the lid as soon as the login prompt comes up (startup script is still running in the background). They interrupt either the uninstall or the install and break it. Outside of that issue this is the best way I've found so far to push out this utter excrement of a run-time environment.

On another note, there might be a transform you could apply that would disable the uninstall of previous versions. That right there would fix the issue. Having the old version installed wouldn't pose a security risk since the new version would replace the old browser plugins and file associations to Java Web Start. Just an idea....

Thank Post
    Many thanks, tried the script and no luck again it would seem. It looks like it may be removing the old versions of java but its failing to install the new one still.

Heres the script:

Code:
    if exist "C:\Windows\Java-7-Update11-x86.log" goto :EOF
    cscript /B /nologo "\\mca-sr-fs1\DeployedPackages\scripts\Remove-java.vbs" /keeponly
    "\\mca-sr-fs1\DeployedPackages\Java_update_7.0.11\jre1.7.0_11.msi" /quiet /log C:\Windows\Java-7-Update11-x86.log
    :EOF
    I downloaded Remove-Java script and placed it on our server which is line 2 above.

The log files last few lines are as follows:

Code:
    MSI (s) (58:90) [15:33:05:382]: Product: Java 7 Update 11 -- Installation operation failed.

MSI (s) (58:90) [15:33:05:382]: Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: Java 7 Update 11. Product Version: 7.0.110. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Oracle. Installation success or error status: 1603.

=== Logging stopped: 17/01/2013  15:33:05 ===
    Did i need to change anything in the Remove-Java vbs script? Theres too much to post here in the log. Its saying failed then installed but its not installed. Try to install manually and it fails
    Last edited by Darylrese; 17th January 2013 at 03:52 PM.

Thank Post
    I find it best to extract the MSI for Java (run the .exe and look in %userprofile%\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\<version+a rch> then grab the MSI and the .CAB file(s))
    I then user ORCA to create an MST and change the properties table for the likes of the EULA, Browser settings (IEXPLORE & MOZILLA) and its Update handling)

Works for me with SCCM 2012...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread