Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

I have just installed moodle and transferred for the testing of bring moodle in house.

 

It seems though that the homepage and login pages are slow to load. but once into the courses they are really fast.

 

Link here is my development site its taking around 7/8 seconds to load whereas my LEA hosted site takes around 3/4 seconds link

 

any Ideas as to the cause? its exactly the same site. Mine is hosted on a DL380 G5 with Quad Core Xeon and 6gb ram. Running on a 10mb down/9mb up line. and at this time of day nothing else will be running on the machine.

Posted
Yeah i've installed php-cache its alot quicker now - quicker then our countys!

 

the theme is called Clouds

 

not sure on the licensing around them.

 

Cool. Thanks. It also might be worth running mysqlcheck (I don't recall the switches) to optimize the database, ESP if its imported from a large site.

Posted

Yeah I was working through the different things. I've done the AD intergration/slowness will look at the optimization soon.

 

Do you know a simple way to assign the system roles to AD groups? As I can't seem to find much apart from one post here.

 

It says you need to edit those files but doesn't say what needs editing/adding!

Posted

Having thought I had fixed this last week by installing a php cache it still appears to load slowly - around 7/8 seconds. Also it seems to be that login takes too long.

 

Not sure as to why though? any further ideas?

Posted

neither! the most resource intensive app on the server is top! apache pops up but for a spilt second - although moodle is not the only site on this its everybody's homepage aswell.

 

Although this error is popping up in the apache log which i have just noticed

 

[Mon Feb 14 15:56:57 2011] [error] [client 192.168.112.12] Directory index forbidden by Options directive: /var/www/moodle/theme/Clouds/, referer: The Weald School's Virtual Learning Environment

Posted

Although this error is popping up in the apache log which i have just noticed

 

[Mon Feb 14 15:56:57 2011] [error] [client 192.168.112.12] Directory index forbidden by Options directive: /var/www/moodle/theme/Clouds/, referer: The Weald School's Virtual Learning Environment

 

you might need something along the lines of

 options Indexes 

in your httpd.conf

 

It might be worth turning to the default theme and see if you still get slowness issues.

Posted

Still slow with default theme - although the error has gone away.

 

The error is just saying that it can't read the index of the folder - which i don't want as they could use it on all the other sites hosted.

Posted

If thats the only error your seeing, I'm running out of ideas.

try a mysql optimize

 mysqlcheck -op --all-databases

but I'd have thought mysqld would be using CPU if it was a problem...

Posted

This is interesting.

I ran

wget http://dev1.theweald.org.uk/

whist simultaneously reading the file it downloads

 tail -f index.html

 

it downloads this instantly

:~$ tail -f index.html
</pre><li class="r0">http://dev1.theweald.org.uk/theme/Clouds/pix/i/course.gifPE</li><br><li class="r1">http://dev1.theweald.org.uk/theme/Clouds/pix/i/course.gifPhilosophy and Ethics</li><br><li class="r0">http://dev1.theweald.org.uk/theme/Clouds/pix/i/course.gifPhotography</li><br><li class="r1">http://dev1.theweald.org.uk/theme/Clouds/pix/i/course.gifPD</li><br><li class="r0">http://dev1.theweald.org.uk/theme/Clouds/pix/i/course.gifPsychology</li><br><li class="r1">http://dev1.theweald.org.uk/theme/Clouds/pix/i/course.gifScience</li><br><li class="r0">http://dev1.theweald.org.uk/theme/Clouds/pix/i/course.gifSixth Form</li><br><li class="r1">http://dev1.theweald.org.uk/theme/Clouds/pix/i/course.gifSociology</li><br><li class="r0">http://dev1.theweald.org.uk/theme/Clouds/pix/i/course.gifSystems and Control</li><br><li class="r1">http://dev1.theweald.org.uk/theme/Clouds/pix/i/course.gif

 

then hangs here (on the systems and control). waits 7 secs then downloads the 'other subjects' part and the rest of the file.

looks like it may be an issue to do with that block.

try removing the block to narrow it down.

Posted

I think it could just be moodle itself being slow - I have now removed all the blocks on the front page aswell as the HTML and its still slow!

 

I might try upgrading to moodle 1.9.10 and see what happens.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...