CyberNerd Posted February 6, 2009 Posted February 6, 2009 I have the following error when trying to edit a document on a remote sharepint server: "'Edit Document' requires a Windows SharePoint Services-compatible application" The following article tells me I need to install Windows SharePoint Services. Error message when you try to edit an Office document in a document library: "'Edit Document' requires a Windows SharePoint Services-compatible application" If Office 2003 is installed on the computer, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel. 2. Click Add or Remove Programs. 3. In the list of currently installed programs, click Microsoft Office 2003, and then click Change. 4. Click Add or Remove Features, and then click Next. 5. Click to select the Choose advanced customization of application check box, and then click Next. 6. In the Choose update options for applications and tools box, expand Office Tools, click the down arrow next to Windows SharePoint Services Support, and then click Run from My Computer. 7. Click Update. But I get to step 6 and find that there is no option for "Windows SharePoint Services Support" - it just isn;t listed. Where do I get this component from?
damienharrison Posted February 6, 2009 Posted February 6, 2009 Is uninstalling Office 2003 an option, I found this was a problem once and reinstalling it and running everything from My Computer fixed it/ 1
apearce Posted February 6, 2009 Posted February 6, 2009 do you have the URL in your trusted sites in internet explorer settings.
meastaugh1 Posted February 6, 2009 Posted February 6, 2009 I usually find that re-registering the owssupp.dll fixes it or at least progresses it to a different error. Check whether the file exists, if it does follow method 3. I've increasingly found that after re-registering owssupp.dll it gives a sysfader error from iexplore. I suspect this may be limited to our setup which has Office XP and Outlook 2003. When I get the sysfader error I generally reinstall Office, then outlook, then re-apply Office and Outlook updates which seems to fix it. 1
CyberNerd Posted February 6, 2009 Author Posted February 6, 2009 Thanks all. The file didn't exist, but a re-install has fixed it. I think that the sharepoint option may have been removed some time ago as part of an administrative install.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now