+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Impero on PCs with VMWare Player in Technical; Does anyone else experience issues with Impero on workstations that also have VMWare Player installed? The issue is that these ...

Thank Post

Impero on PCs with VMWare Player

Does anyone else experience issues with Impero on workstations that also have VMWare Player installed? The issue is that these workstations take around 45 seconds to 1 minute to load thumbnails and also to start remote control on these machines. Disabling the VMWare virtual network adaptors fixes the problem but that isn't a viable solution for us. I have a call open with Impero support but just wondered if anyone else had experienced this issue where there is more than one network card installed. It's a bit annoying as this is affecting all of our IT suites which is where we would most like to use Impero.

N.B. We are currently running the latest version 4013.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 817 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes, I've had this with my workstation, but didn't look much further into it. One thing that did help back in the day, as suggested by Impero was to rename my network connect "Impero" (Seemed odd, but it seemed to help). Also make sure DNS is all correct, and you've a DNS entry for the impero server.
    Since ditching the cacky VMWare player and upgrading to VirtualBox though with a very similar setup re virtual network adapters, I've not had an issue.

Thank Post
    Support did suggest renaming the local area connection as "Impero" but it didn't make any difference. DNS is also all fine. I might take a look at replacing VMWare Player with VirtualBox seeing as that solved your problem. Thanks for the tip!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dvela-castro View Post
    Support did suggest renaming the local area connection as "Impero" but it didn't make any difference. DNS is also all fine. I might take a look at replacing VMWare Player with VirtualBox seeing as that solved your problem. Thanks for the tip!
    Well interesting your issue just came up the line the today. So just installing vmware player on test network here to try and recreate the issue the dev team

Russ

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,744 Times in 2,022 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dvela-castro View Post
    Disabling the VMware virtual network adaptors fixes the problem but that isn't a viable solution for us.
    It would be interesting to see if running the PowerShell script below on one of the affected PCs makes any difference. VMware do not set up the virtual NICs in Windows correctly when installing the Player & Workstation programs.

Code:
    # Run from an elevated PowerShell prompt
    pushd
    echo "Marking VMWare Virtual Ethernet Adapters as virtual.`r`n"
    cd 'HKLM:\system\CurrentControlSet\control\class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}'
    ls ???? | where { ($_ | get-itemproperty).DriverDesc `
    -like 'VMware Virtual Ethernet Adapter *' } | `
    % { $_ | new-itemproperty -name '*NdisDeviceType' -PropertyType dword -value 1 } | `
    % { "`"" + ($_ | get-itemproperty).DriverDesc + "`" -> *NdisDeviceType=1" } 
    echo "`r`nReboot to apply changes."
    popd
    Source: brianreiter.org/2011/08/29/hide-vmware-virtual-network-interfaces-from-windows-firewall-and-network-and-sharing-center/

After you run the script, the VMware NICs will not be listed under 'Unidentified Networks'.

Last edited by Arthur; 10th September 2013 at 07:52 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by russdev View Post
    Well interesting your issue just came up the line the today. So just installing vmware player on test network here to try and recreate the issue the dev team

Russ
    Russ,

Did you solve this - I installed VirtualBox on my PC last week to start making an image to deploy for programming, and Impero started playing up at that time but I hadn't realised why; I deployed it to my Technician yesterday and he immediately started moaning!

I've disabled the VirtualBox network adapter which has fixed it, but just wondered if there's another way?

Peter

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by howartp View Post
    Russ,

Did you solve this - I installed VirtualBox on my PC last week to start making an image to deploy for programming, and Impero started playing up at that time but I hadn't realised why; I deployed it to my Technician yesterday and he immediately started moaning!

I've disabled the VirtualBox network adapter which has fixed it, but just wondered if there's another way?

Peter
    The Vmware issue was something very specific with VMWare and not virtualbox. First thing is make sure that rename your main adapter to have word Impero in it (we look for that first), restart Client service and see how things perform.

Russ

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread