+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, iTalc Demo Mode in Technical; Has anyone got this section working at all? I've finally understood how to sort out teachers machines but everytime I ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

iTalc Demo Mode

Has anyone got this section working at all? I've finally understood how to sort out teachers machines but everytime I run this section it comes up with

Authentication Error

Somebody (IP: x.x.x.x) tried to access this computer but could not authenticate itself successfully!

Any ideas would be greatl appreciated!

Wes

Thank Post

Re: iTalc Demo Mode

That error is caused by the master not having the correct public and private key to be able to authenticate the connection. I am figuring that since you only metionned the demo mode iTalc itself is working correctly. You might need to provide more details of what kind of setup you are using. Example, are you using identical teacher public and private keys everywhere? Did you add an admin key or other additional keys to the setup?

Here's a random tip for demo mode aswell, if the master is on a wireless connection it would be aviseable to use ethernet instead and make sure to configure it properly in the iTalc settings. Wireless with demo mode is simply not a good idea.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

There is an admin and teacher key the teacher keys are replicated to every machine and the public admin key is being linked to from a windows share.

Wes

Thank Post

I would strongly suggest not using windows shares for the keys. I only got that method to work correctly with samba shares so if you have a linux box available use that instead. ITalc itself as a service cannot establish a connection to a secure share on a Windows server and if it actually is possible I have never found the solution and moved on. The only time I use a window share for iTalc is for the globalconfig.xml file.

If you want it to work correctly copy the public admin key locally instead of on the share and change the registry key accordingly or if you absolutely must use a share put it on a samba on a linux box. Test it with one machine first with the admin keys locally on it and it will work.

Thank Post

I'm a gn00bee, so I apologize for perhaps posting to an incorrect forum.

I'm looking for introductory material on how to set up Italc, particularly over an ISP connection - I'll be on the East Coast, and will need to manage a class in Arizona.

Additionally, and I'm note certain this is the right forum, so please direct me to the right one. I'm interested in folks' experience with LMS's, particularly Moodle.

Thanks

Thank Post

iTalc uses VNC for remote screen capture, which moves around chunks of screen bitmap data. I'm sure this is very well compressed, but I still imagine you'll need a fair bit of bandwidth available to be able to deal with more than a couple of screens at once. People on this board seem to be suggesting that a practical limit for iTalc clients is around 20-ish, and that's on a LAN.

You'll need an accessible IP address for each client computer that you want to connect to. I doubt this is practical, so you'll probably wind up using some kind of VPN connection between you and your class. Bear in mind that this will further reduce your available bandwidth.

For experiences of Moodle use in schools, you might want to look at http://moodlemoot.org. Booking for remote attendance is still open, which gets you access to videos of all the presentations.

Edit - "2-ish" fixed to "20-ish".

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post

thanks for the help

I have italc installed in my lab, and it appears to be doing ok.

I cannot find any information, though, on navigation - for example, if I chnage to remote control, or full screen, how do I shift back to italc. ALT-TAB doesn't do it

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by jabberwockycarl
    I cannot find any information, though, on navigation - for example, if I chnage to remote control, or full screen, how do I shift back to italc. ALT-TAB doesn't do it
    I'm not sure if you have noticed already but when you are connected to a computer in full screen there is a toolbar with options that drops down when you navigate your mouse on the top most part of your screen. In later versions of iTalc you can also change the remote connection to windowed mode from that drop down toolbar so it isn't locked in full screen.

Thank Post

thanks - duh! missed it entirely!

Thank Post

Hello, I just found out about this program too and it would be awesome if i can actually get it to work. I'm the technology teacher and network sys. admin.

At first, it did work. I was able to set up the master computer and and see all the clients and process all the functions of this program. but shortly after. I got this same error as everyone. "no valids keys or they are broken" and then ICA service not running error(even though it is) and lastly, the "authentication error X.X.X.X. " on bottom taskbar.

windows firewall is disable.

1. The ICA service is running. I killed it and restarted it. I see the "I" on bottom. Same problem
    2. I took a client computer and reinstall ITALC with the client/master capailty. took same exported key. same error.
    3. I did complete uninstall using command prompt on master computer. re-install and set up new keys. still same error

FYI. pretty much set the default for everthing. I exported the key from the master install and use it for the clients. when i did the install on clients. I copied the key to their desktop and pulled it from there during installing. So i didnt do any off shares. could this be a problem? I

4. Is there anything in WINDOWS (ports, settings..etc...)that I need to enable and disable that is preventing me from accessing the master application?

Basically, what am I suppose to do now? I cant do nothing on the master computer (also clients) since it's stuck.. uninstalling and reinstalling creates same error. I might just have to scrape this program and actually pay for one. Which I dont want to since we're low on budget. I'd really have to push hard for funding. Is there any other similar free program like this? or what other program similar do you recommend if i have to actually pay for one.

Any Help would be appreciated.
    K.Y.

Thank Post

iTALC setup... man it can be a bitch.

I use a script from a recorded install for clients. It runs on machine startup. (Code 1)
    1) First it checks if iTALC client is on the machine by using a generated TXT file with the computer's name on a share (e.g.-\\SERVER\completions\)

2) Then it installs the DFMirage drivers, which the author recommends (when I upgrade iTALC clients --when i modify the source -- this step is rem'd)

3) It installs the iTALC client using a recorded installsettings.xml that I modified to point to existing keys placed on a network share with read access (Code 2). The "exportdir" does nothing in there, since keys are shared, but I kept it in. The "keyimportdir" is the deployment dir, and it contains the italc_dsa_key.pub file.

4) Just to make sure the keys directories get place properly in the registry, I import a .REG file pointing to the shares containing the keys (Code 3) The extra double slashes are needed... that was something that caused a problem until I fixed it. It also opens the firewall ports.

Code 1
    Code:
    @echo off
    IF NOT EXIST "\\SERVER\completions\iTALC\iTALC %computername%.txt" (goto INSTALL) else (goto EOF)
    :INSTALL
    \\SERVER\deployments\italc\dfmirage-setup-1.1.68.2.exe /VERYSILENT /NORESTART
    \\SERVER\deployments\italc\setup.exe \\SERVER\deployments\italc\installsettings.xml > "\\SERVER\completions\iTALC\iTALC %computername%.txt"
    reg import \\SERVER\deployments\italc\italc.reg
    :EOF
    Code 2
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <!DOCTYPE italc-installation-settings>
    <settings installmaster="0" keyimportdir="\\SERVER\deployments\italc" pubkeydir="\\SERVER\SHARENAME\iTALC\keys\public\teacher" installlupus="0" installdocs="0" keyexportdir="\\SERVER\SHARENAME\italc" privkeydir="\\SERVER\SHARENAME\iTALC\keys\private\teacher" installdir="C:\Program Files\iTALC" installclient="1" />

Code 3
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\iTALC Solutions\iTALC\keypathsprivate]
    "teacher"="\\\\SERVER\\SHARENAME\\iTALC\\keys\\private\\teacher\\key"
    "admin"="\\\\SERVER\\SHARENAME\\iTALC\\keys\\private\\admin\\key"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\iTALC Solutions\iTALC\keypathspublic]
    "teacher"="\\\\SERVER\\SHARENAME\\iTALC\\keys\\public\\teacher\\key"
    "admin"="\\\\SERVER\\SHARENAME\\iTALC\\keys\\public\\admin\\key"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\DomainProfile\AuthorizedApplications\List]
    "C:\\Program Files\\iTALC\\ica.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\iTALC\\ica.exe:*:Enabled:ica"
    "C:\\Program Files\\iTALC\\userinfo.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\iTALC\\userinfo.exe:*:Enabled:userinfo"
    Wheeeee.... Also, I've compiled iTALC's latest SVN and removed the "unauthorized" popup boxes from the tray, since it's one less thing I need our technophobe faculty to have pop-up on their screens. I also removed the "allow access" box that pops up when you have multiple masters, because it interferes when I -- a master on my laptop -- go to view a classroom which has a computer that also is a master. The prompt would block me from viewing the computer, and show on the screen for others to see. The modified source has the prompt always reply with "always allow", so it doesn't display.
    Of course, being the dick I am, I made sure the version *I* run on my laptop has all the dialogs in place... I ain't letting anyone spy on me

Installing a master is simply the same script, but it uses a different XML file for the pre-recorded install. I run it while logged in. Basically it just adds an installmaster="1". I also set it to copy a globalsettings.xml containing computers I've already setup to the current person's profile directory (which I then edit to remove computers that room doesn't need access to).

Phew! Hope that went through clearly. I love iTALC but admit it is a finicky bitch. But well worth the price!

Thank Post

now if you could only get the default port to change.....

Thank Post
    Anyone know how to change the public key en masse? or is there any way to reproduce the italc_dsa_key.pub file WITHOUT reinstalling, or creating a NEW key pair? I have three different classrooms with three different masters. each master originally exported its public key to a location that is no longer available. I would like to consolidate all clients to be seen from any of the masters (all sharing one dsa key)

Thank Post

It does allow the ports to change...

Quote Originally Posted by brubakes View Post
    now if you could only get the default port to change.....
    You can add a string-value named "ivsport" in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/iTALC Solutions/iTALC/parameters/.

You can do the same for "isdport" (default 5800) although you probably won't need this.

You could add those keys in an install script or GPO, etc.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread