+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Server Chasis for homemade Nas in Technical; Does anybody have a rough price for making a homemade nas - just if anybody out there has got one ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,116 Times in 1,012 Posts

Server Chasis for homemade Nas

Does anybody have a rough price for making a homemade nas - just if anybody out there has got one in the last year - looking for probs 12 hard disks (2tb) with a raid array

anybody got a price of how much they paid as just currently bidding for funding and don't want to spend ages speccing one up if i'm not going to get the funding (highly likely!)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Does anybody have a rough price for making a homemade nas
    Around 3,000 - 4,000 for a 12-disk device, depending on exactly what components you want to use. Over the summer, we built a backup server consisting of an Antec 1200 case (150) with 12 5.25" drive bays which we then filled with 12 front-loading caddy-less Antec SATA drive bays, (30 each = 350). We fitted Antec's largest available power supply (200) and a motherboard, processor and some RAM of some sort (300) - call it 1,000 for the basic chasis:

We then added 12 2TB WD Caviar Green harddrives, maybe around 100 each, although WD do now do a 3TB version (maybe 150 - 200 each?). It depends on your requirements - I think the 2TB drives were actually very good value for money, being quite power-efficient and quiet as well as being the then-largest drives on the market, I think the 3TB drives are pretty much the first ones out and draw rather more power and cost a fair bit more, but a bit of a Google search should give you an idea of the merits of each.

It depends on what, exactly, you'll be using this server for as to wether you'll want a hardware RAID card or to just use Linux's software RAID. The device we built was a backup server, so we just used software RAID, which has the advantage that pretty much any Linux distribution these days (including ones like SystemRescueCD which boot from CD) will recognise and use an mdadm software RAID array, making it easy to get at your data if there's a hardware failure. I don't imagine disk performance would be up to using it as a live file server, though, so a "proper" hardware RAID card will cost somewhere between 300 and 1,000.

I did originally try and find a motherboard with 12 SATA ports, but this proved tricky, so in the end we just had to add a few cheap SATA interface cards to connect the drives up. It also probably worth adding some extra network ports (lots of motherboards come with two now, anyway) so you can have a 4-port bonded connection.

--
    David Hicks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    Thats pretty much what i thought of making! I did see the 3tb version of the hard disk but they are new so was going to wait - although I'm not going to get the funding until next summer so they may well have come down in price.

Wasn't sure about the raid but my boss would rather go for a raided version - although i'm not fussed as it is for backups using backuppc.

Actually to save me asking nearer the time you don't happen to have a list of the parts do you?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,495 Times in 1,341 Posts
    You'd presumably want some sort of raid anyway otherwise you'd be restricted to the capacity of the largest hard drives available.

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    You'd presumably want some sort of raid anyway otherwise you'd be restricted to the capacity of the largest hard drives available.

Ben
    sorry should have made it clearer - I wasn't sure between hardware/software! I have put down that i need 3k so that I can go for hardware raid - to be honest my list (for everything) has come to about 100k which i know will be snipped to about 50!

Thank Post
    Wasn't sure about the raid but my boss would rather go for a raided version - although i'm not fussed as it is for backups using backuppc.
    In my experience, Linux software RAID is very reliable, it's just that if you want more performance you'll need dedicated hardware RAID to achive that - although a hardware RAID card is another component to potentially fail.

you don't happen to have a list of the parts do you?
    I've just discovered some 5-drive caddies:

LinITX.com - Chenbro 5 x 3.5" HDD Hot-Swap Bays - Fits in 3 x 5.25" ODD Bays

The above allows you to fit 5 drives in 3 5.25" bays. Just think, you could fit 20 3TB drives in that Antec 1200 case, making 60TB of storage...

LinITX.com also do four-port network cards and single 5.25" drive bays. We used an Antec 1200 case, Antec drive bays and an Antec 1.2kw power supply. I can't remember what motherboard and so on we used, but in six months different stuff will be available anyway.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Have a look at the HP ProLiant Micro Server - Athlon Neo Dual Core, space for 4 HDD bays and 1Gb of RAM pre installed - can buy for around 200 and HP are doing it with a 100 rebate at the moment.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    you could fit 20 3TB drives in that Antec 1200 case
    Intrigued: so Linux enumerates drives as sda, sdb, etc. What happens when you get to drive number 27?

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Intrigued: so Linux enumerates drives as sda, sdb, etc. What happens when you get to drive number 27?

--
    David Hicks
    Linux gets seriously confused!!!

@jamesfed even 4 x 3tb isn't enough for me i'm afraid have to many servers to backup

but then i could buy it and take the insides out and use in the antec case - could be a cheap way to do it actually but would void the warranty

the 100 back doesn't really matter as this wouldn't happen to until at least end of april/may so doubt they will still have the offer - although they may do.

Thank Post
    what rating do you think the power supply would need to be to support say 10/12 x 3tb hard disks with probly a core i5 quad core processor and say 4gb ram? 850w? or higher?

Thank Post
    just specced this up because i'm bored of what i was doing!

1 x Antec Twelve Hundred case 109.67
    1 x 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3-1333 CL9 Non ECC 28.39
    1 x Gigabyte X58A UD5 1366 ATX 177.87
    1 x Quad Core Xeon E5506 2.13GHz LGA1366 4.80GT/sec... 145.36
    1 x Gainward NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS Graphics Card 25... 19.99
    1 x ANTEC SIGNATURE SG-850 PREMIUM 850W A/PFC CABLE... 141.67
    10 x Western Digital 3tb Hard Disk at 1583.3
    2 x Chenbro 5 x 3.5" HDD Hot-Swap Bays - Fits in 3 x 5.25" ODD Bays 198

All in all not bad and under 2500 - motherboard has 10 sata connections plus also raid support

Thank Post
    1 x Gainward NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS Graphics Card 25
    Good point - we only figured out we'd need a discrete graphics card in the machine above when we came to plug the monitor in and couldn't find the VGA port...

1 x ANTEC SIGNATURE SG-850 PREMIUM 850W A/PFC CABLE
    I think that's the same series as the (1200W) one we got - the "signature" range come in a completly over-the-top gloss-black, embossed cardboard box. Fine for a pair of desinger trainers or whatever, but I thought it was a tad over the top for a PC power supply. I think I remember reading a review that reckoned the 2TB Caviar Green draws around 2W, whereas the 3TB draws maybe 6W, which seems like quite a difference. I could have completly made those figures up, though, and I don't have the review to hand to check, sorry.

2 x Chenbro 5 x 3.5" HDD Hot-Swap Bays - Fits in 3 x 5.25" ODD Bays
    Ah, not going for the full 60TB, then?

motherboard has 10 sata connections plus also raid support
    There was some technical reason why we couldn't get a couple of the SATA ports on our motherboard to work - we just couldn't have them all going at once for some reason, so it might be an idea to have a SATA interface card handy. Ignore the on-board RAID, it'll be "fake RAID", requiring a Windows driver to provide the functionality and still passing all the processing over to the main CPU. If you're not going to buy a proper, discreet hardware RAID controller then you're best off using Linux's mdadm software RAID.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Ah, not going for the full 60TB, then?
    as much as i would love it i'm not quite sure i could get away with it! 30tb should last us - on our current amount of data - about 6 weeks before it needs to overwrite which is much improved on 2 weeks (although 3 monthly ones kept on tape)
    There was some technical reason why we couldn't get a couple of the SATA ports on our motherboard to work - we just couldn't have them all going at once for some reason, so it might be an idea to have a SATA interface card handy. Ignore the on-board RAID, it'll be "fake RAID", requiring a Windows driver to provide the functionality and still passing all the processing over to the main CPU. If you're not going to buy a proper, discreet hardware RAID controller then you're best off using Linux's mdadm software RAID.
    tbh the raid bit was just becuase as i wrote it i noticed - assumed it wasn't going to be great - just gotta convince them to give me the money now!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,495 Times in 1,341 Posts
    What backup s/w are you using? Something like r1soft cdp.

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    What backup s/w are you using? Something like r1soft cdp.

Ben
    Half and Half backup exec and backuppc

Exec for things like dc's, exchange and app server + anything that needs system state properly recovered and backuppc for file servers where i'm not fussed about the system state etc.

use Backuppc for all my KVM Hosts for there config files aswell

going to be installing some other opensource stuff such as Zmanda plus a few others to test as really want to lose the backup exec if possible as now moving to 2k8r2 we don't have a version of exec which works with them.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast