+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
General Chat Thread, Raspberry Pi website to go dark on Jan 18 to protest against SOPA in General; Raspberry Pi website to go dark on Jan 18 to protest against SOPA | Raspberry Pi Under the proposed legislation, ...
  1. #1

    JJonas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Walsham, Norfolk
    Posts
    3,090
    Thank Post
    382
    Thanked 429 Times in 318 Posts
    Rep Power
    383

    Raspberry Pi website to go dark on Jan 18 to protest against SOPA

    Raspberry Pi website to go dark on Jan 18 to protest against SOPA | Raspberry Pi

    Under the proposed legislation, it would be illegal for us (or you) to link to any website any website at all, including community-driven behemoths like YouTube, Flickr, Blogspot or WordPress without checking first that nothing on that site infringes copyright. And wed have to review those sites continually after a link was made.

  2. 4 Thanks to JJonas:

    DT2 (16th January 2012), Jamman960 (16th January 2012), LosOjos (16th January 2012), stevenlong1985 (16th January 2012)

  3. #2

    synaesthesia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    5,882
    Thank Post
    575
    Thanked 999 Times in 771 Posts
    Blog Entries
    15
    Rep Power
    461
    Good, I do hope many more follow suit. The whole idea is merely a classic example of how to kill a fly by removing their air supply.

  4. #3

    teejay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,174
    Thank Post
    284
    Thanked 773 Times in 583 Posts
    Rep Power
    335
    Will Edugeek be doing the same?

  5. #4

    TechMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    3,286
    Thank Post
    225
    Thanked 405 Times in 302 Posts
    Rep Power
    162
    Reddit & BoingBoing are too. Full list here.

  6. Thanks to TechMonkey from:

    LosOjos (16th January 2012)

  7. #5

    synaesthesia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    5,882
    Thank Post
    575
    Thanked 999 Times in 771 Posts
    Blog Entries
    15
    Rep Power
    461
    Been having quite a length discussion about this on IRC today with an interesting thought.

    SOPA could effectively *help* the UK and EU by making the US far less powerful in the internet stakes. Companies who it would effect would vacate Silicon Valley rather quickly and there are only a couple of possibilities for places they could go - logistically Mexico, but obviously that won't happen. Otherwise it'd be the EU - and quite likely the UK for language and connections reasons.
    DNS control could be easily subverted or extra layers added circumventing any control the US has over it. The more we talked about it, the more daft it made the idea sound for the US. The conversation culminated in me promising to shave my head completely if it goes ahead. And I stand by that

  8. #6

    JJonas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Walsham, Norfolk
    Posts
    3,090
    Thank Post
    382
    Thanked 429 Times in 318 Posts
    Rep Power
    383
    self bump to raise awareness

  9. #7

    LosOjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5,447
    Thank Post
    1,438
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    Rep Power
    707
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Been having quite a length discussion about this on IRC today with an interesting thought.

    SOPA could effectively *help* the UK and EU by making the US far less powerful in the internet stakes. Companies who it would effect would vacate Silicon Valley rather quickly and there are only a couple of possibilities for places they could go - logistically Mexico, but obviously that won't happen. Otherwise it'd be the EU - and quite likely the UK for language and connections reasons.
    DNS control could be easily subverted or extra layers added circumventing any control the US has over it. The more we talked about it, the more daft it made the idea sound for the US. The conversation culminated in me promising to shave my head completely if it goes ahead. And I stand by that
    The problem is, if it does go ahead then it will set a precedent for the rest of the world, the EU in particular. I find it highly hypocritical that our western governments are quick to criticise the likes of China and Korea for their strict filtering policies and then have the audacity to try to implement something as repressive as SOPA.

  10. Thanks to LosOjos from:

    DT2 (16th January 2012)

  11. #8

    LosOjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5,447
    Thank Post
    1,438
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    Rep Power
    707
    I saw this news story the other week, might be of interest to some of you: Hackers work on satellite system, aim for the moon | ZDNet UK

  12. #9
    Arcath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    972
    Thank Post
    102
    Thanked 116 Times in 101 Posts
    Rep Power
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    The problem is, if it does go ahead then it will set a precedent for the rest of the world, the EU in particular. I find it highly hypocritical that our western governments are quick to criticise the likes of China and Korea for their strict filtering policies and then have the audacity to try to implement something as repressive as SOPA.
    That is my major concern, if it does get passed in america the next day all the companies will walk into parliament and say your close friends over the pond have just passed this bill called "SOPA" we suggest you do the same.

    There is always the point that sites like TPB are all hosted in europe anyway, so they will still have no power to shut them down.

  13. #10

    LosOjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5,447
    Thank Post
    1,438
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    Rep Power
    707
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcath View Post
    There is always the point that sites like TPB are all hosted in europe anyway, so they will still have no power to shut them down.
    It appears to me that SOPA is an underhanded way to stop the likes of TPB - you're right, they can't shut them down as they're not hosted in the US, but if they make it illegal for anybody in the US to visit them or even provide a link to the site, they've effectively "shut them down" in the US at least.

  14. #11
    tommej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    693
    Thank Post
    38
    Thanked 129 Times in 98 Posts
    Rep Power
    76
    SOPA has been shelved for now.

  15. #12

    Theblacksheep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    In a house.
    Posts
    1,934
    Thank Post
    138
    Thanked 290 Times in 210 Posts
    Rep Power
    193
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    The problem is, if it does go ahead then it will set a precedent for the rest of the world, the EU in particular. I find it highly hypocritical that our western governments are quick to criticise the likes of China and Korea for their strict filtering policies and then have the audacity to try to implement something as repressive as SOPA.
    The media makes fun of other countries blocking facebook, twitter and such, yet stays quite or is supportive of western governments blocking systems.

  16. #13

    X-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    /dev/null
    Posts
    9,049
    Thank Post
    591
    Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    813
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    <snippity> they can't shut them down as they're not hosted in the US </snip>
    Exactly, which is why I laugh at the TPB legal responses page. They ALL mention DMCA, which is American and therefore doesn't apply to Sweden.

    Also, this.

    How the hell is that legal? It's a UK guy, with a UK website, hosted in the UK and they're taking him to an American court to possibly sentence him for breaking an American law.

    Silly America. It doesn't work like that.

    By that logic, Iran [Or any other country like that] could extradite all openly gay people so they can excecute them for breaking Iranian [or other] anti-homosexual laws.

    Also, Ryan Giggs could be extradited to Dubai to face charges of adultery.

  17. #14

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,652
    Thank Post
    516
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    831
    Quote Originally Posted by tommej View Post
    SOPA has been shelved for now.
    It has been shelved to write amendments, and the White House has said they wouldn't let a law pass which undermined freedom of speech.

    However, the legislators in question are still very much pushing for it.

    I've sent out an email to staff here to warn them that various sites on the net will be blacked out on Weds, so they don't get upset with us in support for saying we can't do anything about it.

  18. #15

    X-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    /dev/null
    Posts
    9,049
    Thank Post
    591
    Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    813
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I've sent out an email to staff here to warn them that various sites on the net will be blacked out on Weds, so they don't get upset with us in support for saying we can't do anything about it.

    From what I can see on the list [linked by TechMonkey] most, if not all, of the sites are humour/game/blogging websites.

    Here at least, they're all blocked or things people aren't allowed to be on. I can't see this being a problem at work.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Raspberry Pi on eBay
    By Jawloms in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 3rd January 2012, 10:26 PM
  2. Seeking advice on way to go with upgrade
    By speckytecky in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15th June 2009, 06:33 PM
  3. Start as you mean to go on!!!
    By MK-2 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 6th January 2009, 04:38 PM
  4. Going over to the dark side
    By StewartKnight in forum General Chat
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 2nd May 2008, 12:52 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •