PaulCooper (12th August 2013)
I tried to rebuild a PC earlier on today. The task sequence failed because it complained that it couldn't find a dependency. So I scratched my head, swore a bit checked the health of the server components. I noticed that the SMS_STATE_SYSTEM component was critical and had a quick look at it. I saw a load of messages which said something along the lines of
andCode:Microsoft SQL Server reported SQL message 50000, severity 16: *** Unknown SQL Error!
I looked at the StateSys.log and found a whole load of these:Code:The State System message file processing could not process file 'r9c06kn1.SMX' and moved it to the corrupt directory. Review the statesys.log file for further details.
Not especially helpful in themselves. Googling suggested a problem communicating with the SQL server but nothing specifically helpful. I did notice that they started after the server rebooted itself last night after installing some updates.Code:STATMSG: ID=6104 SEV=E LEV=M SOURCE="SMS Server" COMP="SMS_STATE_SYSTEM" SYS=CM12-MP.internal.lutonsfc.ac.uk SITE=SFC PID=2660 TID=5516 GMTDATE=Thu Jul 11 12:56:28.353 2013 ISTR0="TD59CGDS.SMX" ISTR1="" ISTR2="" ISTR3="" ISTR4="" ISTR5="" ISTR6="" ISTR7="" ISTR8="" ISTR9="" NUMATTRS=0 SMS_STATE_SYSTEM 11/07/2013 13:56:28 5516 (0x158C) Thread "State Message Processing Thread #0" id:5516 was unable to process file "D:\Microsoft Configuration Manager\inboxes\auth\statesys.box\process\TD59CGDS.SMX", moving to corrupt directory. SMS_STATE_SYSTEM 11/07/2013 13:56:28 5516 (0x158C) total chucks loaded (0) SMS_STATE_SYSTEM 11/07/2013 13:56:28 5516 (0x158C) Thread "State Message Processing Thread #0" id:5516 terminated normally SMS_STATE_SYSTEM 11/07/2013 13:56:28 5516 (0x158C) CThreadMgr::ThreadTerminating - All threads have stopped running SMS_STATE_SYSTEM 11/07/2013 13:56:28 5516 (0x158C) Found new state messages to process, starting processing thread SMS_STATE_SYSTEM 11/07/2013 13:56:43 4148 (0x1034) State message processing processed invalid records or files in the last processing cycle. SMS_STATE_SYSTEM 11/07/2013 13:56:43 4148 (0x1034) STATMSG: ID=6105 SEV=E LEV=M SOURCE="SMS Server" COMP="SMS_STATE_SYSTEM" SYS=CM12-MP.internal.lutonsfc.ac.uk SITE=SFC PID=2660 TID=4148 GMTDATE=Thu Jul 11 12:56:43.322 2013 ISTR0="" ISTR1="" ISTR2="" ISTR3="" ISTR4="" ISTR5="" ISTR6="" ISTR7="" ISTR8="" ISTR9="" NUMATTRS=0 SMS_STATE_SYSTEM 11/07/2013 13:56:43 4148 (0x1034) Thread "State Message Processing Thread #0" id:5832 started SMS_STATE_SYSTEM 11/07/2013 13:56:43 5832 (0x16C8) total chucks loaded (1) SMS_STATE_SYSTEM 11/07/2013 13:56:43 5832 (0x16C8) *** *** Unknown SQL Error! SMS_STATE_SYSTEM 11/07/2013 13:56:43 5832 (0x16C8) CMessageProcessor - Encountered a non-fatal SQL error while processing SMS_STATE_SYSTEM 11/07/2013 13:56:43 5832 (0x16C8) CMessageProcessor - Non-fatal error while processing 3BNBYR4C.SMX SMS_STATE_SYSTEM 11/07/2013 13:56:43 5832 (0x16C8)
I uninstalled all of the OS updates first. Still the same. So then the DotNet updates came off. The server rebooted and it all started working again.
The updates in question are KB2835393 and KB2804576. So if you're having problems with you ConfigMgr today, try removing those and seeing if it starts working again.
I was in the middle of deploying a new sccm2012 sp1 solution, so naturally I figured I made a mistake with the work I was doing. Turns out Norphy was right on. The same StateSys.log messages showed up every hour in the logs.
Don't know about the task sequence problem as I haven't configured those yet but I was also having problems with Application Management ==> Applications.
Attempting to modifying anything within an application's configuration resulted in a generic error. Attempting to add a new application also resulted in an error at the end of the wizard.
I uninstalled patch KB2835393 and KB2804576, but the problem was still present. Investigated further and found a third .NET Framework 4.0 patch got installed on the same patch Tuesday, KB2840628. Uninstalled that third patch, rebooted sccm and the problems went away.
Thanks a bunch Norphy.
Glad to help
I had to register just to say "Thanks" guys, I spent pretty much all of last Friday trying to "fix" SCCM when it mysteriously broke.
Uninstalled KB2835393, KB2804576 and KB2840628 - rebooted the server, and now both the SQL errors in the statesys.log and the package issues are fixed.
When trying to add/modify packages I got an error saying something about "failure generating lantern", now behaving.
So thanks very much!
I've been getting the same errors since I ran windows update. The only problem I have is those updates don't appear on my list of installed updates (I don't have any .net framework ones listed). Does anyone know if it's different on server 2012?
A patch will keep the same KB number regardless of the operating system it's destined for. However there is no KB2835393, KB2804576 or KB2840628 for Windows 2012. These are .NET Framework 4.0 patches and Windows 2012 comes with .NET Framework 4.5.
I'm looking at my WSUS server and the Server 2012 .NET Framework 4.5 patches for July patch Tuesday would be:
KB2833958 and KB2840632
Try removing those two patches and let us know.
Matthew1985 (16th July 2013)
I removed those patches off my server but it didn't seem to make any difference. I do have the database on a seperate server though (which does run 2008 R2) and removing the patches from this server fixed the problem.
Norphy, Thanks MUCH for this... experienced the same issue. Removed patches and monitoring logs now.
Btw... registered just so I could thank you.
Happy to have helped. Perhaps I should put a post on Technet and see what the big M have to say
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)