+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AV and Multimedia Related Thread, DMX Preset controller in Technical; We are looking for a simple DMX controller which we can set a bunch of presets - so people can ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,478 Times in 1,921 Posts
    Blog Entries

DMX Preset controller

We are looking for a simple DMX controller which we can set a bunch of presets - so people can just press a single button and our lighting system will load that up.

It can't be a mixer.

Anyone know of such a thing?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We have a desk already, which we use for shows. We want a device which only has preset buttons for use during non-show occasions, like assemblies.

Thank Post
    Aha... In that case a couple of options come to mind:

1) Some desks allow a separate control panel to be plugged in, eg a foot pedal control, where each control can be programmed to kick off a specific sequence.
    2) You could invest in a PC based controller, and then use serial or USB to control the PC sequences.

Mike

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Neither are suitable - we want some form of rackmount device. We've found one which CPC sell - DMX DUO - ELATION - DMX LIGHTING CONTROLLER | CPC

However, I fear it has a few too many buttons.

An American company make a device which you stick to your wall like a cable loom breakout box, with 10 buttons on it, but they're about £300 each plus getting it here.

A USB device sounds fine, but it will lead to pupils being able to fiddle, which we specifically don't want.

Thank Post
    Mmmm... Looks like you've done your research! I'm not aware of any other method. Have you looked at CPC's kits and modules pages - they do few DMX boards that maybe you could adapt to your app?

Thank Post
    For this, i would still go with a PC solution. Maybe mount it in your rack, and use a bluetooth mouse and keyboard. If you start having fixed DMX outputs being sent via one controller, and then want to use another controller, you can end in a right mess. We used to have an analogue mixing desk, and Martin Lightjockey on the same DMX bus, but it just caused chaos. We now just use Lightjocky, with a basic sequence written for assemblies, which you just select from the sequence list. You password the PC, and it connects to the DMX via USB. Hide wires away, and bobs you're aunty.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Lol, sorry but that is more complicated than just having a desk, not to mention more expensive. LightJockey appears to be £1000. Add in the computer and keyboard etc... and that solution is £1500+!

Compared to the device I linked which has a bunch of preset buttons and costs £90.

I'm not looking for a software solution. I'm looking for something similar to the item I listed, but with less buttons.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,288 Times in 799 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Doug Fleenor Design - Preset 10 Architectural 2

any good?

elation also do this: Elation Professional - Professional Lighting Products but it's pricey

scene stations are cool too: SS-305

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,632 Times in 1,460 Posts

Thank Post

Thank Post

Thank Post
    If you up for an Arduino based solution have a look at something I created/hacked a while back. A simple Arduino DMX controller - you could easily adapt that to suit your needs, what dimmers do you have as some have controllers that would suit your needs also. (eg zero 88 chilli net)

Thank Post
    I've done a similar thing using a DMX recorder hidden in a rack, the users don't need to touch this, then a simple little controller that a 2 year old could operate.

Worked quite well, used a decent lighting desk to program the lights how then record the lighting state on the DMX recorder. Once done remove the decent lighting desk and connect the basic one for playback purposes. With 1 fader the user could set the moving lights doing their things, LEDs changing colour etc, on another fader could have something totally different.

I used an Elation DR512 DMX recorder and one of these little controllers: Stairville DDC-6 DMX Controller - Thomann UK

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the suggestions. Plenty to look at.

Two interesting companies I've found - "Interactive Technologies" - they have a series of control servers and then loads of different ways to remote control them, including an iPad app. The other is a UK company, "Pulsar". They make a cool little architectural dimmer (the UniPak).

Makes me wonder about a larger project that was planned - to get our house lighting in the hall updated. If we did, I could go down this route.

However, the mini version of the server for Interactive Technologies is £488, so currently out of my price range.

Thank Post
    Take a look at the Zero 88 Chilli dimmers (install dimmers) along with the Chilli panel if you're looking to replace your dimmers and want a simple way for anybody to turn the lights on to one of a few presets you can program.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast