Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

SimonL

Members
  • Posts

    46
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by SimonL

  1. Good morning, I work for an IT support company that supports a number of primary schools. One of our schools is using the County provided broadband service that includes the Smoothwall firewall and web filtering services. I have had a request from the Head to enable her personal iPad to have internet access via the school's broadband. This will require Smoothwall certificates to be installed. Anyone got any experience or advice concerning this ? The school has a fleet of iPads, managed by Lightspeed, however this particular device is 'standalone'. Thanks in advance.
  2. Morning, Thanks for the replies, I will follow up with the school.
  3. Morning all, I work for an IT support company that provides support to a number of schools in Essex and Suffolk. I have been asked whether it is possible to "verbally annotate" or "voice over" Powerpoint presentations. I did wonder whether using Zoom to create a lesson incorporating audio and Powerpoint might be a reasonable approach. Anyone got any suggestions for a good way of doing this ? (Zoom based, or otherwise) Thanks in advance.
  4. Afternoon all, We provide IT support to a local primary school in Suffolk. The school is contemplating a move from Microsoft Office to G suite for education. I'm aware that there may currently be financial support available to the school to help achieve this and we will be working with them to encourage this approach. We do not hold ourselves up to be Google experts at all. Does anyone have experience of a similar move ? If so, how did it go ? Pitfalls ? Impact on broadband capacity ? Good vendors to work with ? etc etc Thanks in advance for any help offered.
  5. Morning, I work for a small IT support company, one of our clients is a primary school in Suffolk. Until recently they used the services of another company to support their Ipad fleet and Lightspeed Device Management. This arrangement has now come to an end and they have asked us to get involved. New territory for me ! I'm really looking for advice as to how to get started with Lightspeed. They have a problem in that they have two batches of Ipads. Until the arrival of the second batch, the originals were working properly, however since then they have lots of problems, particularly with proxy server settings and internet access not working. The company they were using seemed unable to resolve this, hence they are no longer in the picture, I have logged in to Lightspeed as Admin. I can see that that there are 'users' with names that correspond to the the device names for the original batch (but not the new ones). If I select one of those users, I can drill down to a device linked to that user. However, the original batch no longer seem to be working and are unable to access the internet. No devices are listed under the 'devices' page. As an example, if I take one of the new ones, that doesn't appear to exist at all within Lightspeed, but does have internet access via the school internet service. I'm therefore now wondering whether this isn't currently managed by Lightspeed at all. I'd like some pointers please. I would have assumed that each Ipad needed to be set up as a device in order to manage it. Has anyone got a crib sheet for this ? Thanks in advance.
  6. Hi, I'm looking for Windows 10 64-bit licences (18 in total). Can anyone suggest a good (i.e. cheap !) source ? Thanks
  7. Hi, I'm looking for something that can burn jpgs to a DVD and make it a playable DVD. In the past this could have been DVD Maker, but obviously not available with Windows 10. Any commonly used alternatives ? Thanks
  8. Can anyone recommend a supplier who can also install. Primary school in East Anglia. Thanks
  9. Can anyone recommend a supplier who can also install. Primary school in East Anglia. Thanks
  10. We provide IT support to a primary school in Suffolk. The school uses Office 365 and the staff have access to a "Shared Files" button that appears in the top left hand side of the screen when logging in to O365. This button appears to act as shortcut to the school's Sharepoint files. This is OK for the majority of users i.e. teaching staff. However, there are certain staff e.g. lunch time supervisors, that the school does not want to have access to the "Shared Files" button. I have been unable to find a way of disabling this facility for specified users; can anyone help ? Thanks in advance Screen shot of shared files button.docx
  11. Thanks. Are you using Smart boards, or an alternative manufacturer ? We have a mixture and those teachers that use the Benq boards can't seem to get rid of the watermark, those with a Smart board seem OK.
  12. Thanks. Are you using Smart boards, or an alternative manufacturer ? We have a mixture and those teachers that use the Benq boards can't seem to get rid of the watermark, those with a Smart board seem OK.
  13. Hi, Thanks for the input. I have now tried both Prowise Presenter and Openboard at the school, but neither found favour ! Presenter did open Smart files, but unfortunately didn't convert them terribly well. Does anyone have a link to a download of an earlier version of Smart ? Thanks Simon
  14. Hi, We provide support to a UK primary school. The school has a mixture of interactive boards, Smart and Benq. For a long time (years) they have been using the Smart Notebook software on a free, unlicenced basis. Recently the software on several of the staff PCs appears to have updated to the current V19 version. As a result, those PCs that are connected to a Benq board are now displaying a Smart watermark that interferes with the displayed images. We have been in contact with a Smart reseller, but the costs of licencing the software are too high for the school and not affordable. Similarly, there is no way that the school can afford to replace the Smart boards). I have two questions :- 1) Is it possible to download an earlier version of the Smart software and circumvent this problem ? (The Smart web site appears to only have downloads available for V18 and V19). 2) Alternatively, is there a free / open source alternative to the Smart software ? Thanks in advance for any assistance offered.
  15. I work for a small company that provides IT support to a local primary school. They are looking for a software package that will allow their dyslexic pupils to 'dictate' by speaking into a microphone and a text document to be created/edited. So some form of voice recognition system. What do people use and recommend ? Thanks
  16. I have also tried a normal Windows 10 image from a bootable USB that is known to work elsewhere, but no good. Tried changing the boot sequence, but it ignores that as well. Yes, have tried the various power button and volume control options and can get into UEFI on the one that boots, but then no further. I'm going to try some of the other 24 tomorrow when I'm on the school premises. It is just possible that I have managed to randomly pick two duff ones and the others may be OK.
  17. Thanks, but no. I have tried to boot from the USB from the UEFI screen, but nothing happens. Haven't seen a red horrible screen !
  18. Hi, We have 24 four Surface Pro 4 devices and for various reasons, we want to 'factory reset' all of them. Some will boot into Windows, others are stuck in the "Surface boot loop". I have followed the steps on the MS support pages, downloaded the recovery image, copied to a USB and then (as instructed by MS) overwritten the files on the USB, with recovery files from one of the working Surface Pros (anyone know why the 'raw' recovery image downloaded from the MS site isn't OK ?) Even on the working device, I can't get it to even acknowledge there is a USB inserted, let alone attempt to boot from it. There doesn't seem to be any way for the one in the boot loop to interrupt that process and boot from the USB either. I did attempt MS Live Chat, but the guy just took me through the steps on their web pages and when that didn't work, said he had to go home ! Any ideas ? Thanks
×
×
  • Create New...