Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Bugs

Members
  • Posts

    195
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Bugs

  1. Just had an hour long conversation with Sophos Tech made some headway, got it to install on all laptops now but, still wont report back, using process monitor iv found its a permissions issue, the domain admin doesn't have access to the c:\windows\installer folder or c:\program files\sophos or the reg key HKLM\SYSTEM\Currentcontrolset\services\ iv set the doman admin to have full write access so now it installs but still doesnt report back. I dont think RMS is installing correct cause iv I run it individually it fails at starting services saying it doesnt have required permissions.
  2. yep, iv been making sure all the services are started, its frustrating because its installed, just not managed in the console.
  3. Server is 2008r2, and client is Windows 7, just turned off firewall ping now works from the server
  4. jjoe90: Time and date are fine on console and client. Steve: Ip address's are correct and the client has the correct DNS address's, interestingly I can ping the console from the client, but not the client from the console, not sure what that means,I have a sophos exception on the server firewall. I just dont understand how 20 identical laptop built with identical images and two fail.
  5. Hiya Everyone, We have just bought 20 new laptops as part of our network upgrade, and have installed the latest version of Sophos. they were origonally installed under our old version so after we had built them I began the process of install the new version of Sophos. I didnt hit any issue untill the last 3. First one installed the software but the says it hadnt reported its status back to the console, after lots of research I added exception in the firewall for ports 8192, 8193, 8194, and allowed the file routerNT.exe throuh the firewall (which apparently is the thing which reports status back) the other two laptops just wont install at all even after making sure services are running again, adding exceptions, and various other thing I cant even get the installation to start. I have tried both manually installing from the command line at the client and from the console on all machines, and I still get the same results. I have even tried rebuilding one of them and its still doing the same thing. PLEASE PLEASE HELP its doing my nut in.
  6. Hi all, I have got a Server 2003 machine on a 2008r2 network with win 7 clients, the 2003 server came from a previous network and has been added in. I have just downloaded the latest version of Sophos and have been trying to install the client on the 2003 Server but, all it installs is the Remote Management Service and Auto Update but, nothing else. Delving a little deeper, Iv found a general permission/Security problem, in that when I try and install sophos manually from the directory, I get a message saying I dont have permission, I then went and confirmed the destination folders and made sure I had permissions on both source and destination folders ands still gave me the same error. My Line manager also had the same problem while trying to update CMIS, he downloaded the install onto the 2003 desktop and when he ran it it displayed an error saying he didnt have permission, even though he was logged in. Has anyone encountered anything like this?
  7. Got a bit of an issue with our ultrium 960 drive, whenever I run my monthly backup using backup exec 11d it doesn't compress the data, which I need it to do so it fits on one tape. Weird thing is my weekly full backup works correctly, and I have even tried copying the job and renaming it monthly but, it still fails. The only difference I can see is my weekly's are HP tapes and my monthly's are Sony. I have checked the compression settings and they are set to hardware if not otherwise software. anyone seen this before? or got any ideas what's happening.
  8. yes all the fans are fully operational and working, they were chocked up with dust and stuff but we cleared it out and it still did the same thing.
  9. Hiya all, i`m looking into a PC problems for a colleague of mine which so far has me and him stumped. Its to do with a Fujitsu Siemens PC. at first it seemed to turn it self off radomly. Then we found that if you did a cold boot it started fine and would run for a random time then just shut itself down, after which if you try and restart it, you get the BIOS splash screen then it just turns itself off and just continues to do this when ever you try and start it. After about an hour you can start it up and everything's fine again until it turns off after an hours use. Initial hardware tests show memory, and hard disk scan are all good, my initial thought were power supply. Has anyone else encountered this?
  10. Hiya all, I`m looking at some infrastructure monitoring software for monitoring our servers and general network infrastructure, I dont have a budget really to spend on this so Iv been looking at open source, however as yet all I can find is solutions for a Linux Box. Does anyone know if there are any windows systems available? If the only way is a linux box then thats OK, just wanted to fully explore the windows option first. Thanx Craig Dunn
  11. Me and my wife are about to buy a new PC for my step son, and i`d like to be able to block certain websites, iv looked at using the hosts file, and it does not appear to work on my machine. just wondered if anyone else had any options, he will be using it with a mobile broadband stick so i`m not using a router.
  12. I am 100% certain that the scope is setup correctly and the range we have is correct, That was my next port of call checking AP's.
  13. we cant use a larger range because we want all machine to have static IP's and if we increase the range we will get alot more conflicts. iv done network scans but thats not really solving why it happens tells me where the address's are in use and thats it.
  14. Hiya, We've recently moved all of our workstations and laptops from using DHCP to having static IP's and reducing the scope to about 30 or so spaces just for devices we have missed, so they are still able to connect to our systems. recently we've started noticing machines which should have a static IP are reporting IP conflicts, its difficult to trace the other device which has the same IP so we end up switching it to DHCP to solve it, obviously we cant do this for many machines or we will run out of address's I was interested to know if anyone else had reported this. we have a 2000 server and XP clients.
  15. Hiya, I`m helping to run a course on music technology i.e. not just banging drums but looking at music software and some of the high tech stuff used in music. so far the group have been using the ejay suite of software, and have produced some good music, they also visited a pro music studio. I`m now looking for the next progression, and am struggling to think of where to go next we of course have ejay which I think we've now exhausted, and we have reason which I think is way to high profile for the children we have. we are a special needs school, but the children on this course are good, like the usual teenager. so i`m looking for some software or online based activity to go next, or does anyone have any lesson plans thery think could fit this bill theyd like to share? Thanx
  16. this is the argument im coming up against they did over kill now and now the ict manager want to cut right back and i`m worried that theres gonna be alot of pressure on one server.
  17. Hiya all, I work in a fairly small special needs school, 101 children and around 50 or so staff, we have been looking at replacing our PDC's and consolidating from 2DC's to 1, and using the model of 1 Server servicing the whole of the curriculum network i.e. pupils logins, home drives, shared drives, another server for school management running stuff like sims, shared drives, Sage, and another for the ICT team running backups, AV, and storing data. I cant help feeling a little nervous using this model, like its putting all your eggs in one basket, a colleague of mine suggested virtualising servers, another suggested 2 new DC's but sharing the load of the curriculum network and storing ICT stuff across the two. I cant really see which avenue is the best to pursue at the moment. anyone lay any suggestions?
  18. Hiya all, We prodominantly use 3com for all our wireless kit, as I thought they were one of the better companies. recently we have bought 2 building to building bridges. I`m finding that the connection is intermittent at best, and there doesn't seem to be any pattern. Last time it went down 9th June and we got it back and running that day, and it has gone down today. The problem appears to be the bridges loose thier IP address even thought both bridges have reserve IP's, Has anyone else come accross this???
  19. This was one of my concerns over time, I just downloaded one of the video's, how do you cover everything because there are things like viruses, hackers as well, or do you not touch on that? am I getting a bit too deep when all it has to be is regarding social networking and dont chat to people you dont know.
  20. Hi Everyone, Iv taken on the role of E-Safety within school, and i`m currently waiting for a CEOPS training event within the midlands area. Iv looked round the website and there are loads of resources, scripts presentations and loads of stuff. I have a bit of a fear of this though, Iv never trained before and in the past I have got incredibly nervous (You know the usual rambling on, sweating, shaking, I get the works) Its not like i`m talking about a subject I dont know either, I have had an interest in Computer, Network, and internet security for a while and this seemed a good extension of that and to further my career within school. I wanted to ask people who currently undertake that training how they deliver the training and what type of forum it is? I want to make it as user friendly as poss because obviously many of the audiance are as IT savvy as me, any tips on dumbing down the techy jargon???
  21. Thanx IRS print u were spot on installed and everything now. Next issue is i`m working on converting an Access Database to SQL, so iv got the MS SQL Migration tool, on another server loaded the access file in, when it comes to the point where I have to connect to my target SQL server, I fill in the credentials but the OK button remains blank. also I thought of installing the migration tool on my test server when I try it says I need the OLE DB provider v12.0 but this is only available for XP and above and doesnt seem to be available for windows 2000, can anyone help or suggest an alternative
  22. Hiya all, I`m after some video software that has the ability to blur certain things in that video. we need this because we have certain children in school who cannot be video'd, so far I havnt had any luck finding any.
  23. tis the full server Standard edition though, as I said iv installed it before and its been fine.
  24. Hiya all, I`m doing some testing on a SQL Database and I wanted to install SQL Server 2005 on a test Server. I have the CD's saved on my network, when I try and install from the CD everything appears to install and I don't receive any errors, im doing a pretty default installation and installing all the components. Once complete however, when I go to the start menu there is only the Configuration Manager folder available, there is no management studio. I have installed using this software before on a previous server and it was fine, management studio was there. I have installed several time uninstalling each time with no luck. anyone got any ideas why its doing this?
  25. Hi All, I`m ICT Support for a local Youth Group and iv been asked to look into purchasing either hardware or software or a combination of both for use within the group. I do have some sepcs though firstly I have to be able to prove it's for educational use (That is a requirment for use of the money) and secondly its for use in a 12-16 group and they are lively to say the least, the area could be described as being "rough" with a high crime rate, so something to capture thier imaginations.
×
×
  • Create New...