Bugs
Members-
Posts
195 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Bugs
-
i`m running windows 7 built it under enhanced it runs fine.
-
I`m playing round with an RM Mobile One, In the BIOS under IDE configuration there are two option Enhanced and Compatible. there is an explanation next to the option but its not very clear. Is the compatible mode for running IDE drives and enhanced mode for running SATA? just wondered cause iv just rebuilt one with the BIOS set to enhanced previously this always bluescreened on boot but, this appears to be fine. Thanks
-
UPDATE: Iv re-created the MSI using Witem Installer and it doesnt seem to recognise any of the GUID's, when I login the small config runs but then says "this action is only available to installed programs" I tried using Advanced Installer but this one changes the GUIS everytime so I cant get it into the setup without changing it.
-
Thanks SYNACK, but I need to deploy the reg settings via the MSI really, Mr Ben - I do have this package already deployed out but version 1.2.6 is also deployed and just for a quick MP3 fix I wanted to deploy the Lame codec to these machines.
-
I dont think my line manager would go for that, he'd prefer all changes to happen at installation, sorry to be a pain!
-
well personally I would have done that but it has been deployed now minus the codec so I need to create another package to drop the codec in place and setup so audacity can locate it
-
Hi All, Iv been given the task of packaging the audacity lame codec so it can be deployed so our version of audacity (1.2.6) can save as MP3, we dont want to upgrade as yet as this software is very widespread across our RM CC4 multi-site network. Iv created an MSI using the witem installer software which drop the codec files into "C:\program Files\Audacity\Audacity 1.2.6\Plug-Ins\" and also write two registry keys one to the HKCU hive giving the location of the Lame.dll file, also in HKLM under the active setup theres a key detailing the MSI's GUID and to copy anything detailed in the HKCU to all users. The first couple of tests I did seemed to work OK, when logging in I got a little Audacity setup screen with a progress bar and it found the lame codec, great I thought but next time I came to test it didnt display any setup dialogues on login and couldnt locate the lame codec, I tried again on a different machine and this one did display the dialogue on login but then asked for the installation source MSI file. It all just seems a bit hit and miss, does anyone have a concrete solution for deploying the lame codec? Thanks
-
my target audiance is my line manager
-
think thats what my managers after really pure tech stuff
-
Hi, Iv been asked by my line manager to write a technical article each week on a IT subject iv chosen, and i`m after some suggestions as to what I can cover. I have already done DNS, DHCP, and RAID. Thanks
-
Hi All, We have Autocad 2004.0.0 installed on our Windows 7 RM CC4 network, alot of our students still use Autocad 2004 and were finding more and more that when students try and load it it displays a Fatal Error. If we reset the students profile it usually fixes it and it then loads OK. Sometimes when it doesn't work, we have to remove they're local profile, reset the account in the console and it works again. In the past its been every so often but, over the past few weeks its been getting more and more. so much so that now the teacher sends up a note of students to reset usually around 10 accounts. I have searched the web, there has been lots of posts saying about the problem but now real solutions apart from bin it and upgrade. Once Autocad is up and running it's fine and there appears to be no incompatibilities. anyone seen this before. Thanks
-
Hi All, I`m just reading up on DNS and NS records, and while I have found lots of description of what they are, there's none saying in what situation you would need to specify one. I have only ever dealt with 'flat' networks so multiple DNS servers have never been needed (i`m assuming this is where you would use NS records) some tell me if i`m wrong though! Thanks
-
Ahhhhhh didnt think of that, thanx guys been bugging me all weekend!
-
You can tell me i`m talking out my bum but, I set up a wireless infrastructure in a school and that how I set that up, I gave all 7 or so AP's the same SSID same security settings, obviously different IP's but all pointing to the same gateway, with the same subnet. how come that worked?
-
Hi All, My neighbor, has very kindly said I can use his internet connection, trouble is the signals pretty weak and if I move anywhere other than my front room I loose it (the signal that is) I thought I have an old wireless AP I can just give that AP the same SSID and security details and in the Gateway if I put my neighbors AP everything should be great. I set it up and it just doesn't work I can join the network and it joins using my AP but I cant get on the net. I have tried my phone and my laptop and I get the same results. I have double checked all my IP settings, DHCP is not enabled so my phone and laptop are on statics which iv set right. If I turn my AP off my laptop works but my phone doesn't (but maybe i`m being impatient) My AP does have a repeater section where I enter in the MAC address of a remote and one of a child but this doesn't seem to work does anyone have any thoughts or pointers?
-
I know the company offer webhosting and managed services but, I think its a mixture to be honest
-
Hi all, Im going for an interview on wednesday for a server support role they were very interested in my linux experience which to be honest isnt extensive. Dont get me wrong I havnt lied but my experience is mainly desktop linux with a bit of cli thrown in. Iv been brushing up on my linux knowledge just wondered what peops think my focus should be? Thanx
-
Hi all, I have a HP ScanJet N7710 scanner which we still use, I have setup profiles on it so the user can just press a button on the scanner and it opens the scan software, scans and saves to a pre-determined location. Problem were having is sometimes it seems to loose these profile settings, If I go into the tools (where I set it what to open when which button is pressed) there are no profiles and in the bottom left of the windows it says 'No Scanner detected' in the past a PC restart on restarting scanner has sorted this, but on this occasion it hasnt. The Scanner appears in Devices and printers, and if I run the HP scanner software it asks me to confirm the scanner and which port its plugged into I do this and the box just pops up again. I have already changed the USB lead. Just cant think of what else it could be. any suggestions Thanks
-
Hiya all, were looking for an alternative to RM's Auditor software? weve tried a few different packages and not really found anything that works. primarily we want it to record what is being run by the users. Has anyone come accross anything.
-
Hi All, apologies if this has been done to death. I`m looking for a podcast feed to learning techy skills. I found the microsoft podcasts on thier technet site, which looked pretty good but I dont seem to be able to get google reader to subscribe to them. I`m going to using them on my android phone and have google reader and Listen, does anyone have any recommends? i`m looking for all aspects of IT from subnetting, programming, servers? Thanks
-
I`m looking for antivirus software for a Windows 2000 box my first thoughts were either Microsoft Security Essential which I since found out is a no go. Second is RM VP5 and I have found two sites which contradict its compatibility. firstly the Symantec Site which says it is compatible with Windows 2000, (I should add for those that do not know VP 5 is based on Symantec Endpoint Security 11) and the RM Site does not mention Windows 2000 so I can only assume they are saying VP 5 is not compatible with Windows 2000. Anyone clear this up?
-
I can boot a windows 98 Bootdisk and get access to the CD drive but, I cant run setup from windows or install linux
-
OK, sorry see what you mean now I can boot from USB floppy. I have checked that the CD/DVD's are bootable all are, and have tried both USB and the internal drives with no luck
-
My origonal issue was I couldnt boot from CD which is why i`m trying to update the BIOS but it keeps displaying this error
-
Iv downloaded the BIOS update for the 290 & 290D I cant be certain which mine is because the stickers worn off on the base but, I do know its a Pentium M as its listed in the BIOS so I assumed it was one of these two. When I run the update utility however it gos through the motions then I get an error saying 'Error - The PROJECT ID is not correct!' I tried several times as I thought it might be my disk but it has come up with the same error any ideas?
