Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

unixman

Members
  • Posts

    141
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by unixman

  1. A decent virus scanner (which should be run on any computer irrespective of the OS) will help you out there. And tbh, spyware is a PEBKAC thing. If you're careful and pay attention to what you download you won't get infected. Make sure that your users run as suitably restricted users and make sure they don't have full access to the hard drive and OS and you will notice that your spyware problems mysteriously disappear. But why should we need virus scanners at all? Remember viruses exist to exploit holes in the O/S. Without holes there would be no viruses. The programmers at Microsoft work hard to patch these holes but have yet to suceed. Recent press shows that they have given up - aren't Microsoft moving into the anti-virus market? If they are, the cynic in me spots a nice marketting oportunity. Remember companies like Microsoft exist not for the benefit of users but to benefit the shareholders. The community lead initiative of Linux is there for us users. Of the two choices given I'd choose Ubuntu, however I run Fedora Core at home. FC6 is very pretty with all the bells and whistles on. Being a performance freak, I've switched them off. For a laptop environment it's hard to go past the MacBook - M$ like GUI with BSD Unix underneath, surely the best of both worlds. Heck, you can even get MSOffice for it!
  2. The moodle website has all you need to know http://docs.moodle.org/en/Flat_file
  3. Demon are 2mb for home users and I had a letter from them yesterday announcing an upgrade to 8mb at not additional cost. Business Demon is currently being upgraded to 2mb (from 500), again for free. Of course, they may not offer those speeds "in the sticks".
  4. A classic from the Unix fortune file... the greatest Electrical Pioneer of them all was Thomas Edison, who was a brilliant inventor despite the fact that he had little formal education and lived in New Jersey. Edison's first major invention in 1877, was the phonograph, which could soon be found in thousands of American homes, where it basically sat until 1923, when the record was invented. But Edison's greatest achievement came in 1879, when he invented the electric company. Edison's design was a brilliant adaptation of the simple electrical circuit: the electric company sends electricity through a wire to a customer, then immediately gets the electricity back through another wire, then (this is the brilliant part) sends it right back to the customer again. This means that an electric company can sell a customer the same batch of electricity thousands of times a day and never get caught, since very few customers take the time to examine their electricity closely. In fact the last year any new electricity was generated in the United States was 1937; the electric companies have been merely re-elling it ever since, which is why they have so much free time to apply for rate increases. -- Dave Barry, "What is Electricity?"
  5. I use Demon at home and I rate them highly, although others don't. They may not have a product fast enough for you. Speaking from experience, BT are very unhelpful - one site I work at were longer without a service than with, when we used BT. Have you checked http://www.adslguide.org.uk/
  6. There is a story in the Birmingham papers today saying that Amnesty International is appealing to campaigners in Birmingham to add their names to an online pledge calling for worldwide internet freedom. The story can be accessed at http://icbirmingham.icnetwork.co.uk/birminghampost/news/tm_objectid=17151905%26method=full%26siteid=50002%26headline=plea-over-internet-censorship-name_page.html The story contains a hyperlink to an online petition where you can show your support. The LEA have censored this petition - I guess I'll have to sign it at home.
  7. I've done the uni route (degree in computer science) and I've gained a swag of industry qualifications. Getting an M$ and/or Cisco qual (or IBM and Linux quals which I have) are all well and good until you find yourself working on different hardware, which can happen. I come from a bit iron background and my big iron quals are next to useless in getting a job on Intel boxes or Sun boxes or whatever. It's always been the BSc after my name that has gotten me the job, not the IBM letters.
  8. unixman

    Cable tampering

    Try these http://www.daskeyboard.com/ Shame they are so expensive; I'd love to have these in the classrooms. My keyboard at home is very nearly like them, but it is very old!
  9. I'm with @openhgs on this. One DC is all we have too and it works fine. If that box dies, we have no CMIS either, but in the last two years the box has only been down twice as a consequence of hardware. Both times were when I resited it. We get CMIS issues but these are application problems and so no amount of DCs will resolve them. We don't use Active Directory either. Microsoft say you have too, but don't believe em! W2K works fine without using it. It *might* be called "Active Directory Users & Computers" but it is the same as existed on NT4.
  10. I've just tried this with a HP Compaq T5520 and FC3 as the server. Yes it worked, but I can see no advantage of running this, when compared to the LTSP for example. We are an LTSP site and we use the aforementioned HP clients. With LTSP these clients PXE boot and are loaded with a Linux kernel. You can also very easily roll your own thin clients and thin client server; the procedure is well documented. Speedof the RDP server was not impressive; I would like to see metrics. My brief test clearly showed that the LTSP was faster than their RDP server (my test was me playing xgammon and there were some very slow screen refreshes when running under the Thinstuff server). No mention of cost on their website either, which is never a good sign. I want to know how much something is going to cost before I consider it. -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK---- Version: 3.12 GIT$ d- s:- a+ C UL(A)++++$ P-(+) L+++ E--- W++ N++ o? K? w- !O M- V- PS+ PE- Y-- PGP-- t+@ 5-- X R- tv(+) b+ DI-- D--- G- e++ h r-- y-- ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
  11. Hello openhgs I'm guessing that your 10.121.x.x network is connected ultimately to the internet, in which case set the gateway of that NIC to the i/p address of the i/net router (obviously). Your 192.168.x.x network probably (and logically) has the gateway set to the 10.121.x.x address of the W2K box. It won't like that, so set no gateway. Next run mmc rrasmgmt.msc For the 192.168 card (XP clients) IP Routing > IGMP (general tab) enable IGMP & enable IGMP router (protocol vers 2). For the 10.121 card (rest of world) IP Routing > IGMP (general tab) enable IGMP & enable IGMP proxy. That should be all that is required. If it still doesn't work, add a static route to the i/net gateway using the route command at DOS (almost the same format as the Unix command) -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK---- Version: 3.12 GIT$ d- s:- a+ C UL(A)++++$ P-(+) L+++ E--- W++ N++ o? K? w- !O M- V- PS+ PE- Y-- PGP-- t+@ 5-- X R- tv(+) b+ DI-- D--- G- e++ h r-- y-- ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
×
×
  • Create New...