Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

DavR

Members
  • Posts

    1,947
  • Joined

Everything posted by DavR

  1. Are you sure? What if we added an AI assistant that monitored your dietary intake and nags you when you've gone over. Maybe it could lock the fridge for you if you exceed 2500 calories in a day
  2. Cloud, specifically, the Internet of Things, in this instance.
  3. A bit more breathing room, then. And puts the deadline for migrating to on prem into the half term hols (for most of us) which is a better than trying to get it done in September.
  4. Getting real "Zoom vs Teams" vibes from this threat - staff like the crappy home user tools, and are resistant to the proper enterprise ones we're pushing 😂 We don't have any approved AIs, we're still working on getting our AI policy in place. In the meantime, all AI tools are blocked for students, but we've left the big players available for staff. Ultimately I'm leaning on getting CoPilot and Google Gemini as our main approved AIs, but I suspect we'll have to include ChatGPT as an option with some very strict usage rules.
  5. Just a quick note on this point, as I got as far as registering the anchor account and getting the on prem appliance running this afternoon, and had the same issue. The appliance starts, but boots to a black screen. This is discussed on this thread here - https://community.cambiumnetworks.com/t/cnmaestro-6-0-on-prem-on-hyper-v/108854/6. You basically just need to remove "splash" or "quiet splash" from the boot options in grub bootloader. To do it once, hold down shift at boot, choose your OS entry from the list, and hit e to edit. You can set this as a permanent change by editing grub: sudo nano /etc/default/grub Remove "quiet splash" or "splash" from GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="" Save and exit You then need to regenerate the boot file: sudo update-grub HOWEVER. And this is important. Editing grub can cause it to create a boot config that calls the wrong drive UUID to boot, which will break the whole appliance. I managed to get it to save the right UUID eventually, but I'm not sure how. So only go here with caution, or if you know what you're doing with Linux grub bootloader.
  6. Sign In App has a companion app you can install on mobile devices to use for the evac - but predictably, our office staff refused to install that on personal devices and we can't justify dedicated devices with data SIMS just for fire evac. The answer? They don't use the evac function, they print the list of visitors out at moment of evac (or at least I'm told they do, I don't think it actually happens). Students are on paper evac reports in advance. I have no power or say in how these functions are run, I just despair quietly from a distance.
  7. You've not got any redirected folders or similar that it might be having trouble with, have you? IIRC it mainly uses appdata in the user profile on startup. I don't think it puts anything in My Docs locations but I could be wrong. Have you checked the web filtering logs? Just in case it's hitting something and failing during startup - licensing or update server perhaps.
  8. We use GP to delete the login run entry below, to stop Creative Cloud running at first login: HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run AdobeCreative Cloud I'm on version 6.10.0.252.41 and am not having that problem, but we are user licensed not device, for whatever difference that might make.
  9. Still a few unanswered questions there, I would say. They've bought cnMaestro cloud services sure, but, will they honour existing usage agreements from outside the Point-To-Point sector of the market. They could still cut off Enterprise WiFi customers if they wish.
  10. I feel for you @Planehazza, Shared iPad just isn't fit for purpose, for younger kids at least, and especially on older devices. iPads were never designed for multi-user environments, they're fundamentally single user devices. There are ways and means to fudge that, but none are great. But that's not what those above want to hear, is it. They like the iPad functionality, so you must find a way of making it work accountably for safeguarding and Cyber Essentials. Argh.
  11. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that LGfL wouldn't have been the same company they are today without John's drive and enthusiasm. He really pushed things forward, and for that schools, and the Ed Tech industry as a whole, have a lot to be grateful for. On a lighter note, also the absolute master of the loud shirt. You knew when John was on the stand at BETT or whatever because you could see/hear his shirt from half a mile away. An inspiration to us all 😂 He will be missed.
  12. I mean, if you've nothing on-prem to host a local version, and/or, no local expertise available to do so, I guess it might be worth it for some. It is a bit outrageous for essentially hosting a VM in the cloud for you though.
  13. That's weird, we don't have that release in our cnMaestro as an option. And it won't let you go down to 7.1.1r5, even if you try just the one AP individually? I guess your only option then is to go up to 7.1.2-r9, which I believe is stable. But this is a one way process, you can't revert back from 7.1.2, so it is a bit of a gamble!
  14. @Andycat Can you double check that firmware version number? It should only be three digits and then rX on the end. I believe if they're already on 7.1.2 or above, then you can't downgrade below this.
  15. That's interesting, I wonder what 7.1.2 adds that is irreversible. Still, does that mean that 7.1.2r9 is an option for you @Andycat? Maybe try one AP first and see if it solves your problem, before rolling it out across the whole site.
  16. From the cnMaestro page: Go to AP Groups Select the AP group Devices Software Update Device Type - Enterprise Wifi X7 From here you can select all APs, and choose a lower version of the firmware to downgrade to. We're running on 7.1.1r5 with no problems.
  17. Which controller are you using, cloud or on prem?
  18. Looks like the recommended tag is dependent on your configuration. I just offered 7.2r1 to one of my X7-35X, and it said it would break my access control policies if I did.
  19. You can download 7.1.1r5 from this page (Cambium login required) https://support.cambiumnetworks.com/files/wifi-7_X735X/archive
  20. We're using 7.1.1r5 on our X7-35X APs. On the cloud controller, this is listed as the recommended firmware, even though there are newer ones available. On the cloud controller, you should be able to use the Software Update tool and just roll back. Unless you're on the on prem already and that's not an option?
  21. Well, quite. I also put out the feelers to buy a spare AP, but haven't had anything back yet.
  22. Just had an email saying that my RMA for a faulty AP has been processed, and I should get the new one on Monday! I'll believe it when I see it, but if so, that's one less worry with this situation.
  23. Boooooo! Thanks for the tip. I guess nothing good ever lasts.
  24. We tend to use Kingsfield IT (now morphing into XMA) for our bits and bobs. I'll also use them to quote on bigger projects, sometimes they win, sometimes they don't, but their prices overall tend to be fairly keen. The key thing for us has been having a good relationship with the account manager, and generally getting a same day response when we ask for prices or recommendations. Efficiency counts for a lot when you're just trying to get a job done. That said, our account manager is changing so we'll see what the new guy is like.
  25. Is anyone successfully using the inbuilt Microsoft Outlook email encryption with an Office 365 A1 subscription? I can see various guides on enabling Microsoft Purview Message Encryption, but these all seem to rely on Azure Rights Management. From what I can find, Office 361 A1 includes a basic edition of Purview Message Encryption, but not Azure Rights Management, which Purview Message Encryption needs to function?! This seems kinda contradictory. I'm pretty sure from the guides I've seen I could just enabled Azure Rights Management, but I'm just trying to stay within my current agreement. Microsoft licensing, once again, clear as mud 😂 Tbh it's a bit of an academic question, as we have Egress Switch for when we really want encryption. But someone said the other day that they were requested to use it by one of their contacts, so it would be good to give her a firm Yes or No.
×
×
  • Create New...