Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

TRC_MA

Members
  • Posts

    53
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by TRC_MA

  1. Normally I might also suggest a factory reset or similar but I would hate for you to lose data, RAID config, etc. as a result.
  2. I don't know how accessible the insides are in terms of treating it like a PC and swapping RAM etc to diagnose but perhaps start there? Also if it has a serial port it may have been set to output to a console rather than VGA display (you would need a PC with PuTTY or similar to connect to it) but I am just guessing here.
  3. Not from experience, sorry. My first step would be to do a search of Distrowatch for NAS category distros - DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD. It looks like of the four results one is NAS4Free, a fork of the FreeNAS project, a third is 64bit only, leaving DistroWatch.com: OpenMediaVault as your only option?
  4. I just remembered the last time I tried this the documentation hadn't been updated to match the syslinux downloaded files. If you go through the notes there you will probably find the PXE client fails to boot and will say "could not find file abc.xyz" (a bunch of C32 something something files if I recall correctly), and possibly a path too. Unzip the download, search for the file that the client says is missing and copy the version of the file for the correct architecture for your PXE boot, and to the equivalent path. For example: 32bit PXE client wants "abc.xyz", copy syslinux\....\x86\....\abc.xyz to ....\Boot\x86\ on your WDS server. 64bit PXE client wants "123\abc.xyz", copy syslinux\...\x64\...\abc.xyz to ....\Boot\x64\123\ on your WDS server. Repeat as necessary, I think I needed 3 reboots to find the paths and names of the files that were missing.
  5. I don't know if this will help you but I have used it to PXE boot Linux live CD/USB images - WDSLINUX - Syslinux Wiki NAS4Free is FreeBSD, not Linux, so I don't promise this will work for you but should you run out of options and go for a Linux NAS it may do what you need. Do you know if the NAS itself is capable of PXE?
  6. Thanks all for the suggestions. I have gotten somewhere with ImageBase but will keep your recommendations in mind if we hit a showstopper.
  7. Good morning, Our college currently uses IDPro and a not always reliable card printer. The software is end of life and we are looking for another supplier - IDPro is now owned by Essentra, when I called their technical support a couple of months ago to ask about their replacement software they were unaware that it was now available for purchase and had not been trained on supporting it. Could anyone recommend a system they use? I saw another thread for just the printer, we would need both. Thanks in advance.
×
×
  • Create New...