Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Geoff

Edu Supporters
  • Posts

    13,543
  • Joined

Everything posted by Geoff

  1. Which is why the hybrid ones exist.
  2. multiple solar panels are bad. They cause lag. That's why the advanced ones exist.
  3. electric wrench in lossless mode (check your keybinds).
  4. CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!
  5. My blaze farm built from wood is working now, and it only burnt down once!
  6. root@woody:~# ldd /usr/bin/mtr linux-vdso.so.1 => (0x00007fff07d79000) libresolv.so.2 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libresolv.so.2 (0x00007fe5cd420000) libm.so.6 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6 (0x00007fe5cd124000) libncurses.so.5 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libncurses.so.5 (0x00007fe5ccf02000) libc.so.6 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 (0x00007fe5ccb43000) libdl.so.2 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdl.so.2 (0x00007fe5cc93f000) libtinfo.so.5 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtinfo.so.5 (0x00007fe5cc717000) /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x00007fe5cd644000)
  7. It would be best to do the diagnostics from the smoothwall box surely. @tom_newton Do the smoothwall boxes come with mtr installed for example?
  8. It's not an Oracle SAN. However the front end server has 128Gb of RAM and Intel Xeons with 4x4 Cores. It also has a hardware card to offload the SHA256. So it's not like I didn't try. However 2012's dedupe runs on a schedule does it not? Because we're a 24/7 operation so I would need it to run real-time. Regardless, I just gave up on the idea and threw more storage at the problem.
  9. This reminded me of something. Not entirely relevant to what we're discussing now, but if/when we switch to the new FTB 1.5.2 beta build or 1.6 (when it arrives) or just a world reset. Can you put the old world up for download.
  10. I only really use it on our (120Tb) archive system currently. It is rarely accessed and using space efficiently is more important than speed of access. This system also runs with compression on some parts of the file system although this is rapidly becoming an irrelevance as file formats start to adopt compression natively (wav -> mp3 and office 97 -> office XML). Our day to day working file set (6Tb) runs uncompressed and with no deduplication.
  11. Ah ha, fun. I use this script on my server if it's any interest.
  12. I can probably help if it's the minecraft server that's causing the problem.
  13. We have taken over a nearby office (downstairs) and as such have come into possession of the previous tennats equipment (they left in some hurry and not on the best of terms with the building owners). One of these items is the phone system, an Avaya IPOffice 500v2 and a collection of compatible handsets. Rather than reinventing the wheel I'd quite like to get this up and running. To do so I will need to gain access to the system and reset/reconfigure it. I can find little to no information in the Avaya support website to clue me in on how to do this. Do any Edugeekers own such a telephone system and can give me a clue as to how to reset it to factory settings? Additionally, what do I do about firmware upgrades and licensing? Is it attached to the hardware? or will I 'lose' everything when I reset it?
  14. I've run Dedupe on ZFS on a BSD Fileserver before now and I have to warn you to be careful. You need to look at your workloads and check if dedupe is really worth it to you. In my case the system overhead caused by running deduping was not worth the performance hit. So when hard drives are so cheap per GB in the long run I found it better overall not to dedupe and just throw more disk space at the problem.
  15. Well you can run at the upper range (Google runs at 26.7C/80F) however you need to be sure you can recover from an A/C failure fast (or have redundancy). Otherwise run cooler and have a little more wiggle room.
  16. A temperature range of 16–24 °C (61–75 °F) and humidity range of 40–55% with a maximum dew point of 15 °C.
  17. It's a bargin at the 20 Euro/USD price imho.
  18. One of the main benefits of playing on a server is that you can look at other peoples setups and ask them about them. Also jumping into single player creative mode is very handy for avoiding expensive mistakes.
  19. Cool, will check it out later tonight. Hopefully nothing is broken. D:
  20. What does the serverside Forge log say?
  21. Nice one, btw there is a crash bug with the new update (I hope you do regular backups @localzuk ). A update with the bugfixs will be pushed out soon. Ultimate 1.1.1 Bug Thread | Feed the Beast In the meantime, no one open up a ChickenCodeChunks Chunkloader GUI, you will crash the server.
  22. @localzuk Server update required!
  23. I recommend buildcraft engines (of any description) plus thermal expansion powered furnace/pulveriser/sawmill. You can quite easily semi-automate them using the machines configuration (auto eject pulverised ore into the powered furnace, use buildcraft hoppers, chests, pipes for input/output).
  24. So I achieved more in your fledgling base in 15mins by making some pipes and a redstone engine than you did all night?
  25. I'll surprise you.
×
×
  • Create New...