MrDylan
Members-
Posts
99 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by MrDylan
-
I recomment Universal AV here in Bradford, email Matthew Anderson on [email protected] I get most of my things from there, most recently two replacement Promethean pens at £25 instead of the £45 charged everywhere else!
-
Or, just forget about it. The way I see it is, they get a little bit of customization for their own area, that causes no damage, and only inconveniences them. If they need come to me with a problem that involves navigating the area then I just say I won't do anything to help unless I can see the writing. Also, they probably can see the writing when logged in as them, when it's been done here they've put images as backgrounds, but the location is usally their mapped drive so it's broken when anyone but them looks in their folder. If it's really bothering you that much set a script to delete it or overwrite it with a clean one at logon.
-
If I file's hidden they could still open it by opening notepad, going to their folder and typing in the name though surely? Hidden is just that right? Hidden, not actually inaccessible?
-
How about using permissions so that only SYSTEM and Administrators could edit it? lol yeh I guess
-
To change your text colour just delete that file, or change this section that I suspect is in there (taken from a Students area) [{BE098140-A513-11D0-A3A4-00C04FD706EC}] Attributes=1 IconArea_Image=H:\Jonnys pics\ffx2_6.jpg IconArea_Text=0x00FFFFFF
-
So disabling access to the menu item will stop it....or so you would think! Students here can't access those settings yet still change the their home folder appearance. The method? desktop.ini file in their areas can be edited using notepad, not sure how you'd stop this, and to be honest I've never been too bothered to research it.
-
It comes in silver too.
-
Microsoft Office 2003 Clipart Really SLOW!!!
MrDylan replied to BKGarry's topic in Educational Software
John, you can disable it using the Office ADM, find the option here: User Configuration | Administrative Templates | Microsoft Clip Organizer and set the Hide Web Collections option to Enabled. -
Microsoft Office 2003 Clipart Really SLOW!!!
MrDylan replied to BKGarry's topic in Educational Software
thankyou, glad I've helped someone! I've had quite a productive day, very strange. -
Microsoft Office 2003 Clipart Really SLOW!!!
MrDylan replied to BKGarry's topic in Educational Software
I didn't know how to get it to work through deployment, was easy enough just having it run when i logged in and going round a room. -
hehe. Ours can have holidays specified, and it copes with our two week timetable.
-
Trouble is even if I did set up something like that, they'd just log in every day and top it up. I usually let them book a half a term in advance. At the end of the day though, I now just say it's not my responsibilty, they're nto children ffs!
-
Microsoft Office 2003 Clipart Really SLOW!!!
MrDylan replied to BKGarry's topic in Educational Software
All you have to do is run this line on the workstations. msiexec.exe /i \\SERVERNAME\OfficeClipArt\CAG.MSI ADDSOURCE=ALL /qb The only problem I had was that I needed to run it when I was logged in, pupils didn't have the permissions. The important bits of that line are the location (obviously) and the ADDSOURCE bit. That just makes it access the clipart from that location, if you changed it to ADDLOCAL I believe it will copy the clipart to the local machine. Info found here : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/897754/EN-US/ -
We used to have an Excel Spreadsheet on the network that teachers could check and we'd book them. Ended up with people booking the wrong days and then having conflicts, been given lists of loads of dates to book or asked to remember to book rooms weeks in advance that we didn't have timetables for and even being asked by staff if people were off or weren't using a room they'd booked for any reason. Ended up taking so much of our time, and being asked things we had no idea what the answers were we paid someone, only about £150 to make a web based booking system. Now people log on and get a list of rooms with timetables, showing if it's booked or whatnot and they book things themselves. The only problem now is people complain they can't get in because other staff have booked loads. Not my problem I say, nothing I can do, nothing to do with me, take it up with the purpetrator.
-
Microsoft Office 2003 Clipart Really SLOW!!!
MrDylan replied to BKGarry's topic in Educational Software
Our Office Clipart was slow because it tries to search the internet. I installed the Office ADM template and disabled the Internet Search function for the students. I then copied the XP Media Content CD onto a server and ran a file which tells office to look at that for clipart, not for locally installed clip art. Seems to work ok, let me know if you want any more details. -
Reply: [sorry,] access to that information is above my payscale. Did you try the Advanced Feature box?
-
I'd be interested in that script Kyle. Always wondered why our mail server was so slow to shut down compared to the rest of them.
-
We first had this problem on our HP2300s. I've found in the past that Checking or Unchecking (can't remember which, and it may actually vary) the 'Enable Advanced Printing Features' box can fix it. It's found at the bottom under the Advanced tab of the printer properties. I also (memory is terrible) can't remember if you need to do it on the server or the client, if indeed it is a network printer.
-
I like the Breadcrumb Bar. And I like upgrading.
-
Wow, and it's in my home town! Not often we get things...cept the odd riot obviously.
-
Done it ) The Knowledgebase article explains that you can change it to a - what I'd call a normal - way of writing the IP, so that's all I did for all localhost, Curriculum and Admin. I also ran the keys.bat file from the website to regenerate the Security Certificate and restarted the Tomcat service and all works nicely now. Thanks for all your help people, especially SteveT.
-
Thanks Steve T that looks promising. I’ve looked through the KnowledgeBase Article titled “How will changing my network’s IP range affect my KS3 ICT testing software†and have gotten to step 7 of editing the server.xml file but am not sure how to change it. It currently looks as below: allow="(^127\.0\.0\.1$)|(^(((192))\.((168))\.(([0-9])|([1-9][0-9])|(1[0-9][0-9])|(2[0-4][0-9])|(25[0-5]))\.(([0-9])|([1-9][0-9])|(1[0-9][0-9])|(2[0-4][0-9])|(25[0-5])))$)"/> I presume this is telling it the current IP settings using the Curriculum Network. I need to add in the Admin Network which uses IP addresses of 10.15.x.x I'm completely useless at code, what should the line look like? Thanks, Dylan
-
I thought I'd put this in the original post but it seems not. When I installed the software and I entered the IP range which could have access it was only given the Curriculum range, i think that's the problem but I don't know of any way to get to add any more range to it now circumstances have cahnged.
-
The two servers used to be totally seperate physically, but now they are accessible using vLANs, though the two networks have different IP ranges. There is other web based (though not secure site) resources on the same server which are accessible from both networks with no problems.
-
Thing is when I installed it I thought it would only be accessed from the Curriculum Network, so the accessible range then was fine. Now it needs to be accessed from both networks that's no longer the case and I need to change it.
