Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

BBrian

Members
  • Posts

    63
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by BBrian

  1. I upgraded the computer lab from Win98 machines to a Terminal Server setup, no Citrix involved. There's no issue but the drivers. I tried, I think, two versions of XP drivers and also checked that the necessary service was started (can't recall its name). I've given up on the existing scanner being used here. I'm not even trying to attach the scanner to a client. The TS itself is being used as a workstation, so we can play DVDs on the room's projector. I'll Google XenApp Twain and see if any particular models are mentioned.
  2. Does anyone know of a compatible scanner to use with Server 2003? I'm using the Terminal Server itself as a workstation and HP don't have compatible drivers for the scanner we have. I did some googling but couldn't find anything concrete.
  3. How does one go about viewing the contents of profiles already set up?
  4. I've bought three WRT54GL routers as I've needed them, using ddwrt. Now I've three access points (schoolname1,2,3) but would like one network covering the whole school. I tried just setting the SSID, channel and WPA key to be the same, but the laptops we are using (Dell) stick to whichever access point they pick up first. What's the correct way of doing this?
  5. Is there a way of running MSIs as administrator? I haven't noticed "Run As..." in the context menu, like there is for exes.
  6. BBrian

    Daemon Tools

    Here's the AutoIt script I use for v4.30.1. I found it over on the MSFN forums. You need SPTD for Daemon Tools to work, so deploy it by wrapping with WIWW, using the silent switch: "add /q", and setting it to force reboot. Then compile the AutoIt script, wrap it, and put a WMI filter on the GPO so it only installs when it sees the SPTD is installed. It needs to run once as administrator to initialise the drive, which I haven't bothered figuring out yet. It may be as easy as changing the last RegWrite below to HKLM instead of HKCU. I have the shortcuts set to be moved/deleted to suit myself, so you should check that part of the script. #RequireAdmin $DTTITLE = "Daemon Tools Lite 4.30.1" $INSTALLDIR = @ProgramFilesDir & "\Daemon Tools Lite" $EXENAME = "daemon4301-lite.exe" ;Save Internet Explorer homepage (prevent Internet Explorer to launch) $HomePage = RegRead("HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main", "Start Page") ;Clear default internet browser temporary $DefBrowser = RegRead("HKCR\HTTP\shell\open\command\", "") RegDelete("HKCR\HTTP\shell\open\command\", "") ;Save mds fileassociation $mds_assoc = RegRead("HKCR\.mds", "") ;Launch Daemon Tools setup $Pid = Run(@ScriptDir & "\" & $EXENAME & " /S") ;Kill Daemon Tools toolbar installation process If ProcessWait("Daemon Tools Toolbar.exe", 300) Then ProcessClose("Daemon Tools Toolbar.exe") ProcessWaitClose("Daemon Tools Toolbar.exe") FileDelete($INSTALLDIR & "\DAEMON Tools Toolbar.exe") EndIf ProcessWaitClose($Pid) ; Close browsers processes $PID = ProcessExists("firefox.exe") If $PID Then ProcessClose($PID) EndIf $PID = ProcessExists("IEXPLORE.EXE") If $PID Then ProcessClose($PID) EndIf $PID = ProcessExists("opera.exe") If $PID Then ProcessClose($PID) EndIf ;Restore the default internet browser RegWrite("HKCR\HTTP\shell\open\command\", "", "REG_SZ", $DefBrowser) ;Restore the home page of Internet Explorer RegWrite("HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main", "", "REG_SZ", $HomePage) ;Don't associate with any files RegDelete("HKLM\SOFTWARE\DT Soft\DAEMON Tools Lite\FileTypesSave") ;Restore mds association RegWrite("HKCR\.mds", "", "REG_SZ", $mds_assoc) RegDelete("HKCR\.mds", "fastmountoldfile") ;Cleanup shortcuts DirRemove(@ProgramsCommonDir & "\DAEMON Tools Lite", 1) FileMove (@DesktopCommonDir & "\DAEMON Tools Lite.lnk", @ProgramsCommonDir & "Accessories\Utilities\Daemon Tools Lite.lnk", 8) ;Write uninstall information to registry RegWrite("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\DAEMON Tools Lite", "DisplayName", "REG_SZ", $DTTITLE) RegWrite("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\DAEMON Tools Lite", "DisplayIcon", "REG_SZ",$INSTALLDIR & "\daemon.exe") RegWrite("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\DAEMON Tools Lite", "InstallLocation", "REG_SZ", $INSTALLDIR) RegWrite("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\DAEMON Tools Lite", "UninstallString", "REG_SZ", $INSTALLDIR & "\uninst.exe") RegWrite("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\DAEMON Tools Lite", "NoModify", "REG_DWORD", 1) ;Run DaemonTools once after logon RegWrite("HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce", "DAEMON Tools Lite", "REG_SZ", $INSTALLDIR & "\daemon.exe")
  7. What permissions need to be set for this? Our AUP tells people to assume everything is logged and there is no privacy, but I've always been wary of messing with the permissions on the folders that were automatically created for roaming profiles and folder redirection. I have it in my head that there's a setting in a GPO somewhere, but don't know it.
  8. How come? I'm guessing the firewall should be sitting between your network and the internet, rather than being taken care of on individual pcs?
  9. I don't want to make a new thread and this seems an appropriate place.. What's video performance like for people with Terminal Server setups? I have 15 400MHz Celerons with Win98 booting with RDP client in startup, I only just read about thinstation now. Is video a realistic expectation in thin-client setups? I've a dual quad w/ 4gb ram usually serving 16 clients. Probably overpowered but I expect this to increase. I've been using the server itself (not rackmount) as a workstation so the teachers have a DVD player hooked up to the computer lab's projector. Any suggestions on the ideal setup are welcome.
  10. You can script everything you want done with AutoIt and use WIWW to wrap it as an MSI. A better way would probably be to script the registry changes in the startup script and remove them after a week. I regularly have a few EXEs or EXE/CMD combinations in MSIs by using WIWW. You can get snapshot applications that just do registry changes, regshot being one. I've no experience with them. The correct way to do this is using ADM templates. They work for a good amount of registry keys. Microsoft acquired a company who wrote the software to do the rest, policymaker. I'm not sure if it's available but it wasn't free when I looked at it.
  11. What happens if you reset a password while a user is logged in?
  12. I imagine there is no unfiltered proxy because then NCTE would then have to begin managing passwords for every teacher in the country! We can call up and get the filter turned off or set to be a little more liberal but we want it there for the kids. We also considered getting a separate line in but tunneling should be cheaper and easier. It's working, I just need a password on it.
  13. I'm in Ireland where our school's Internet connection is managed by a government run organisation, the NCTE. Webpages are filtered very well, too well sometimes. Currently, I'm trying to set up an SSL tunnel that teachers can use when a site is blocked. By using the service at Silence is Defeat.org, and their handy guide, I've got a working connection. This runs on our 2003 server, as a socks proxy on port 7777, but I'd like it to require authentication. I Googled a bit for proxy servers that would tunnel through SSL but didn't find any. I then tried setting up Freeproxy, which gave me authentication and supports forwarding to another proxy, but didn't allow me to specify that it was a socks proxy I was forwarding to. I'm hoping for a nice all-in-one solution as the proxy forwarding still leaves the port Putty provides open.
×
×
  • Create New...