Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

ADMaster

Members
  • Posts

    1,402
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by ADMaster

  1. I second dany2010, we had the same issue when we moved to windows 7. All of our students get an S: drive mapped to \\server\year\username and my documents were directed to the s: drive. When we got windows 7 I had to change the redirection to a sub folder of their S: drive \\server\year\username\mydocuments This solved the desktop.ini issue. Even though it is not a true rename it caused problems when a student went from an w7 machine to a XP machine, the their S: drive and documents didn't get mapped properly because the system thought it was renamed.
  2. Our network was just redesigned by a contractor when the new building was added, and I like the setup. Every data closet has it’s own vlan for data, and each building has its separate vlan for various services. For the data vlans the first 25 addresses are not in dhcp scope and used as ip reservations of printers. So it looks something like this Vlan 1 10.0.1.0 Data for ES ER1 Vlan 2 10.0.2.0 Data for ES TR2 Vlan 3 10.0.3.0 ES video Vlan 4 10.0.4.0 HS Data Vlan 5 10.0.5.0 HS Video Etc etc Some vlans are district wide such as Vlan 10 Phone Vlan 11 switches Vlan 12 some severs / some admins a left over from new network plan, didn’t want to change critical servers if we didn’t have to. Vlan 13 new server vlan Vlan 14 guest WIFI Vlan 15 Staff wifi Vlan 16 student wifi It is nice to be able to glance at an IP and know in what building it is in what data closet or whether it is staff student or guest wifi. Make a plan that works for you and your situation, if you can glance at an IP and know where or what it is you have a good plan. I try to keep a wiki updated with static assignments but also use DHCP reservations for printers and copiers etc.
  3. ADMaster

    NFS permissions

    The Iomega is connected to AD for the windows shares, not sure if I can make that work for NFS or not, but the only user I need to set permissions for is www-data, and as far as I know it has always been UID 33, or perhaps that’s the group. I’ve done some testing and I can change the permission of files but I cannot change the owner. Here is some output root@web01:/mnt/www/test# ls -l total 4 -r--r--r-- 1 99 users 6 May 22 2012 test.html root@web01:/mnt/www/test# chown www-data:www-data test.html chown: changing ownership of `test.html': Operation not permitted root@web01:/mnt/www/test# chmod u+w test.html root@web01:/mnt/www/test# ls -l total 4 -rw-r--r-- 1 99 users 6 May 22 2012 test.html root@web01:/mnt/www/test# A quick search for UID 99 says it is a special MAC user ID but, not sure it that’s the case here or not because as myself root, and www-data it still shows 99 as the owner. I use fstab to mount the NFS 10.x.x.x:/nfs/www /mnt/www nfs This is all internal so no firewalls. I will continue to test, thanks for your help.
  4. ADMaster

    NFS permissions

    Hello all, I am setting up a load balanced apache cluster, I have an Iomega StorCenter px4-300r with NFS shares setup for shared storage between the nodes. This is my first time really using NFS for something public facing. Sure I used it with FOG and other apps, but the defaults were fine for internal stuff. I do have NFS access restricted to the IP’s of the nodes. However my problem is I can’t seem to set permissions, once the nfs share is mounted any user has full read / write access. How can I set individual file / folder permissions on an NFS share, the entire web root should not be writable by all. I have read a number of tutorials regarding apache load balancing and shared storage but none of them mentioned permissions. Also is there a better method for shared storage? Thanks,
  5. I don't try to do 1600 at once all my students are in folders by year, so i do one year at a time. Since you have so many in one folder I would try asking your script to do a part of them at once. A-F G-L etc, I don't know about batch, but in Powershell I can do -like a* -or -like b* Give it a try and let us know how it works.
  6. I have not tried these scripts yet, but last time I needed to fix permissions on home directory's I used wisesofts ntfsfix utility NTFSFix
  7. I forgot to mention that another reason we didn't go with SSO is our users use IMAP on their phones and such. @CyberNerd correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding of SSO is that you would need to manually set a password for those that want to use IMAP. Also that password is not linked to AD in any way. Is this correct?
  8. @pete, I am unclear on how you want to link them. In my case I have Moodle using ldap authentication which is AD and I use Google App Directory Sync to create an sync AD users to Google Apps. In this setup my users have the same username and password for their computers, Moodle, and Google. I think you referring to some SSO option, honestly I didn’t explore it that much when I setup. Our power company is not reliable and I didn’t want users to not have access to their mail if some internal SSO server was down, that’s why I stuck with separate ldap links. Hope this helps
  9. I've used symlinks in Linux but never heard of them for windows. However a quick search turned this up. Complete Guide to Symbolic Links (symlinks) on Windows or Linux - How-To Geek This may be an interesting topic to explore in windows.
  10. Both of these are set in group policy. Computer > Policies > windows settings > Security settings > Local policies > security options The two settings you want are; Interactive logon: Do not display last user name Interactive logon: Do not require CTRL+ALT+DEL Hope that helps. Edit this was the first post when I clicked reply
  11. I want to update everyone; Mimio sent me the link to 9.14 as well and I have done a few tests with it. Installs over 7.0 yes Installs over 8.0 yes Uninstalls silently yes You will need to add a few taskkill commands before it will install properly, you cannot have any mimio software running during the install. Let’s all hope there is not a regression in the next version.
  12. @AshishAggarwal With your comment about my developers, are you a Mimio rep? Your name looks familiar. If you are, a feature request would be to have the option to set the update preference during install time, and a method to programmatically change it later as well. also welcome to the forums! Thanks
  13. Thanks for the response @AshishAggarwal I am aware of that setting to do it manually, but I want to change 250 laptops. I will need a gpo or a script. Thanks,
  14. Does anyone know how to disable Mimio update check? My teachers get a message to update frequently and until Mimio fixes their install it is not feasible to push out every minor version. I have used procmon to try and determine a registry value that could be set with no luck. I will try again, the setting has to be stored somewhere. Thank you,
  15. Someone once told me if you have to do it more than once script it. I use batch files for trivial repetitive tasks usually in conjunction with PDQ deploy and installers. A few examples: Somehow one of my images got set to the wrong time zone, I push out a .bat file with PDQ to set the correct time zone. VLC media players silent install does not like to upgrade so my batch file uninstalls the old one then installs the new one. Most recently I had to setup a lab for testing and there was software to install changes resolution, register the computer on the site, and install their active X controls. I wrote a quick batch to install the software, change resolution, and set the publisher as a trusted publisher, and launch IE to their site to be registered. For my more advanced scripts I use PowerShell. I used to use VBS for my user creation script but that was a copy and change to my needs job. I wrote my own user creation script in PowerShell without copying anyone and that was good. If you manage windows my advice would be to learn PowerShell first because you can run most of the batch commands and it is the direction Microsoft wants to go. Also it is a snap to manage user accounts with the quest AD cmdlets. Happy scripting;
  16. @SYNACK I contacted support but didn't specifically ask for the new version, I just stated my issues and their responce was not helpful. I am waiting to here back from them again. If they come back with the results of msiexc /? like they did with version 8 I will ask for the new beta. Here are the requests And their response and my response to that
  17. I am glad this got elevated to the devs. I asked for support back on version 8 and was given the list of msiexec switches. I do not use GPO I use PDQ deploy so my users would see a message that says a program is trying to display a message. The message was that progress bar. My work around was to write an encoded job with CPAU and asked the users to install it. I was going to look at an autoit script or repackaging but if 9.14 is deployable that would be great. How can I get a copy, or is there an ETA on it. Thanks,
×
×
  • Create New...