Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

abillybob

Members
  • Posts

    5,478
  • Joined

Everything posted by abillybob

  1. Cheers all I'll keep my head down then
  2. So you guys reckon I should just leave it? I just thought it was a bit rude and cheeky that they didn't come and let us know first or bother asking? If a neighbour did this so that they could access something under your lawn would you just leave it and forget about it as long as they put it back? *Not being sarcastic genuinely interested.
  3. Hi All So I work staggered hours and today wasn't having to go in until 10.30am. We have moved house which I'm sure a lot of you know and have been very happy living there, minimal problems and the building manager has looked after us well. Up until now... I was awoken by the builders doing some jack hammering outside our house, but this is normal behaviour and they've been doing similar in previous weeks so I just ignored it and went back to bed. It came to around 9.30 when I have to leave for work and I noticed the builders had ripped up our turf and dirt around our house, they never asked if this was ok or notified us. I looked around and they'd all b*ggered off somewhere and because I had to go to work I couldn't wait about so I took some photos and got in my car. Tried calling the sales office but they don't start until around 11am and I called an on-site technician that has helped us with snagging before. He told me that they're having to dig it up to access the cobbles as the council has requested they straighten them up. If they'd of come and seen me and asked if it was ok I wouldn't of had a problem but the fact they'd obviously waited until a time where they believed myself and my wife would be out at work and then done the job, I presume hoping they could patch it up and "we'd never know" kind of attitude it a bit naughty. Surely they're not allowed to do this without my permission, makes me worry what they're doing when we aren't there! Is there anything I can do? I'm going to speak with the sales manager when they're in but I'm unsure if I can charge them for access on my land or if I have to shut up and deal with it. Surely it'd be like me going over to a neighbours property, not asking but digging up their garden so I can access a service. They don't own our land! Any advice would be most appreciated!
  4. So this is a bit of a response to the PlusNet one as I see they haven't been very good quite recently so I thought I'd post about the companies we are happy with to give good feedback about personal broadband companies. Currently I'm with BT and have to say, though they might not be the cheapest they've been really good to me, speed has always been the best even when I lived out in the sticks and any issues they resolve quickly. Every time I've called their customer support up it's been a British call centre and they're always polite and helpful! On another note I just got a call from them as they since dropped the price of their 150mbps package and as a result will be moving me from 75mbps to double the speed at no extra cost!
  5. My preference is petrol anytime! A simpler engine for me to work on and understand. Glowplugs - urghhhh!
  6. Thanks all for your help with this. Found her a new car and managed to get £700 knocked off the price and some mats thrown in. Ended up finding a 67 reg Ford KA+ with the Zetec engine, only 3,000 miles on the clock and full service history for £7,000 minus the £2,000 they gave us for her car so overall pretty happy and she's happy she didn't end up with a Micra
  7. Trust me in this case it isn't. I have always worked on every car I've ever owned myself but the mini's are just designed badly and it's not just my OH's mini either she has spoken to 4 of her work colleagues and my dad's partner all of which have a Mini and they've had the exact same problems with them. My dad used to be a mechanic and hates Mini's with a passion I also know a fair few mechanics near me very well due to my dad and they all hate working on them because everything's designed badly. A small little issue can take hours to fix because of where it's placed or how it is on the car. An example of this is one of her sidelight bulbs went not that long ago and needed replacing, although Mini don't seal the bulb housing properly in the front bumpers and to even get to it properly the wheel needs to be taken off.. A wheel for a flaming bulb seriously! Anyway whole ordeal took me 5 hours and a lot of brute force as the housing had gotten wet and the plastic had fused to the other plastic within the housing causing almost like a weld. Garages (unless the mini is less than a couple of years old) don't even bother doing this and just quote for a brand new housing... all over a £2 bulb which then costs around £80. I checked with 4 garages all of which laughed and practically told me "Good Luck" knowing I'd struggle getting the bulb out. That's a small issue though, we have had problems with the interior falling apart (again all the other mini's have the same issue) we have had problems with the brakes often, this car goes through brake pads and discs around once a year, FYI she drives on a motorway. Had problems with her head gasket and the gasket for the fuel tank... I could go on. Anyway all these other things have costed on average around £300 a time and it's been every other month something else has gone wrong with it. Just becoming a money trap now, the car itself is only worth £2,000 so there's no point putting more money into it. Her clutch is high now as well, I'm sure that's the next thing to go and it's going to be silly money! Lol - I can't talk, used to own a Peugeot 206 convertible when I was younger... Now that's a car used for hairdressers! I agree with you though love the Mazda's, so does she. We're hoping to find one on our trip out that they just haven't uploaded to the internet yet, but only if we're lucky I suppose, she likes other cars too but I would like to try and keep it as local as I can. We're quite fortunate as all the dealers near us are large well known dealers so I'm not too worried and with my dad knowing some mechanics locally we have a pretty good idea on who to avoid. My Peugeot I bought from a back street dealer in Wolverhampton, worst choice of my life. The car was falling apart literally only had it 3 months, exhaust nearly falling off as the support brackets had been bodged, paint would strip off the metal if you washed it, clutch went. It only had 65,000 miles on the clock. I learnt my lesson with that one so don't mind paying a bit extra in order to make sure it's from somewhere reputable.. if car dealerships can be these days! Would love to, like electric cars the Nissan Leaf is nice but the cost of the cars goes up considerably, plus the cars she's looking at are exempt from tax anyway and have very good MPG so by the time I've made my money back in fuel costs etc would be a long time away. A South Park fan... Like it You've got the stories mixed up. It's not that I can't move jobs because I can't afford to take a lower wage because I could live on a lower wage as a temporary measure. The main reason is I'm unhappy where I am and the toxicity that is this place, some things have calmed down a bit now so I'm chugging a long, trying not to think about it too much. The reason I want to stay in this job is because the pay is good and we live a comfortable life. It also means that we can save well in the event of an emergency I want to try and stay out of debt as much as I can and so savings are very important to me. We have budgetted and gone through everything to ensure we can afford it without loans etc... I'd rather not spend this money to be honest at 6k is a lot but I also don't want my wife driving along the motorway unable to get to work because something else has gone which has happened twice this year. Though cars are a bad investment as they depreciate I'd rather spend £6,000 that will get me a car almost new (10,000 miles 17 reg Nissan Micra for instance) than spend £2,000 with 80,000 miles and an 11 plate which is what she's already got only to find out the owner previously has raced it round and bashed it into things within it's life the younger the car is the more "likely" it will be more reliable as worst case scenario Mr boy racer has only raced it around for 10,000 miles of it's life compared to 80-90,000. I want to minimise my chances of anything going wrong for her with this, it's been a stressful year for her this year with her car and it's important she can get to work and back safely.
  8. Lol - Buying her a new car doesn't guarantee anything now we're married SO what you're saying is if they don't ask then I don't tell but if they do I should point it out to them... If we where to buy the car there and then couldn't we just call up her current insurance and get them to change the insurance to her new car? Then also couldn't we just tax the car on our phone at the dealership? Sorry just unsure, not sure if we have to wait for documents etc..? Love Mazda's my mum had an old Mazda 323f for years when I was younger, best car she ever drove! I like most Japanese brands to be honest. I've had bad experiences with anything French or German (even though German cars are supposed to be reliable) but everything Jap I've brought has been a dream! Problem is not many Mazda's near us and because we want a quick turn around and for the dealership to be local just in case we need to take it back for any reason it's a bit gutting! Love the Mazda 2's even if they are a little girly! Thanks for your advice on what to keep an eye out for it's a big help! It's the labour cost more so than anything, plus hers is a diesel Mini so they're quite hard to come by, loads on eBay for Petrol but her sump is almost attached to the gearbox... Carp design I know! Like the Dacia's would definitely be a car I'd look at getting if I was to get a new car. I know they're French so I'm going against my rule but I did have a Renault Clio and that was a brilliant reliable little thing, but I looked after it well! So I would personally consider a Dacia! Problem is the OH isn't to keen on the looks of the car... Thanks everyone for your help it's most appreciated! It'll be the first car I'll be buying on my own without my parents there so I'm not used to bargaining etc..
  9. Hi All So long story short my OH has a Mini One 1.6 and had it since the day she passed her test. It's an 11 plate, all we've had is issues with it to the point where it's cost us nearly £2,000 this year and that with me doing most of the work myself. I've never come across a car that is this awful but this thread isn't to rant. We have decided to trade it in as I'm worried next it could be a big expense. The car needs a new sump because the aluminium casing has cracked, only a hairline crack but enough to slowly leak oil, spoke to a welder and due to where the crack is and how it is it's incredibly difficult to repair. Her car is apparently worth around £2,100 part exchange and we're thinking about just going to a local dealership and trading it in for a new car. The reason for this thread is to get a bit of feedback on a couple of things: If we part exchange the car with this crack in the engine could it result into any legal action being taken against us if we just play dumb like we didn't know? I get that this is dishonest and morally wrong thing to do! What cars are reliable, cheap, easy to fix and what would you recommend? We're currently looking at Japanese makes such as Hyundai, Nissan etc... and another brand Ford. The car needs to be able to be had with less than 20,000 on the clock, no older than 4 years and our maximum budget is 6k If we see a car we like and are happy to buy can we drive it away there and then or is there so many days waiting time to pick the car up? Any other advice like things to look out for or things to say to a car sales person as I've heard they're the devil in sales would be most appreciated Cheers guys!!
  10. If you have some money to burn... these are brilliant bits of kit. Installed one in my father in laws home. He has problems as the house is very large and BT's homeHub wouldn't cut it. Installed this as he didn't want wiring around the house and I was surprised how well it works! https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ubiquiti-Amplifi-4-Ports-System-Wireless/dp/B01L9O08PW/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=unifi+amplifi&qid=1571306485&sr=8-1
  11. Hey All So I have a Corsair AIO cooler that I brought around 7 years ago... Old I know! It's been working fine and it's installed on my Ryzen 2700X which I haven't got around to overclocking yet. Issue is that each time I turn on my PC now I hear this awful sound from the pump, almost like bubbles going through the system! Not sure if this means it's time to get a new one or if there's no harm done keeping it like this? The weird thing is that the Cooler after 5 - 10 minutes of being on the noise will disappear until I turn my PC on again. Can any of you advise? I don't want to ruin my CPU. I don't think my temps are too good, looking at Ryzen Master it shows the temperature when idling around the 64oc mark, so I'm a bit worried!
  12. Would this not cause problems with Outlook communicating with Mail server though? Cheers will have a look see what I can find out! Exactly... silly I know! But what will be will be I suppose
  13. Hi All The MD here has requested that all staff use Outlook rather than Office 365 Online for emails which is fine but they still need to have access to the website to access OneDrive etc... I was playing with some ideas but can't think of a way to make this work. Does anyone have any clue how to make this work? It'd be a big help! In my opinion I'm not bothered what they use, always left it up to the user to decide what suits them best and I did say this but... Thanks All
  14. Already tried that, just resets the counter again. Sorry! It's a Mac Server so I'm not too worried, me want some new software!!!
  15. PC is really quick.. Not quite sure what justify's this. It's been running for 11 hours and doesn't look like it wants to complete. Anybody with the same issue?
  16. Not sure if this is of help but Sophos home will allow an administrator to block categories of websites such as Adult content etc... Then you could always invest in a router? I had an old Asus DSL-N55U a couple of years back, moved full Unifi kit now but that little router was able to block websites by just typing them into a list. You could set time limits and things also to particular devices.
  17. Replaced the battery with a known working one, so not battery. I've flipped the circuit board over and had a good look can't see anything either. It's really strange! I think that maybe I've damaged one of the cables to be honest!
  18. Does anyone have any ideas? Sorry to be a pain!
  19. Hi Guys Apologies I'm doing this on my phone just in case the formatting is all over the place. I recently had an issue with my left joy con analogue stick drifting. So I opened it up and changed the analogue stick. Now though the joy con wont turn on, lights won't blink. Although connecting to the switch everything works (all buttons respond as should) although it reports the battery on the controller is low... It isn't recently fully charged and it refuses to come up with the charge icon on the controller. Not the battery as I've swapped this out and I've checked all the ribbon cables are in fully! Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing it? I've checked the circuit board and can't see any signs of damage either! I've taken it apart again just in case you guys can see some on the circuit board that I can't! If any of you can save my bacon I'd really appreciate it!
  20. I think you should pay me for being so attractive to be honest so we'll call it even! You're welcome by the way!
  21. You amazing man thank you
  22. Thanks mate although setting it to what you have above prevents staff changing files in the department folders.. That's how I had it first! Haha how much are we talking? I know about 2008R2 we have an update scheduled for January, thanks though!
  23. No luck unfortunately if I do that no one can access the shared area at all! Here's a screenshot of the permissions I set... I'm confused as to what to do with the sharing permissions?
  24. Inheritance isn't on all the sub folders each have their own permissions! Ah ok thanks @forkies I'll give that a go!
  25. Hi All Hoping someone can help. I must be doing something stupid but my brain can't work it out. We have a shared area and inside that folder on the server there are other folders sorted out by department such as sales, HR, productions etc... I don't want the users being able to create another folder in the root directory but want them to be able to change and edit things in the subsequent folders they have access to. All of our folders such as HR will have the security permission so that the HR Security Group has full control but I only want them to have read access to the root directory. I have tried changing the root directory's sharing permissions to "Everyone" read only but this then stop people for some reason editing files in the department folders, same goes for changing the root directory's security permissions to everyone "read" it stops people editing things in the department folders so I can't win? If someone can point out what my Friday brain isn't seeing I'd really appreciate that! Thanks
×
×
  • Create New...