We have here CC3 network, and we just asked RM how much would it be to move to CC4. It wasn't cheap, as we would have to have RM engineers on site, upgrade licenses for around 300 PCs and so on. And we would like to move to Windows 7 and Windows 2008 server. As we can't afford the move to CC4 we can either stay with cc3 or go to Vanilla network.
Yes RM makes it easy, you can have support etc. But some thing are fiddly, very often the package builder does not work properly, and you have to create just normal MSI like you would on vanilla. Windows update are limited by RM, and they are not really quick with releasing them. As I already have licenses for Windows 7 and WIN2k8 I think I will be mowing next summer to vanilla.
We will probably ask for help from our neighbourhood school (as they run vanilla ans swear by it) and we will move.
Support contract will save us nearly 5k per year and we will save on CC3 license with any additional PC. I know that none of school network is vanilla, as every school use lots of none MS tools, scripts etc. But in my opinion you get more freedom on Vanilla. Time consuming? Maybe more but at the moment we are struggling with corrupted profile problem (as on cc3 every pupil has own profile), RM claims that this is normal.
So will see how it goes next year. Already I tweak few things in GPOs, strated exchange without RM help and it seems to work well - so I think I will be able to manage that, but time will tell.