Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

dgsmith

Members
  • Posts

    1,403
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by dgsmith

  1. We've used John for multiple items over the years - the last batch of machines he delivered in person =) Except for a HDD in one being duff there really isn't anything bad I can say. The only gripe I have (which is more of a "keeping ahead of the competition") is that they need to reduce their prices on the desktops, as they're now in the top end of the pricing scale, with nearly all other remanufactured hardware of same/similar spec considerably cheaper.
  2. I emailed what I think is your address ([email protected]) at end of July. I managed to solve it myself eventually so it wasn't a major issue though. I used a discount code I found on google however seeing there is an edugeek discount I'd feel a bit miffed if I could have saved more
  3. PC2 is typically DDR2 - you can get 400mhz (3200) in DDR2 but they are the slowest band and I think actually quite hard to get hold of (seeing as there isn't really demand for DDR2 ram at DDR1 speeds)!
  4. I went with CS New Media too, although when I emailed Carl over a query he never got back to me
  5. You just need a tone tester - tons on ebay less than £20 - they are no frills but do the job. A tone tester doesn't need all other bits and fancy pieces if all you want it to be able to trace a cable from source to destination.
  6. Misco got 4GB DDR3 starting at less than £11.. just.. crazy(!) http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=518276&CatId=3199
  7. As above, does it encompas ALL hardware (desktops, printers, switches, laptops etc)? I can't find any clarity on that. Quite a massive shock. Whilst we only have a handful of HP desktops, we've been very happy with them and have a number of Procurve switches too - another line I think HP have done very well in.
  8. Wow.. nearly 3 years ago so memory really struggling here! TBH I really can't remember what it was, but I don't remember it being an issue for long so it couldn't have been a big one for us to sort. In hindsight maybe I should have posted back here when we sorted it for ref in future for others! I know around that time we downloaded the-then latest version of Eclipse and made a updated package (with CC4) - whether this would for good measure or as the solution, again I can't remember. Also check the file/folder permissions area in CC4 to ensure it is still present in there to attach to the database (i.e: with us, the database is on RMPublic).
  9. Was looking at eBaying them for about £1.20 a pop but i'd say £20 for all + whatever P&P is? There may be someone here though who's school is in a better financial situation than our's and who may be able to donate to you for nowt, so you may want to hold and see what other responses there are first. Otherwise, we can arrange something (instead or as well as) with our stuff.
  10. We're in a similar boat though finding that DDR2 is still worth paying for but not DDR1. We have about 25 sticks of 256 DDR1 going spare now, as we're upgrading most to 1x 1GB or 2x 512MB. I am guessing though maybe single 256MB sticks isn't enough (unless your mobos have 4 DIMMs)? Can't believe that 2GB DDR3 is now £7.50 a pop when last year it was close to £30!
  11. Interestng, and explains why the move-to-front approach is used by some. Unfortunately for me, I get all my punctures on the back and i've had to replace the 2 mich. tyres on the rear within 6 months of buying the new car (and with 90% tread left) which has left me wary about buying new/top-end on the back.
  12. Just read this on BBC news website - says it all really.
  13. I thought Clegg was away too only a few days ago? The mirror ran a story a few days ago that cleggy, ozzy boy and the cammy where away at the same time. I genuinelly felt sorry for Boris Johnson though - he seemed to take alot of the blunt on the streets..
  14. The thread has made for very interesting reading and thanks to all that have expressed their view. FWIW, I ended up buying 2 new Bravuris tyres (a sub-brand of continental I believe?) for £55 each fitted. In the end it was a combination of wanting the guarantee of new tyres on the front particulaely, and also needing to do something immediately as they were borderline illegal! In saying that, it's not put me off considering part-worns in future (particularly on the back tyres).
  15. Noone else can offer any suggestions then?
  16. Dell 755s? These will be core 2 machines right? Makes me wonder why we can only barely afford refurbished 745s when you're able to offload 755s! Pity you're all the way down the other end of the country though Tier1online may be a good bet too - they buy machines in quantity for resale (especially the quantity you're looking at offloading).
  17. Just to clarify this is MRBS and not any other alternate, commercial or otherwise, booking system. This is a version significantly customised by myself. I'm currently in the process of an overhaul of our MRBS installation which includes transforming it into something more up to date! I've done a fair bit but have come a bit unstuck in trying to figure out how to add a hyperlink without it fudging up the formatting! I've attached two photos and the issue is on the test booking I made (in green). When I try and hyperlink the edit thumbnail, it removes the booker's name (and link) from the booking entry. Can't understand it! My code for this area in functions.inc (near the bottom, just above //end function draw cell) if ($times_along_top) { echo "\n"; } else { echo "\n"; // we want clipping of overflow } echo ($is_repeat) ? "\"images/repeat.png\"" : ''; $user = getUserName(); if ($user == $descr) { //echo "images/edit.png"; echo "images/edit.png"; } echo ""; echo "$descr\n"; echo "\n"; echo "$long_descr\n"; } echo "\n"; I have two lines below if ($user == $descr), 1 commented out. The one live in this code shows the icon fine as per screenshot 1, but then I swap the commenting and make the hyperlinked one live, it screwed up as per screenshot 2. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Hopefully the customisations I have made won't hinder anyone's ability to offer advice
  18. Alot more responses than I expected so thanks for that. Seems quite unanimous that most folk just won't entertain part-worns. I'm wondering though if this is because they really aren't worth it or if it's because of a single bad experience? Admittedly I can't disgaree with the comment about scrap yards not necessarily knowing if the tyres are 100% undamaged (or previously "repaired"). FTR, when I mention part-worn I mean specifically where the wear is fractional and has at least 6mm remaining - the false economy statement is certainly true for say 5mm and below.
  19. I've always been somewhat concious of how I spent money; when it comes to my cars in the past, I have always gone for part-worns (though the cars have never been that fantastic anyway). Bit different now that I have a new model Fiesta, owned from new and need to replace the fronties. To get both new & fitted I am looking at around £110 for bridgestone/firestone/uniroyal type brand, though after something a teacher said, I am now seriously considering travelling to some scrap yards seeing if I can get a decent (min 6mm) part-worn. Does anyone else do this and/or can recommend or advise of what to look out for? I must admit I am a little wary seeing as a car in a scrappie is usually there through damage of some sort, though the potential saving makes it worthwhile looking into.
  20. I've never actually attempted contacting a company before regarding items well out of warranty asking for something along these lines before; in this instance I wouldn't know whether to request they be repaired, advice on the problem or just request they be replaced! Would seem a long shot - would I even stand a chance? We haven't opened up any of the monitors as it seems the problem is just on the LCD display which would involve tampering with this directly.
  21. I very much doubt they'd be covered under any standard warranty, having been acquired in summer 05 so now being 6yrs old. The model of them is Philips 170S. Is there any such thing as being able to get a replacement after this many years if there is a proven manu defect (given there are now a fair few like this)?
  22. We've had this issue for a while but it seems to be progressively getting worse on a particular batch of our Philips monitors. See the screenshots as I can't really think of a way to describe it well! Each screenshot is a different monitor. Want to know if anyone knows what it is, what is causing it and whether it can be fixed/removed/rectified? We highly doubt it is impact/damage as we have ONLY seen it on this specific batch of monitors, no other batch and even on trustworthy teacher computers, office computers etc.
  23. haha, oh dear, that'll teach me from just reading replies and basing my post on that!
  24. IT0101, IT0102.. IT2101, IT2102.. DT4801, DT4802.. ..etc. Can't be doing with long names or even putting the word "Room" before the room name, as it just takes longer to type! Our system we can identify very quickly the computer and it's location and usually no more than 6 characters.
  25. Just download Movie Maker for Windows Vista (v6 I think) and make an MSI using that. I wouldn't go near WLE with a bargepole and used WMM from Vista to deploy onto Win7.
×
×
  • Create New...