-
Posts
1,403 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by dgsmith
-
Fresh install of 9.0 worked fine. Uploaded to 9.7 (replacing only the files included in the 9.7 zip), to be greeted with internal server error popup on the landing screen and an error page when going to MyFiles: Line 78 is highlighted red. Have deleted the config file and rerun the setup creating a new config but this hasn't resolved it.
-
We have used a package for our Adobe CS4 software for some years made using Adobe's own toolkit and this has worked fine. However, the package was made on a 32bit workstation so the 64bit version of Photoshop didn't get included and we now have 64bit Windows installs. I'd have thought (as an interim measure) it'd be a simple case of getting the original CD media and modifying the install to add the 64bit photoshop in? Well this did seem to be the case and it installed fine, however has gone into trial mode and asks for serial. No problem I thought, we have our site license which covers everything to do with CS4.. or not. The serial isn't accepted for Photoshop 64bit. I tried doing a manual install of a few of the other titles on another machine and putting the serial in which works fine, but for some reason Photoshop 64bit doesn't like it. I have spent about an hour yesterday trying to find a way to contact Adobe without having to phone (haven't really got time to be on hold), yet I can neither find a working link for live chat nor a way to create new support tickets on our account area. Is this something unique to us or is there likely a known reason why Photoshop 64bit doesn't like our single volume license serial?
-
HAP won't load if local My Documents isn't accessible
dgsmith replied to dgsmith's topic in Home Access Plus+
Version is 8.4.1114.1700.. so we're a year out.. I guess I should update too when I get the chance! I know how My docs is setup My query was whether this should have any bearing on whether HAP loads up or not? Does HAP need to access the local machine My docs in order to actually work? It just seemed odd it did work when a connection was established but didn't when the connection wasn't there. Ideally, it would work regardless whether My Docs was accessible or not, though it seems not always to be the case for us. -
Have noticed recently (and it may have been an issue for some time) that staff who try and use HAP at home on their network laptops (where they have My Documents mapped to N: which in turn is their network drive) can't seem to load HAP. This works fine when they are on site as their My Documents has an active connection. As a test, I disconnected N: whilst in school where it works, to find as expected that HAP then stopped working (pretty much just a blank screen). Users get the username/password area, but as soon as credentials are entered it's just blank. I see no reason why HAP should rely on the local My Documents to point/be conencted somewhere, as it's entirely web based? Can't find what version we have (I thought it would be in a help/about link!), though I haven't upgraded since early/mid this year, so not sure if it's been addressed (or known) since then, or even if it's just unique to us!
-
I still use winamp as my main home comp audio media player to this day, every day. Used it for god knows how many years.. disappointed about the announcement
-
Can't say we've had that problem at all on any switch a line has been attached to (besides the fact we'd be lucky to have a switch anywhere near costing £4k)! Plus the cheap ones do have proper connector blocks. Given the budget here is max £100 then there is a limit how good/safe/functional etc that can get. If you could stretch what you have to spend then Intellitone kit isn't a bad choice at all and you'd probably be glad you spent the extra. I'm quite happy with the cheap one which has been used in many scenerios without a hiccup, but each to their own
-
We use a £15 one bought on ebay and whilst it's simplistic, it does the job (that is, sends a tone down the line). We didn't need anything fancy and this has saved our bacon countless times. Can't say it's been tested across any long length (over 30m) but the longer length would just mean a fainter tone and it's still usually possible at longer lengths to work out the tone signal. More expensive ones may offer cat5 line testers as well as maybe many other advanced stuff but when we asked ourself do we need that (as we already have 2 very decent dedicated line testers) then the answer was simply we just wanted something that would send a tone to be picked up at the other end which is exactly what we got.
-
Our internet home page points to the intranet server and has always just used the actual server name, however I have wanted to move to a more consistent setup using our main domain name (thus setting an internal DNS mapping to intranet.ourdomain.com). Quite bizarrely, for half the school (mixed students, staff) this asks for a username/password to the actual web server (popup challenge box) whereas the other half it loads up the index.php as expected. For those who get the user/pass challenge, they can manually browse to the intranet by going direct to the server without issue. Any reason why this would be happening? In IIS 7.5 (Win Svr 2k8 R2) we use Windows authentication (as there are a few things that we need this for, such as determining whether they're staff or student and auto login to mrbs etc); if we enable anon auth then it causes other issues. Is this something simple that needs changing?
-
So there isn't really anyone who has seen this or could make any useful suggestions?
-
The toolbox had this page but none of them seem to be the same as what we're experiencing
-
Surprised noone has seen this or is able to offer any advice?
-
Got an odd problem on a HP CP1215 whereby on the left side of the page, all the colours seem to not be aligned correctly but this appears to correct itself as it gets towards the right side of the page. Have done several calibrations and even an NVRAM initialization without success. The scans below shows it a bit better. The cartridges were install new when the issue started however I put the old ones back in thinking that maybe those cartridges where duff (hence why it shows as 0 and not available). Anyone seen this before and could offer some advice?
-
If it's joomla then just install the akeeba module which backs up the mysql database. I migrated our site from Lancs to vidahost last week (we've also moved from the shoddy one connect) and it backed up everything.. no need to faff with something 3rd party.. If you get stuck just drop me a PM. I just hope you don't have a moodle install you want to transfer too as that wasn't exactly the best experience we had..
-
Mysql command line statement doesn't do anything
dgsmith replied to dgsmith's topic in Web Development
aye, worked fine in the windows shell, cheers for that.. i'll know for next time -
I'm trying to import a large sql dump (~250MB) and failed via mysql query manager so am trying via the CLI. When I am at the point where is says "mysql>" I type in the syntax (mysql -u -p < - obviously I am tryping in the correct info) however the cursor just moves to the next line and outputs "->" without doing anything? Nowhere I have read suggests this shouldn't just work. What reason would there be for the cli to just go to the next line and do nothing?
-
Moodle upgrade nightmare (1.9 - 2.2)
dgsmith replied to dgsmith's topic in Virtual Learning Platforms
So it seems like the way the passwords are being stored is differently.. when changing an account password to the same password as before, the md5 hash in the database changes completely, which is probably why existing users can't login.. argh! How would I make this use the original method? -
Moodle upgrade nightmare (1.9 - 2.2)
dgsmith replied to dgsmith's topic in Virtual Learning Platforms
Moodledata folder about 70GB Next time CLI will be the way forward I think. Lost count of the amount if refreshes and timeouts though! As we barely had any custom plugins I opted to try and have them upgrade at the time.. probably won't next time(!) It did eventually upgrade.. apparantly, after I removed some suspect plugins and there is now what appears on first glance a working setup, though initially only the "administrator" user login worked. From what I have read it would normally have something to do with the password salt needing to be copied to the new config, but our old config had no password salt reference. It would seem that I can login as admin, browse to a user and change their password that way which then allows login, but alas certainly don't want to be doing that for everyone. Would there be any other reason why logins no longer work? I would considering having users change their password themselves via the change password form, but this returns a 404 not found despite the php file being there, quite bizarely! It's a mysql database for accounts (ldap will be at some point) and all accounts are still there and active. -
Moodle upgrade nightmare (1.9 - 2.2)
dgsmith replied to dgsmith's topic in Virtual Learning Platforms
I wish it was as simple as it just freezing. It wouldn't be too bad if there was a way to make it skip errors or things it can't find, do the rest and let me sort the issues out manually at the end, but it's halting on every thing and it's just not viable, and I can't see a way to change this behaviour.. -
Having the most torrid time with moodle. We're migrating to a new server and in the process decided to take the opportunity to upgrade to 2.2 in the interim. However, despite having started the actual upgrade bit around 2:30pm yesterday, it's still barely done. The plugins it seems to either fail on for one reason or another or simply just time out. I've amended the php execution time and the timeout time for cgi in IIS though it's failing every 5-10mins or so on something. I don't think I could stand refreshing all day and sorting out each little niggle manually. Should it not just upgrade what it can then throw back issues in the end? For instance this morning it had stopped because upgrading a table found to not exist and go progress any further. I see the advice is to the use the CLI which is probably too late now though i'd cry if I had to scrap it and start again..
-
Champion, worked a treat, thanks
-
First thing I tried was reset to factory defaults.. it seems it's hard coded in somewhere.. bizarely!
-
We have a number of DC7700s which are being recycled however the school name is showing on the POST screen each time the machines load, even though I can't find a reference in the BIOS. The BIOS on each has been flashed at some point but I can't remember if it only started to appear then. I'd much rather be able to remove this reference before the machines leave us but can't seem to find any useful information on how to do this. I imagine reflashing the BIOS too would just retain the name. Don't suppose anyone has come across this? It appears just below the logo in the middle, centre aligned. I must admit i'd never really noticed it as a problem before, or even at all..
-
Tried this, nothing.. I gave it enough time too and enough key mashing to know it wasn't going to play ball.. Whilst that would be the long-winded way of rrsetting the switch (and not one i'd be entirely happy with), it unfortunately doesn't explain why the console should be unresponsive. It's possible this may resolve upon a reset but I didn't think the console could "die" in this manner. Trying to get it swapped under warranty seems like a wishful-thinking scenario though, despite claims above that little to no proof of purchase/error is necessary..
