Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

uncle_joe

Members
  • Posts

    2
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by uncle_joe

  1. It looks as my bios is fubar, as I tried all possible file names people suggested on various forums, including the orginial names, and many *.fd versions (from 1.16 to 1.45). I can power up the laptop using Fn-Esc trick, I see that some media initialisation going on with the media LED blinking and CD or floppy spinning. According to floppy sounds it looks as the laptop tries to get something (short creaks) but do not make any serious file reading, which would be easily identifiable by specific long creaking sound. As last resort, I have ordered a new bios chip on eBay (cost 18AUD with shipping). Some guy from the UK sell them for pretty much all ACER notebook models. Surely the microchip replacement is going to be a tricky thing to do, as the bios microchip is so tiny. Fortunately, I have a friend in Phys Lab with all equipment necessary for microchip soldering and unsoldering. I would not recommend anybody to try this in home conditions, unless soldering of microchip-boards is your hobby, and your name, if not Tony Stark, than Ivan Vanko. Thank you for response anyway!
  2. Psy, should the name for .FD file be matter? Or you just copied the .FD file from zip-file without any name changes? I have the same notebook and the same problem , i.e., failed bios update. I found that I can power up the notebook using the recipe you so nicely described. Yes, it tries to access media. However, nothing happens. Some people on other forums say that the name of the rom-file might be important, i.e., there might be some convention on under what name this file must be present on media. Some say this name is depends on the model of the notebook. Could you answer what name did you use when burn the rom-file (*.FD) on CD and what is your model no. engraved on bottom of the notebook under "Aspire 5720 Series"? Mine no. is ICL50. I tried to contact the ACER Support, but could not get any useful information from them in this regard. They response was to read README files inside zip-files. However, none of zip-files, at least for this model, has any information on how update bios using crisis recovery procedure described here. Tho only information those README file inside zip-files contain is on how to update BIOS under normal conditions using DOS or Windows. Does somebody reading this discussion get such an information from ACER? Maybe owners of different models were lucky to get an instruction of this sort inside zip-files with bios updates for their models? Please, respond if you lucky to get such an instruction. Regards, uncle_joe
×
×
  • Create New...